• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Prestige 15B Review (bookshelf speaker)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So folks know what we are talking about:

PastedGraphic-41.png

Haint

All the engineering resources and management expertise to produce speakers for as long as Paradigm has and yes we get high frequency boosted/EQ'd speakers with a snazzy screen over the tweeter.

I would guess it's a combination of wanting to differentiate themselves, and the realization that boutique/dealer buyers trend older (and the more expensive product lines, older still) so a high frequency lift made logical sense. I would also guess most people buying $3200 Towers and $1600 Centers are probably putting them in rather large rooms where they're banking on above average distance attenuating it somewhat.

bogart

Forum Donor
I have to say that despite having never actually seen measurements of them, I've have a soft spot for Totem Acoustic. Their simpler two-way designs have always pleased my untrained ears.
As a former owner, my advice is to look away from the measurements and enjoy them. If you see the measurements, you can’t un-hear the curves.

Pleasantly surprised at how Paradigm’s underlying engineering effort pays off so nicely. If someone gets more into the science after making their big speaker purchase, it’s nice seeing that they’re redeemable.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My analysis shows that the #1 speaker brand sold in all Canadian dealers/resellers is...Paradigm!
They are sold at 35% of all known resellers/dealers.

This is what we have to put up with?
I'm still waiting for at least one speaker from a Canadian company that's acceptable.
Psb T3 is a fantastic speaker when i listened to it. Measures fairly well also i think

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I still have faith in the higher-tier PSB speakers... excluding the budget-driven PSB Alpha P5, of course.

Another Canadian speaker Amir is on the verge of measuring would be the Kanto's...looking forward to that as well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmzzz... Paradigm is using the perforated phase screen on the mid/woof and midranges of the high end series too.
paradigm.png

paradigm 2.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these have been measured by soundstage and also found to have excess treble - on purpose I guess to give “air”
It would seem Paradigm is creating a house sound rather than tuning each speaker to be the best it can be on it's own merits.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I've have a soft spot for Totem Acoustic
Would like to see measured as well.

Although I don't have high hopes...
Their latest designed speaker, called Signature One, got released in 2017, and retails for CDN$3,450/pair.
It was measured by soundstage and stereophile.
I mean, who's paying this much for a speaker with this level of performance? Well, maybe for Paradigm, because of the "reputation" sales pitch, but Totem?
1610941708787.png

Look at red curve only.
1610941747957.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something about the sound of Totem speakers is attractive to attractive women.

Hold on while I go buy another pair....

totem-kin-play-1200x720.jpg

Any Totem owners out there? Would love to see one measured. I might even chip in for shipping if that's a concern :). Always loved the aesthetics of their speakers for some reason.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Canada supported the science with tax dollars. Revel and sister brands adopt and apply Canadian research through Toole. Canadian companies intentionally deviate for showroom effect. Reminds me of plasma vs lcd. Plasma appeared dim next to LCD torches. I purchased Samsung flagship plasma off showroom floor for half off. I don't watch movies out on the front lawn at high noon.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My analysis shows that the #1 speaker brand sold in all Canadian dealers/resellers is...Paradigm!
They are sold at 35% of all known resellers/dealers.

This is what we have to put up with?
I'm still waiting for at least one speaker from a Canadian company that's acceptable.
My first good speakers were Energy C-6 and C-2 speakers. I would be curious how they measured, but I would guess pretty well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My first good speakers were Energy C-6 and C-2 speakers. I would be curious how they measured, but I would guess pretty well.
I would be reallly curious how a Energy Pro 22 or a Ref 22 Connoisseur would do even at it's age if the ferrofluid has not leaked out or dried up.
Energy_Pro_22_Ref_Conns_front_wo_grill.jpg

Top Bottom