• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 28.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 139 54.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 26 10.3%

• Total voters

Ajax

Forum Donor
@amirm

Many thanks for the review, after reviewing some ordinary gear it's nice to see you back in "recommending" mode.

As we normally listen to speakers in pairs, can I request that in future you please stipulate whether the price is for one only or a pair.

Thanks in advance.

ocinn

A much less extreme measure you can try is plugg the existing port, as long as it can be restored to its original state.:)
Port plugging is one of my favorite “mods” to do on cheap speakers. If you have a subwoofer(s), 99% if the time (in my experience), it improves things

It’s the perfect intermediate between doing nothing (in which case you probably shouldn’t be in this hobby), and actually re-fabricating parts of the speaker (where once you factor in labor and materials, you might as well just get better speakers to start with).

beagleman

Major Contributor

Mikig

Metterò il Polk ES60 nella mia lista consigliata se riesci a domare la sua luminosità con un po' di filtraggio. Personalmente, mi piace più di quanto dovrei!:)
Hi Amirm thanks for the content.

Do you think that this speaker, as well as others reviewed, can begin to compete, in terms of sound quality and performance, with higher-end speakers?
or rather, are you starting to see the Topping effect in the loudspeaker category too?
Or are we still far from seeing speakers at a human price, with absolute record-breaking performance?? Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi Amirm thanks for the content.

Do you think that this speaker, as well as others reviewed, can begin to compete, in terms of sound quality and performance, with higher-end speakers?
or rather, are you starting to see the Topping effect in the loudspeaker category too?
Or are we still far from seeing speakers at a human price, with absolute record-breaking performance?? Thank you
Perfect example of the Topping effect IMO:

The A306 is smaller, a fraction of the cost, but as or more performant than the Linton is all aspects.

Ismapics

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 12.58.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 12.58.42 PM.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

Thanks for the review!
Compared to a very good bookshelf speaker, let's say a Neumann KH 150 - would you rather have the Polk?
For far field listening I would pick Polk personally if one has ability to EQ it.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
It's great to see that Polk is able to crank out reasonable floorstanders for a reasonable price. I bought the T50 after @amirm 's encouraging review as cheap and cheerful floorstanders for my 5.1 TV/music setup and was pleasantly surprised at the cost/performance ratio. The ES60 look to be in the same category.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For far field listening I would pick Polk personally if one has ability to EQ it.
Out of curiosity, based upon bang-for-the-buck or is there something about nearfield monitors that are weaker when doing far field listening?

Just thinking about subwoofers. The “chest slam” effect seems to be stronger with big woofers even if multiple small woofers generate the same SPLs in REW subjectively.

Hart

I think the Polk line was asleep for a long time, however these latest offerings are impressive for the price.

jbattman1016

Would be nice to see the Encore T6 against this Polk. I suspect the main differences will be related to the difference in the port design. Too bad monoprice can't keep anything in stock.

Top Bottom