• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[FIXED] Yamaha A-S700 intermittent power-on failure (and eventually full failure)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@catch22. I looked in the Yamaha amplifier service manual for the offset calibration adjustment and there is none. So... The amp PCB will need a thorough inspection as I mentioned before to check for anything that might be causing the variation in the offset at the speaker terminals. In nearly all amplifiers a BIAS calibration adjustment is present at the amplifier circuitry for both channels and a OFFSET calibration adjustment is also included at the amplifier circuitry for each channel. But in this case we will need to make due as the amplifier comes as stock without those adjustments. Some peeps here have been enthusiastic in the past about MODs to the Yamaha design and installing small trimming potentiometers at the amplifier PCB. I am not so keen on that because firstly I am a electronic technician and not a working designing electronic engineer and also I don't usually like adding stuff and hacking a PCB to fit extra stuff.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find these are useful to remove and replace components:

Desoldering pump:

Solder wick:
Very nice... I agree. @catch22. Also having some clippers/side cutters/flush cutters for cutting the lead legs is very valuable to have in the toolkit. They usually cost about less than $10 for decent ones like a Weller brand name version. But if you already have side cutters that are sharp and effective then use those.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
C

catch22

Forum Donor
Oh very cool. :D This is going to be a superb experience for you as things progress through the processes.
Yep ;):D
The soldering that will be done for now is the capacitor that you are going to replace. Then to check the main PCB where the amplifier circuitry is located and some hot spots develop. That area is where problematic things usually develop due to the extreme heat that some transistors and resistors create and cause thermal cracking and solder disassociation in the joints. You'll see after you replace the capacitor in the standby circuitry. Additionally a spot to keep observant about is at the RCA and speaker connectors as they are often soldered onto the PCB in a manner that is prone to cracked solder joints leading to intermittent connections at the terminals. We'll get to that later after the capacitor replacement.
II managed to find one store that has a physical collection point, and ordered collection in 2 days. For those in Ireland - RS. When I get the cap and replace, we'll see further. Thanks!
IF you can replace the tip with a tip designed for that model of iron that would be nice.
If I find, I will replace. If not, will try cleaning and tinning/wiping this one, hope will be ok for this cap.
You'll need somewhere around a 3mm or 4mm wide solder braid
Just ordered today a bit earlier 1.5mm desolder braid from the same RS shop together with the cap. Will 1.5mm work, or 3mm is way more convenient? It is just 3-4 euro for 1.6m length, so no problem to buy another one

The schematic for the amplifier indicates that 2, 5k Ohms 10 Watt resisters are used at the power supply very large sized C141 and C142 smoothing and storage capacitors. .....

A very nice feature that Yamaha includes in the build.
These mentioned resistors discharge those 2 huge caps? thats cool :) Just wondering it this the main purpose of these resistors, to help the technician? Or a helpful side effect? :)

For a better service manual go to this link, create a fee account and download the service manual to your PC(s).
Oops "Sorry, but registration is currently closed to new members." :(

OP
C

catch22

Forum Donor
But in this case we will need to make due as the amplifier comes as stock without those adjustments.
Oh good to know for the future as well! So if I ever purchase another Yamaha, it's good 1st to check whether or not the adjustment is part of the design, and if not, check the DC offset before purchasing? :)
What are the reasons of the disbalance? Some caps losing the original capacity? You will know from the schematics who are the problematic components?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered today a bit earlier 1.5mm desolder braid from the same RS shop together with the cap. Will 1.5mm work, or 3mm is way more convenient? It is just 3-4 euro for 1.6m length, so no problem to buy another one
If you have a smaller gauge solder wick that will work too. If you have lotsa solder to removed just double up on the solder wick and voila... bigger wick..LoL.
These mentioned resistors discharge those 2 huge caps? thats cool :) Just wondering it this the main purpose of these resistors, to help the technician? Or a helpful side effect? :)
They are called Bleeder Resisters and they are solely there for discharging the power supply for safety reasons so that you don't get a discharge to your body from the large caps. I was very busy one day @ work and was working on a large amplifier. I was powering ON and OFF and unplugging often and I made a error in process and I took the fully charged power supply caps across my forearm on the bottom soft skin near the elbow area. My arm muscles deflected from the electrical energy, my arm swung up so fast I never even saw it happen, smacked myself in the face very hard, broke my prescription glasses, had a red welt on my face and felt very stupid. I could have broken a bone or been seriously electrocuted. So yes, those bleeders are a good feature to have...LoL.

OP
C

catch22

Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh good to know for the future as well! So if I ever purchase another Yamaha, it's good 1st to check whether or not the adjustment is part of the design, and if not, check the DC offset before purchasing? :)
What are the reasons of the disbalance? Some caps losing the original capacity? You will know from the schematics who are the problematic components?
With the way things have been going manufacturers are skimping on stuff and not providing stuff that at one time was considered essential stuff. To check the offset before buying opens a can of worms as you might need to purchase it and then measure and return it. But if that works for you then that's OK. The reasons the offset imbalance exists is due to variations in the tolerances of resisters and transistors that are operating in the amplifier circuitry. Also I have seen bad solder as a culprit. Almost invisible cracks caused by thermal expansion and contraction repeating many times causes donut ring cracks in the round solder joint that still conduct electrons although the joint becomes very slightly resistive and that changes the circuit design operation causing offset or worse. Electronics components and circuitry is very very sensitive stuff can be incredibly accurate but with amplifier circuitry being what it is and the nature of it offset is something that cannot be eliminated without a calibration adjustment in circuit or some sort of very difficult to design auto calibration circuit if it even exists. Yamaha has chosen the fixed parameters circuitry method and it works but it's not as nice and cool as having the adjustments in the circuit to manually calibrate to ZERO the offset and also calibrate the BIAS exactly too.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this thread is becoming a tutorial for beginners :)
1. Desoldering braid - clear (if such thing exists or they are all fluxed?)
vs
2. Desoldering braid - with rosin - example 4 euro (3mm 1.6m fluxed) https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-wicks/1047690
vs
3. Desoldering pump? - example 25 euro https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-7874B-ESD-Safe-Desoldering-Aluminum/dp/B00DKYNKPK/
Not everything is rosin fluxed including solder. For differing operations sometimes one needs non-fluxed or fluxed. There are several soldering systems/methods and all require different consumables and they all have advantages specific to the differing operations. The system you use is basic solder with rosin core and thru hole PCBs stuff. The easiest stuff to work with. Purchase fluxed because for anything you do fluxed is the one to get. The desoldering pump is a nice tool for removing large quantities of liquid solder @ the PCB. It's overall less expensive to operate in comparison to solder braid because solder braid gets expensive when a technician is removing lotsa solder all day long everyday. I was buying solder braid in large spools of hundreds of meters each and that lasted me ~4 or ~5 months and then back buying another spool and it was expensive after years and years of buying it. BUT there is no getting around using solder braid. It is a consumable that is worth it's weight in gold per say when servicing PCBs. So get the braid but the manual pump solder sucker is a add-ON that comes after you have the solder wick braid. To get really technical a solder sucker if not a good one from a proper brand name has a mechanical action to the spring loaded suction assembly. The spring when moving the suction diaphragm causes a mechanical kickback that can actually damage the PCB copper trace. I used a solder sucker a lot for really big gobs of liquid solder and I owned a pretty expensive electric solder sucker that looks like a handgun and that was the preferred tool combined with solder wick.

Zapper

For reference, I am repeating here other symptoms to be cured (apart from the main issue):
I measured the DC offset: in the Right channel it is 20mv, the Left is way higher cca 80mv.

These electrolytic capacitors are suspect :
1000002976.jpg

Their purpose is to block DC. The one on the left blocks DC coming from the preamp. The one on the left blocks DC in the feedback voltage divider. This makes the amplifier gain = 1 at DC, to prevent it from amplifying any DC offset. If either of these capacitors is leaky, it will cause increased output offsets.

There are many other potential sources of DC offset, but these caps are the first suspects.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These electrolytic capacitors are suspect :
View attachment 355944
Their purpose is to block DC. The one on the left blocks DC coming from the preamp. The one on the left blocks DC in the feedback voltage divider. This makes the amplifier gain = 1 at DC, to prevent it from amplifying any DC offset. If either of these capacitors is leaky, it will cause increased output offsets.

There are many other potential sources of DC offset, but these caps are the first suspects.
Very cool. Thanks. Every bit of contributing assistance and technical know how is a major big advantage. Are you good at figuring out where and how to MOD the Yamaha amp circuitry to include a BIAS and a OFFSET calibration trim pot for each adjustment? I'm not a electronics engineer as I mentioned before in a comment and from that I decided some time ago to stay in my proper lane when it comes to MODing circuitry unless a MOD method is provided to me by a manufacturer.

Zapper

I took the fully charged power supply caps across my forearm on the bottom soft skin near the elbow area
Ooh, ooh, I have some stories! I had a electronics bench in high school, full of discarded vacuum tube equipment I fixed up. Once I discharged the full plate voltage from an old CRT oscilloscope through my pinky. A loud crack, smell of burning skin, and I jumped about a foot. I think it was about 2000V in a big metal can cap. Taught me some respect.

In high school the physics lab had a 4 foot tall Van de Graaff generator, a high voltage generator capable of generating 100's of kV. My buddy and I, unsupervised in the lab, had a great time charging up a Leyden jar (a big HV capacitor, consisting of a 5 gallon glass jar lined with aluminum inside and out) and zapping stuff. After our time was up, I said, "I'm going to discharge this jar". I touched the center conductor to ground, got a big spark. I touched the outer conductor to ground, got a smaller spark. "All done", I said, "put it back on the shelf.". My buddy wrapped his right arm around the jar, grabbed the center conductor with his left hand, and got an enormous spark right through him. Lucky it didn't stop his heart. He couldn't move his left arm for an hour. And we both learned the principle of a floating ground.

When I was a young engineer, an old tech who was a former Navy radar tech and instructor was telling me about the day he was teaching the trainees about the danger of high voltage in radar transmitters. He was pointing out the areas of high voltage, using a lead pencil as a pointer. The HV arced to the tip of the pencil, through the wood, through his body, out his bottom to the steel chair he was sitting on. He claims he had a hole in the seat of his pants. A good lesson on "do what I say, not as I do".

Zapper

Very cool. Thanks. Every bit of contributing assistance and technical know how is a major big advantage. Are you good at figuring out where and how to MOD the Yamaha amp circuitry to include a BIAS and a OFFSET calibration trim pot for each adjustment? I'm not a electronics engineer as I mentioned before in a comment and from that I decided some time ago to stay in my proper lane when it comes to MODing circuitry unless a MOD method is provided to me by a manufacturer.
Sure, send me the schematic (I sent you an IM) and I'll sketch some ideas.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh, ooh, I have some stories! I had a electronics bench in high school, full of discarded vacuum tube equipment I fixed up. Once I discharged the full plate voltage from an old CRT oscilloscope through my pinky. A loud crack, smell of burning skin, and I jumped about a foot. I think it was about 2000V in a big metal can cap. Taught me some respect.

In high school the physics lab had a 4 foot tall Van de Graaff generator, a high voltage generator capable of generating 100's of kV. My buddy and I, unsupervised in the lab, had a great time charging up a Leyden jar (a big HV capacitor, consisting of a 5 gallon glass jar lined with aluminum inside and out) and zapping stuff. After our time was up, I said, "I'm going to discharge this jar". I touched the center conductor to ground, got a big spark. I touched the outer conductor to ground, got a smaller spark. "All done", I said, "put it back on the shelf.". My buddy wrapped his right arm around the jar, grabbed the center conductor with his left hand, and got an enormous spark right through him. Lucky it didn't stop his heart. He couldn't move his left arm for an hour. And we both learned the principle of a floating ground.

When I was a young engineer, an old tech who was a former Navy radar tech and instructor was telling me about the day he was teaching the trainees about the danger of high voltage in radar transmitters. He was pointing out the areas of high voltage, using a lead pencil as a pointer. The HV arced to the tip of the pencil, through the wood, through his body, out his bottom to the steel chair he was sitting on. He claims he had a hole in the seat of his pants. A good lesson on "do what I say, not as I do".
All very WoW moments for sure. I have never ever ever everrr (LoL) serviced a microwave oven. I decided to go straight to mechatronics and avoid all that dusty yucky TV and microwave oven stuff in consumer/domestic electronics repair and so that's what I did. Anyway my workmate was working on a big size powerful model of Panasonic microwave oven and he took the powered ON magnetron on his body somewhere. He yelped pretty much exactly like a dog does when in fear and major pain. After his eyeballs where huge and he was a mental mess. Could not talk properly and was muddling his words and was generally amazed that it happened and took the remainder of the day off work because he was not fit to be at the shop. We where very concerned at the time because that was a near death experience. Another account was my father a industrial firefighter paramedic in a fully equipped fire department overseeing the safety and security of about 7500 workers at that location. He and the crew attended a call and they found a male electrocution victim crispy all over and alive. He was administering mouth to mouth because that was still the method at that time and the victim convulsed and ejected the contents of his stomach out the mouth into my fathers mouth. It took days before he could look at food and eat it. He was a mess for weeks and really was having a difficult time of life. The electrocution victim lived for awhile as they manually kept his heart and lungs operating but he died at the location of the electrocution. I really respect my father for that. It made him seem like can-do type of person that didn't give up no matter the circumstances. :D

OP
C

catch22

Forum Donor
If you have a smaller gauge solder wick that will work too. If you have lotsa solder to removed just double up on the solder wick and voila... bigger wick..LoL.

They are called Bleeder Resisters and they are solely there for discharging the power supply for safety reasons so that you don't get a discharge to your body from the large caps. I was very busy one day @ work and was working on a large amplifier. I was powering ON and OFF and unplugging often and I made a error in process and I took the fully charged power supply caps across my forearm on the bottom soft skin near the elbow area. My arm muscles deflected from the electrical energy, my arm swung up so fast I never even saw it happen, smacked myself in the face very hard, broke my prescription glasses, had a red welt on my face and felt very stupid. I could have broken a bone or been seriously electrocuted. So yes, those bleeders are a good feature to have...LoL.
Oh man! I read some anecdotes online that large capacitors can hit more painful than the grid... I myself was hit by 230V a couple of times, nothing pleasant either... :) Must be a bit milder in North America? :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh man! I read some anecdotes online that large capacitors can hit more painful than the grid... I myself was hit by 230V a couple of times, nothing pleasant either... :) Must be a bit milder in North America? :)
Yes, in North America/Canada we mostly have 120VAC for the residential mains although for clothes dryers they use 240VAC. I have sustained hundreds of 120VAC shocks and it's not a big thing for me now but 240VAC is not pleasant and I avoid that like the plague. 240VAC is danger zone de jour to me.

Top Bottom