• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lucaxr

Hi, I am looking to replace an outdated Blu-ray player by a more capable player. I would like to connect this player to my current amplifier, a Denon 1055R. This model only accepts analogue audio input. Therefore, the Blu-ray player has to be able to output analogue audio, as I do not own a receiver. Most budget oriented Blu-ray players only offer a digital coaxial output or HDMI.
I'm currently looking at two scenarios; either I invest in a more expensive Blu-ray player which offers analogue audio output, or I buy a 'cheaper' player and combine it with an external DAC.
For scenario 1, the more expensive option I am considering the following: Panasonic DP-UB820EB. My problem with this player is it offers much more than I require at a price point that I find hard to justify for my purpose.
For scenario 2, combining a player and a DAC, I am considering the following: Sony ubp x800m2 with Modi+. The main problem with this setup is that my housemates aren't as invested in the tech, and would rather not have two separate devices. This option would save about € 60-80.

I was wondering if there is a Blu-ray player which offers analogue audio at a price point lower than €300 and if not, which scenario seems best.

As a side note, at the price point of the Panasonic, it bothers me that the only function will be playing Blu-rays, if there is a Blu-ray player which could also stream music from (Tidal, Spotify), it would help justify the price.

Thanks in advance

TimF

Forum Donor
You might also consider buying an all regional player that plays discs from all regions as opposed to just Region 1. I have found that sometimes I cannot get a Regaion 1 DVD or BluRay but I can buy a disc coded for another region, or I find that discs from outside the USA are much less expensive. This may or may not be an issue for you. In any event, I found a Samsung player that was all regions.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If 4K Blu-ray player sell for under 150GBP, why spend 300 GBP or more for a Blu-ray player?
Low cost DACs.
I agree. Bluray Players with analogue out have lots of those (for surround) and with your stereo amplifier you need only 2 (L+R), so any cheap DAC connected to the Players SPDIF output will do. Have a look at this one measured here.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How big is the impact of these low cost DACs on audio quality? Can an untrained ear distinguish between a 30GBP DAC and a 100GBP Schiit Modi+?
What makes you think the DAC chip used in the Hifimediy is of poorer quality than then one used in the Modi?
The Hifimediy just uses simpler (lower costing) packaging.
I have no issue with you going with the Modi (it's a nice looking DAC box :))
The Modi box would offer more "supporting" hardware (inside the box) and more connections, than the Hifimediy 30GBP DAC
Supporting hardware can effect (make better) overall audio qualify.
I was just offering a lower cost option.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The sony is quite good except that it stops sometimes 3/4 on the disc.
and for dolby vision you have to go in to the menu to select it, but then again how many dolby vision disc's are there?
I bought 2 machines just in case they stop producing blu ray players so I'm covered till my death.

BJL

I have an x800m2 and have found it to be fine. It handles almost all disc formats, including SACD, DVD-Audio, and UHD 4K. The only negatives for me is that there is no front panel display and no iPhone app, making it a little inconvenient, and HDCD is not supported (I have an old Oppo 105 for that). It is possible to purchase modified units that are region free, if that is a consideration. It is very quiet in operation, little or no mechanical noise, another plus.

chelgrian

Hi, I am looking to replace an outdated Blu-ray player by a more capable player. I would like to connect this player to my current amplifier, a Denon 1055R. This model only accepts analogue audio input. Therefore, the Blu-ray player has to be able to output analogue audio, as I do not own a receiver. Most budget oriented Blu-ray players only offer a digital coaxial output or HDMI.
I'm currently looking at two scenarios; either I invest in a more expensive Blu-ray player which offers analogue audio output, or I buy a 'cheaper' player and combine it with an external DAC.
For scenario 1, the more expensive option I am considering the following: Panasonic DP-UB820EB. My problem with this player is it offers much more than I require at a price point that I find hard to justify for my purpose.
For scenario 2, combining a player and a DAC, I am considering the following: Sony ubp x800m2 with Modi+. The main problem with this setup is that my housemates aren't as invested in the tech, and would rather not have two separate devices. This option would save about € 60-80.

I was wondering if there is a Blu-ray player which offers analogue audio at a price point lower than €300 and if not, which scenario seems best.

As a side note, at the price point of the Panasonic, it bothers me that the only function will be playing Blu-rays, if there is a Blu-ray player which could also stream music from (Tidal, Spotify), it would help justify the price.

Thanks in advance
There's only really Sony and Panasonic left in the disk spinning market, technically there is also a new entrant called Reavon however they exist to service the high end market vacated by Oppo.

Unless you can find new old stock of a previous gen player then the Panasonic 820 is going to be the cheapest thing with analogue outs.

The really cheap players don't even have coax only HDMI.

The cheapest way of doing what you want is to use one of those cheap players and either use the analogue outputs from your TV if it has them or an HDMI audio de-embedder. There are a vast number of de-embedders on the market which makes it very difficult to recommend a particular one with a cromulant DAC.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheapest way of doing what you want is to use one of those cheap players and either use the analogue outputs from your TV if it has them or an HDMI audio de-embedder. There are a vast number of de-embedders on the market which makes it very difficult to recommend a particular one with a cromulant DAC.
Here and there are those tested by @amirm. There is one more but it is slightly out of budget. ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before laughing too loud pass a controlled level matched blind test between the TVs DAC and another DAC measured to be transparent.
Then you may find yourself crying a river...

Happy holidays!
peace.

chelgrian

There's only really Sony and Panasonic left in the disk spinning market, technically there is also a new entrant called Reavon however they exist to service the high end market vacated by Oppo.

Unless you can find new old stock of a previous gen player then the Panasonic 820 is going to be the cheapest thing with analogue outs.

The really cheap players don't even have coax only HDMI.

I just remembered there is another annoyance here. None of the cheap players have the ability to delay the audio signal, the first current product player that does is the Panasonic 820. As most TVs have significant processing delay if you are dealing with audio separately then you either need the player or the de-embedder to add anything up to a couple of hundred MS of audio delay depending on the TV.

All processors and AVRs do this any many TVs will synchronise audio delivered to a HDMI device via ARC.

jcarys

I would go with the Sony+DAC option. I don't know the Modi, but can it be set so that it automatically turns on when it gets an input signal? If not, there are other DACs that do. Your other option would be to go to the used market for a player that has analog out from a few years ago.

Top Bottom