• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power management for best sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I plug active monitors and dac straight to wall outlet sound is somehow better vs using extension cord. Same effect is seen in my plasma tv, from the wall outlet black is deeper and pic seems to be more ”right”. Maybe powercord cause voltage fluctuation etc. , I dont know. I have tried different ( allthough all cheap ones ) extension cords, but effect remains. I dont have enough wall outlets for all of these. Is there extension cord or device that can solve this issue? Thank you.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Clearly you are not right.
IMG_1494.jpeg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
When I plug active monitors and dac straight to wall outlet sound is somehow better vs using extension cord. Same effect is seen in my plasma tv, from the wall outlet black is deeper and pic seems to be more ”right”. Maybe powercord cause voltage fluctuation etc. , I dont know. I have tried different ( allthough all cheap ones ) extension cords, but effect remains. I dont have enough wall outlets for all of these. Is there extension cord or device that can solve this issue? Thank you.
Your are imagining things (expectation bias).

Ask yourself why would the last few feet make a difference when the power lines from the power plant or nearest substation run for a much longer distance.

Last edited:

Pareto Pragmatic

Get a voltage tester that has a plug. Test the wall outlet. Test the extension cord. Is there a difference?

I do suggest you make sure your extensions are 12 gauge wire, assuming that is what is in the wall. Some are 14 or 16 or 18, but look pretty thick.

KenA

From my understanding of a plasma screen - and maybe you can ask chat gpt since you have faith in it - black colours are when the cell is off, as in zero volts. So voltage drop (even if it did exist across an extension cord) could not effect the deepness of the black.
And for your amp I believe the power is step-down immediately from 120 (or 240) AC volts to 12-24 DC volts.

In other words, it’s not an issue unless your extension cord is damaged rubbish.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I plug active monitors and dac straight to wall outlet sound is somehow better vs using extension cord.
Which length, which AWG ? It would be very unlikely that you get any voltage drops unless your extension chord is both extremely tiny and very long...

Clearly you are not right.View attachment 347928
In case you choose to trust ChatGPT better than the ASR contributors, please do not waste our time by creating such a thread, then.

Thanks.

Edit: grilled by @BDWoody...

JSmith

Master Contributor
When I plug active monitors and dac straight to wall outlet sound is somehow better vs using extension cord. Same effect is seen in my plasma tv, from the wall outlet black is deeper and pic seems to be more ”right”.
tumblr_pyd0i7wDri1s9a9yjo1_400.gif

JSmith

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Waste your time? I ain’t have any power over your time……it’s 3 meter , don’t know about awg, but it looks like that.
img_20240207_134959.jpeg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Waste your time? I ain’t have any power over your time……it’s 3 meter , don’t know about awg, but it looks like that.View attachment 347936
All good. Nothing else needed.

Any voltage variations caused by your energy provider are much much larger than any from the power cord. Plus the built in power supplies in your amp, TV etc are designed to “equalize” power variation on the input side and provide stable power.

You seeing a difference is imagination.

threni

Major Contributor
How about google then? Shit also?
View attachment 347931
Well, it's indexing the same shit ChatGPT "learned" from, so obviously yes. Just think of ChatGPT as a "next word" simulator, not a system which somehow knows good data from bad. There's been a flurry of articles in literally the last week about how Quora is even worse than it used to be. Hard to believe, given everyone's bio would make you think they were some sort of expert/authority.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
How about google then? Shit also?

Pay attention to the last part:
The practical effect of this is negligible under essentially all situations, but it is real none the less.

The voltage drop over a normal extension cord connected to normal household electronics is absolutely miniscule.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Ok, weird that google and chatgpt says that there can be some issues, but here its like absolutely no issues.

D

Deleted member 48726

To get the best sound and the best picture quality you need an auto transformer in the end of your extension cords to mitigate the problem. One for each extension cord you have.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Ok, weird that google and chatgpt says that there can be some issues, but here its like absolutely no issues.

That's because the web is littered with mysticism and overconfident ignorance, and ChatGPT uses those things as its reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom