• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for a Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player

Remomoreira

I usually listen to my CDs and music files (FLAC and DSD) on the Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player, connected via HDMI to the Pioneer VSX-534 Receiver, and I'm considering replacing the Blu-ray player with a Marantz CD6007 CD Player to perform the same functions (play CDs and music files (FLAC and DSD)).

Although the switch seems very advantageous to me, in terms of audio quality (a DEDICATED CD player is expected to play CDs with better quality than a Bluray Player, which plays several formats in addition to CD), some audiophiles are advising me not to do that, and to simply add a good DAC to the Sony Blu-ray Player.

What do you think?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Components that definitely don't affect sound quality:
-CD Transport

Components that most likely don't affect sound quality:
-DAC
-Amp (unless clipping)

Components that strongly affect sound quality:
-Speakers
-Room treatment
-DSP

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're connecting the Sony bluray player HDMI to Pioneer so you're using the Dac in the Pioneer.
You say CD player is better than DVD player because it only does CDs yet you want to change the Dac when using the Sony which doesn't affect the tracking mechanism. I don't follow this logic.

Trying to understand what you're wanting to do
1. Sony > new Dac> analog in on Pioneer
2. Marantz> analog in on Pioneer.
3. Sony > HDMI, digital, in on Pioneer ( keep as is)

Unless the Pioneer measures really bad I doubt there's any difference but you could try a new dac with the Sony but I wouldn't spend more than $75~$125 and good return policy. I don't see using a dedicated CD player as any advantage over your Sony. I've used cheap Sony DVD players as transports and they always worked as well as any of the CD players I used back when I spun discs. The worse thing about cheap DVD players is the analog out but you're not using that.

OP
R

Remomoreira

You're connecting the Sony bluray player HDMI to Pioneer so you're using the Dac in the Pioneer.
You say CD player is better than DVD player because it only does CDs yet you want to change the Dac when using the Sony which doesn't affect the tracking mechanism. I don't follow this logic.

Trying to understand what you're wanting to do
1. Sony > new Dac> analog in on Pioneer
2. Marantz> analog in on Pioneer.
3. Sony > HDMI, digital, in on Pioneer ( keep as is)

Unless the Pioneer measures really bad I doubt there's any difference but you could try a new dac with the Sony but I wouldn't spend more than $75~$125 and good return policy. I don't see using a dedicated CD player as any advantage over your Sony. I've used cheap Sony DVD players as transports and they always worked as well as any of the CD players I used back when I spun discs. The worse thing about cheap DVD players is the analog out but you're not using that.
Would you think this an option?:

Sony digital output (coaxial) > digital input (coaxial) on Pioneer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course that's an option. Might need to go into input assignment on the Pioneer....

But where did you get the odd ideas about optical disc players?

SoundsGood64

Just posted something relevant to your query from Jan 3 2024 here:

Short answer is if you have a choice of HDMI or coax and you're listening to DSD format such as files or SACD, go with HDMI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom