• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Prestige 15B Review (bookshelf speaker)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurements agree with Soundstage/NRC save for the bass. Any idea what's going on ~100 Hz?
Yes, it is room mode in NRC's anechoic chamber. It has poor absorption when it comes to lower frequencies. My measurements are correct. :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Energy is still producing speakers. I have not heard the latest line-up but I'm very familiar with the previous product and they where not bright sounding. Would be nice to see a Energy model tested here. :D
I think that Energy (and their related brands Mirage and Athena) were purchased by Klipsch. And if Klipsch did to them what they did to Jamo, know that all engineering is carried out by Klipsch in Indiana, the production is done in China, and although Klipsch has kept the brand name alive, that’s where the similarities between their older speakers and new ones end.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I found that the Paradigm Persona's that I listened to were really clear too -- that was my primary thought when I heard them (for about 2-3 songs). And I think if you listen 15 degrees off axis, which is not unusual if you face them straight instead of toeing them in, they are not as bright. Though I didn't look at the 15 degree measurements to check that.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I found that the Paradigm Persona's that I listened to were really clear too -- that was my primary thought when I heard them (for about 2-3 songs). And I think if you listen 15 degrees off axis, which is not unusual if you face them straight instead of toeing them in, they are not as bright. Though I didn't look at the 15 degree measurements to check that.
Yup. Just need to adjust the toe in accordingly, based on distance and the room. I have found that my headphones can be much brighter than my Persona....

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF’s tangerine waveguide thing also is stated to increase SPL by blocking part of the tweeter; still kinda confuses me.
A waveguide can increase the total SPL by improving the impedance matching to the surround air (some call that horn) but also can increase it for some angles while decreasing it for others thus increasing directivity which is rather the case when you block parts of it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree that these would definitely be an off-axis speaker. Point them straight ahead and sit in the middle of the triangle. At that point I'm sure they would be ok. Still, there are better buys in that price range and speaker size from Buchardt, Revel, and KEF, and I bet even the ELAC DBR's would put up a good fight at 1/3 the price.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A waveguide can increase the total SPL by improving the impedance matching to the surround air (some call that horn) but also can increase it for some angles while decreasing it for others thus increasing directivity which is rather the case when you block parts of it.
Right. I think the reference was to eliminating phase cancellations like a phase plug. I've never thought of that as improving SPL but merely the frequency response, but I suppose it could.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is room mode in NRC's anechoic chamber. It has poor absorption when it comes to lower frequencies. My measurements are correct. :)
Hmm, one would think their software could "see" that (or at least infer it from room dimensions) and calibrate it out.

Maiky76

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ...

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:
Score no EQ: 4.48
With Sub: 6.73
Spinorama with no EQ:
  • HF too hot
  • some peaks in the 700 - 2000Hz range
Paradigm 15B No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:
Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/15deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
The response will be much closer to the LW that is deigned for "flattish" in particular above 4000Hz.
Paradigm 15B LW Better data.png

Paradigm 15B 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
  • LW/Score pretty close so the decent directivity helps
  • HighPass filter added to help below 50Hz and maximize the performance within the bandwidth

Score EQ LW: 6.2
with sub: 8.4

Score EQ Score: 6.53
with sub: 8.73

Code:
Paradigm 15B APO EQ LW 96000Hz
January182021-143403

Preamp: -2 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 49 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 177 Hz Gain -1.95 dB Q 1.43
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 865 Hz Gain -2.57 dB Q 3
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1331 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 7.7
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1873 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6530 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.5
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 10657 Hz Gain -3.78 dB Q 1.4

Paradigm 15B APO EQ Score 96000Hz
January182021-142658

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 48.5 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 174.5 Hz Gain -1.95 dB Q 1.33
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 857 Hz Gain -2.46 dB Q 2.55
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1334 Hz Gain -2.18 dB Q 4.62
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1710 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.21
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5510 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 4.75
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7436 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.72
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 11047 Hz Gain -4.12 dB Q 1.26
Paradigm 15B EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
Paradigm 15B LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
Paradigm 15B Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Paradigm 15B Zoom PIR-LW-ON.png

Regression - Tonal
close to flat regression ON when EQ score is use
Paradigm 15B Regression - Tonal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Large improvements
Paradigm 15B Radar.png

Bonus:
@amirm EQ
Score EQ LW: 5.57
with sub: 7.76

Paradigm 15B EQ design Amirm.png

Paradigm 15B EQ Amirm Spinorama.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• Paradigm 15B APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    381 bytes · Views: 119
  • Paradigm 15B APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    445 bytes · Views: 77
  • Paradigm 15B 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Paradigm 15B 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Paradigm 15B 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Paradigm 15B 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    476.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Paradigm 15B 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Paradigm 15B 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    477 KB · Views: 84
  • Paradigm 15B Normalized Directivity data.png
    Paradigm 15B Normalized Directivity data.png
    481 KB · Views: 78
  • Paradigm 15B Raw Directivity data.png
    Paradigm 15B Raw Directivity data.png
    834.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Paradigm 15B Reflexion data.png
    Paradigm 15B Reflexion data.png
    235 KB · Views: 86
  • Paradigm 15B LW data.png
    Paradigm 15B LW data.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 87

DuncanTodd

They certainly are good looking. I hope the review here from @amirm wakes them up and they stop making them so bright out of the box.
And yet people still buy Paradigm and Klipsch. Maybe not everyone likes flat response? It may be wrong according to studies, but the fact they sell well proves something. Of course you can argue people are ignorant or dazzled by showroom tricks, dealer discounts or general sheeping.

al2002

Forum Donor
PSB? Stereophile and Soundstage measurements look respectable.

My analysis shows that the #1 speaker brand sold in all Canadian dealers/resellers is...Paradigm!
They are sold at 35% of all known resellers/dealers.

This is what we have to put up with?
I'm still waiting for at least one speaker from a Canadian company that's acceptable.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet people still buy Paradigm and Klipsch. Maybe not everyone likes flat response? It may be wrong according to studies, but the fact they sell well proves something. Of course you can argue people are ignorant or dazzled by showroom tricks, dealer discounts or general sheeping.

I think the shoowroom and the fact that most people including myself that tries to actually find accurate speakers to audition rarely succeeds .
I'm not sure I'm yet heard an god accurate speaker to this day after 30 years as an audiophile , been in the usual audiophile stores and heard what they presented to me as good speakers .

And you brain adjust (burn in anyone ;)) to the speaker and most people have only one set of good (or bad) speakers at the time and can do no side by comparison blind or sighted . you have your main set of speakers and adjust to them . But after a while you get an itch to upgrade and have a hard time to understand why. And go back to the hifi store where you audition more flawed speakers under flawed conditions :facepalm:

Vytauts

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ...

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:
Score no EQ: 4.48
With Sub: 6.73
Spinorama with no EQ:
  • HF too hot
  • some peaks in the 700 - 2000Hz range
View attachment 106809
Directivity:
Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/15deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
The response will be much closer to the LW that is deigned for "flattish" in particular above 4000Hz.
View attachment 106815
View attachment 106811
EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
  • LW/Score pretty close so the decent directivity helps
  • HighPass filter added to help below 50Hz and maximize the performance within the bandwidth

Score EQ LW: 6.2
with sub: 8.4

Score EQ Score: 6.53
with sub: 8.73

Code:
Paradigm 15B APO EQ LW 96000Hz
January182021-143403

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 49 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 177 Hz Gain -1.95 dB Q 1.43
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 865 Hz Gain -2.57 dB Q 3
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1331 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 7.7
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1873 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6530 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.5
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 10657 Hz Gain -3.78 dB Q 1.4

Paradigm 15B APO EQ Score 96000Hz
January182021-142658

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 48.5 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 174.5 Hz Gain -1.95 dB Q 1.33
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 857 Hz Gain -2.46 dB Q 2.55
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1334 Hz Gain -2.18 dB Q 4.62
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1710 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.21
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5510 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 4.75
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7436 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.72
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 11047 Hz Gain -4.12 dB Q 1.26
View attachment 106821
Spinorama EQ LW
View attachment 106807

Spinorama EQ Score
View attachment 106808

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
View attachment 106805

Regression - Tonal
close to flat regression ON when EQ score is use
View attachment 106806

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Large improvements
View attachment 106804

Bonus:
@amirm EQ
Score EQ LW: 5.57
with sub: 7.76

View attachment 106823
View attachment 106822

The rest of the plots is attached.

Always pleasure to see your algo outputs. Thanks.
Was any speaker >7.0 EQ score?

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

I think the shoowroom and the fact that most people including myself that tries to actually find accurate speakers to audition rarely succeeds .
I'm not sure I'm yet heard an god accurate speaker to this day after 30 years as an audiophile , been in the usual audiophile stores and heard what they presented to me as good speakers .

And you brain adjust (burn in anyone ;)) to the speaker and most people have only one set of good (or bad) speakers at the time and can do no side by comparison blind or sighted . you have your main set of speakers and adjust to them . But after a while you get an itch to upgrade and have a hard time to understand why. And go back to the hifi store where you audition more flawed speakers under flawed conditions :facepalm:
Yeah, I agree with what you said.
Most of the people who still buy speakers (and not soundbars), would go by recognized brand name, friend recommendation, WAF, pushy dealers, showroom effect, price, sales etc. Most would be happy with them too cause as you said you get used to the sound. At the end most speaker companies want to sell as much as possible, and most folks don't care too much about how well the speakers conform to certain accepted scientific findings. "Correct" speakers would likely sound boring to them.

Dzhaughn

According to Paradigm, it is "Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA™) Tweeter Lens that protects the delicate tweeter dome and acts as the Phase Plug, blocking out-of-phase frequencies for smoother, extended high frequencies with incredible detail and higher output. "

It would make a better shower head than the tweeter dome of any speaker reviewed thus far. Miles ahead in that respect. And $1500 does both bathrooms.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Paradigms I've heard (reference signature?) with whiteish aluminum cones and aluminum waveguides sounded similar. The quality of the drivers they manufacture is absolutely first rate. The tweeter assembly is quite beautiful and the woofers with the phase plugs look nicer than anything from SEAS. It's a shame they don't make neutral speakers.

samwell7

Perforated tweeter covers are in style.

Bowers & Wilkins for BMW and Volvo:
257918_01_bw1.jpg

Burmester for Mercedes-Benz and Porsche:
Burmester-design-3D-rotating-tweeters-for-Mercedes-benz-C-Class-W205-GLC-X253-E-Class-W213-S-Class-W222-4-700x350.jpg

Lexicon for Genesis:
genesis-g80-features-innovation-lexicon-premium-sound-system-v02.jpg
Those pictures remind me of some speakers I'd see in one of those party taxis somewhere in Thailand (only difference is the ones in the party bus would have LEDs behind them) no idea how that's supposed to be classy

Top Bottom