• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to deal with a highly asymmetrical room?

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
after many tests i find the only perfect :)solution on a asymetric room that sound really perfect on desktop and nearfield. Use a little reverb with LPF filter at 180 hz on the side that is near to wall. seem because you get from the side that have more distance to the wall the bass reflections much later as on right side it sound always as more bass reverb is on left side and give such a strange feeling as change polarity of woofers . cannot correct this with room damping or EQ. I use melda mconvolution on right channel with this settings so that reverb on bass sound on both sides simular , the mconvolution reverb have a lowpass filter inside. this i use. see screenshot . I use the builtin algorithmic reverb. for me higher frequencies as 180 hz need not reverb. it is only in the low bass range where need reverb on right side. i attach a for async room version and original drum loop. so everybody with a async right speaker near wall left far from wall can test himself if it get better or not.

reverb for async room.jpg

Attachments

• Mixdown.zip
    2 MB · Views: 20

tmuikku

Cool :) what kind of a listening test you did with, to arrive to the solution? Perhaps your reverb helps with the room modes, or just drops intensity of the bass fpr the speaker you applied it to? how much did you experiment with the setrings? I'm not sure if singular early reflections would make too much perceivable intensity to the sound, but I could be wrong, thus wondering.

I'm also having asymmetric setup, and it's not too bad due to rather narrow coverage speakers, except some issues with the lows. Happens so that at the sofa kick bass is gone for some reason, dip around 110Hz. Need to try to adjust my sub. Anyway, the point is I got similar feeling while experimenting, either speaker alone sounds just fine, but both together and it sounds phasey, and see a dip in measurement. I flipped phase of other speaker which fixes the hole, but ruins it elsewhere.

Anyway, was experimenting with desmos and made this fun experiment to see how would singular reflection from the close wall affect. While it's very much simplified experiment, it's fun to play around and see how the bass can get more or less messy with positioning, just with single sidewall, let alone all boundaries we have in our rooms, and the modes.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
How about a portable floating divider on the left? Just pull it out for critical listening.

bennybbbx

I hear it also very much an ABX. It is very strong hearable when first hear music that reverb come much more form left than from right in every song. you can try the mixdown. zip hear yourself. with headphone and the reverbed sound then it sound strange too, so verybody can simulate how a asymetric room sound. My room is L shape .I do wav example so can hear the result very much with the drums. to use it not with daw there do a impulse response with this correction reverb and speaker EQ and use a dsp with a impulse loader.

I also try with eq lowshelf reduce 0-200 hz. then i can not hear that left is louder but the strange feeling after longer hear i get too. you can reduce mconvolution the early reflections so only late reverb is add. this did not change much. the reverb is not so important many settings help alot. maybe the fool for brain is that the reverb work as a "digital" diffusor . the right speaker is rotate to left side. when i same reverb on left speaker or do only reverb on left speaker it sound even more worse. I do this so it do not hearable influence the FR. when use large concert hall reverb then it it work also great because then the own room reverb is very few in compare to reverb effect.

after time brain try to compensate and it is not so much hearable . for me when hear longer than ~15 minutes i then get bad feeeling in ears. after switch back to reverb sound all is good and i can hear as long i wish without bad feeeling. strange thing is. the async room problems and missing reverb on right side can hear even more when volume is not so loud.

bennybbbx

How about a portable floating divider on the left? Just pull it out for critical listening.

problem on all of this is the async problems happen mostly on low bass. I have a thick acoustic carpet too. My room is ___| called as L sized. My speakers are in center of this | room part but on left side there is ___ this part open . the divider do not damp the bass

Top Bottom