• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut or Polk Signature? and which size?

wwenze

Major Contributor
1706964359308.png

My local shop is having a sale with coupons so these are what's available

I was considering Elac Debut until I saw Polk Signature series at similar price point. I think favorably of Debut but the Panther rating is only a *shrug*, while Polks get a good Panther rating. Which is really weird considering the measurements and preference score.

Then there's also the issue of size, Polk S20 is 35cm deep which is deeper than what my table would like. I like bass but I also like small speakers, Elac B5.2 seems to have the same amount of bass extension as B6.2 but overall more distortion, how much does distortion matter? (There's also the issue of B5.2's shelf treble response)

I think I should probably be going for Elac B6.2 but I'd like to hear some $0.02

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
View attachment 347016

My local shop is having a sale with coupons so these are what's available

I was considering Elac Debut until I saw Polk Signature series at similar price point. I think favorably of Debut but the Panther rating is only a *shrug*, while Polks get a good Panther rating. Which is really weird considering the measurements and preference score.

Then there's also the issue of size, Polk S20 is 35cm deep which is deeper than what my table would like. I like bass but I also like small speakers, Elac B5.2 seems to have the same amount of bass extension as B6.2 but overall more distortion, how much does distortion matter? (There's also the issue of B5.2's shelf treble response)

I think I should probably be going for Elac B6.2 but I'd like to hear some $0.02
Given your constraint in 'placement', substituting the ELAC B6.2 for a Polk S20, seems like a reasonable 'tradeoff'

Doenerkunde

View attachment 347016
Then there's also the issue of size, I like bass but I also like small speakers, Elac B5.2 seems to have the same amount of bass extension as B6.2 but overall more distortion, how much does distortion matter? (There's also the issue of B5.2's shelf treble response)

Compression tests (as performed by ErinsAudioCorner) also indicate differences in linearity with rising volume between the 5.2 and 6.2:
ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2_Compression.png
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2_Compression.png

The exchange rate lets me assume you are canadian? Always good to mention, since other users might chime in with some good local deals that you are not yet aware of.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's difficult to integrate speakers with lots of bass on a desk.

Top Bottom