• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Return of Ground Loop

inuyama

Hello all,

I am currently stumped. Context: My room has always been noisy, but once I got a quality power strip and consolidated all my plugs, I was able to mostly get rid of it. I recently upgraded my rcas from some super duper cheap couple buck ones to some Audioquest ones. Noticeable difference, and my buzzing noise was gone completely.

A couple nights ago, the power strip turned off, due to some sort of voltage spike as indicated on the power strip. I reset it, and all was well. However I noticed that the subwoofer was off (Klipsch r12swi). I unplugged/plugged it, then it was functioning. But now, the noise from way before is back again.

So I tried several things. Removing all plugs from strip and adding until the noise came back. Turns out the subwoofer is the one causing noise in my speakers. Ok maybe a bad sub amp now? I removed it, and plugged in a spare BNIB klipsch sub of the same model, and its the same noise. Ok so its not my original sub, but something else. I tried moving outlets for the power strip, nothing. I tried using different power strips, nothing. I tried plugging in plugs at different orders (electricity prolly doesnt work this way but whatever im trying everything), nothing. I tried plugging in the amp/sub cables into separate and differing outlets, nothing.

Im not sure what direction to go in now. The noise was gone before but now its back, and somehow its the subwoofer being plugged in anywhere in the room that causes noise in my speakers. What else should I try? Or is a ground loop isolator a fix, or just wasted cash? Maybe change provided power cable from a 2-prong to a 3-prong(not sure this does anything)? Am I stuck with buzzing forever?

thanks all

gear:

tv(xbox/pc) > topping dx3 pro+ > male to 2 female (x2) rca > parasound hca-855a (and klipsch r12swi) > emotiva b1+

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to ground the Klipsch (which is floating ground) to the ground of your amp.

I have seen this with a two-prong Yamaha processor that created a ground loop with a 3 prong active speaker even though I was running XLR. Running a ground wire from the two prong Yamaha to the ground lug of my power conditioner fixed it.

What is two-prong AC in your setup versus three-prong?

OP
inuyama

inuyama

You need to ground the Klipsch (which is floating ground) to the ground of your amp.

I have seen this with a two-prong Yamaha processor that created a ground loop with a 3 prong active speaker even though I was running XLR. Running a ground wire from the two prong Yamaha to the ground lug of my power conditioner fixed it.

What is two-prong AC in your setup versus three-prong?
So connect the amp ground terminal to a ground on the subwoofer amp via cable? As in somewhere on the faceplate of the sub amp?

Well the speaker amp has a 3 prong power cable, whereas the subwoofer amp has a 2 prong, I assumed that this may be an issue, but im not knowledgeable enough in this to know if it would be, so I just included for more information.

Andysu

Major Contributor
return of the ground loop

86r6ke.jpg

you don't know the annoying power of the ground loop

make sure all grounds from processor to amplifiers are connected grounded correctly
make sure all positive from processor to amplifiers are connected correctly
make sure all negative from processor to amplifiers are connected correctly

then there should be any ground hum or loss of signal with , XLR , TRS DB25 balanced audio issues , unless you have a curious cats that like chewing on cables

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All the previous suggestions are quite reasonable but do not rule out the possibility that the power strip is faulty. If it has tripped due to over voltage it is possible that is now has a faulty capacitor, MOV etc.

OP
inuyama

inuyama

All the previous suggestions are quite reasonable but do not rule out the possibility that the power strip is faulty. If it has tripped due to over voltage it is possible that is now has a faulty capacitor, MOV etc.
Ive tested with different power strips, and the problem is the same still. If it was a power strip, itd be a lot easier to deal with lol.

Andysu

Major Contributor
yes cap can and yet would produce random like noise from experience to replacing with new cap and the random noise of frequencies are gone

@inuyama do a video so it can least tell someone here what the noise actually sounds like , after all this , ASR

OP
inuyama

inuyama

yes cap can and yet would produce random like noise from experience to replacing with new cap and the random noise of frequencies are gone

@inuyama do a video so it can least tell someone here what the noise actually sounds like , after all this , ASR
will do

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to narrow it down by using an extension cord and running it for the one item to an outlet on a different circuit just to see if that helped.

wwenze

Major Contributor
A couple nights ago, the power strip turned off, due to some sort of voltage spike as indicated on the power strip. I reset it, and all was well.

Your power strip has RCB or some kind of common-mode current breaker?

In this case, likely a filtering component (either capacitor or MOV) in one of your equipment has failed - initially failed-shorted but after power cycle it remains open.

This component has been eating up all the noise but when it finally failed, you don't get the filtering anymore.

BTW I'm gonna take a wild guess, are you perhaps living in Japan and using a 2-pin wall socket? That would explain the need for a breaker for using 3-pin equipment.

OP
inuyama

inuyama

Your power strip has RCB or some kind of common-mode current breaker?

In this case, likely a filtering component (either capacitor or MOV) in one of your equipment has failed - initially failed-shorted but after power cycle it remains open.

This component has been eating up all the noise but when it finally failed, you don't get the filtering anymore.

BTW I'm gonna take a wild guess, are you perhaps living in Japan and using a 2-pin wall socket? That would explain the need for a breaker for using 3-pin equipment.
I cant say for sure, but most likely (panamax p360-8). Would it be a warranty issue if so? Im not qualified to fix it myself.

nope living in hawaii. 3pin sockets all around the house.

Top Bottom