• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

iraweiss

I got the total watts used measurement from the display at the front of the CyberPower UPS everything is plugged into. That being the case, it would also show idle power of the TV, subwoofers, VCR, CD-Recorder that has a clock and Yamaha receiver. However, I also have a Kill-A-Watt electricity monitor and tomorrow I will insert it between one of the amps and UPS so I can get a reading and post the results. I will also get a standby reading everything to show how much vampire electricity I am burning with the entire system in idle state.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everything is set up and works great.
Glad to hear the amps arrived unmolested.
Thanks for the pictures, I love when members share their systems with us.
Cool collection of classic gear, RTR, cassette, etc.
He who dies with the most toys wins.
Enjoy,
Sal

iraweiss

I got the total watts used measurement from the display at the front of the CyberPower UPS everything is plugged into. That being the case, it would also show idle power of the TV, subwoofers, VCR, CD-Recorder that has a clock and Yamaha receiver. However, I also have a Kill-A-Watt electricity monitor and tomorrow I will insert it between one of the amps and UPS so I can get a reading and post the results. I will also get a standby reading everything to show how much vampire electricity I am burning with the entire system in idle state.
OK, as promised I did power usage measurements this morning:

Whole system with everything turned off consumes 108 watts of vampire electricity. This includes whatever power is used by the three Outlaw amps, Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver, Sony XBR-65X930E TV, JVC VCR and JVC CD recorder as both have clocks, cable box/DVR, Definitive Technology BP-2004TL front speakers with built-in subs, and Definitive Technology ProSub 80 subwoofer. Also running are the D-Link gigabit switch and Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI 1x4 Splitter/Extender.

The system with the three amps and receiver turned on bumps up the usage from 108 watts to 198 watts.

The standby power of one of the amps is 12 watts. Amps are turned on by trigger. Was Roy Rogers also turned on by Trigger?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The standby power of one of the amps is 12 watts.
Thanks. I assume you mean idle power? This more or less agrees with what I see with the M2200 (11 Watts). I get about 5 watts each in standby, which doesn't seem so good. So I have mine on external switches so I can easily turn them completely off. I would have liked have a switch on the front, but that's a minor complaint and I really like them otherwise.

iraweiss

Thanks. I assume you mean idle power? This more or less agrees with what I see with the M2200 (11 Watts). I get about 5 watts each in standby, which doesn't seem so good. So I have mine on external switches so I can easily turn them completely off. I would have liked have a switch on the front, but that's a minor complaint and I really like them otherwise.
Better description: Amp power switch is set to ON. Trigger mode switch is set to 12V. Receiver connected to the amp by the trigger cable is off. Power LED glows dimly indicating the amp is in standby mode. Amp consumers 12 watts of electricity in this state.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Gad, I can't imagine if I had a rack like that in my living room. FAIL WAF.
I think I remember those two Dolby processors. Advent?
Here is all I have to disrupt my room.

Attachments

• 20220116_151257.jpg
    20220116_151257.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 106

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Better description: Amp power switch is set to ON. Trigger mode switch is set to 12V. Receiver connected to the amp by the trigger cable is off. Power LED glows dimly indicating the amp is in standby mode. Amp consumers 12 watts of electricity in this state.
I have everything on a Pyle sequencer. About 1W for everything.

iraweiss

I have been collecting everything you see in those pictures since 1974. The oldest item in the picture is the Pioneer RT-1020L tape deck (10" reels). I started getting equipment in 1965 but a lot of the earlier stuff is long gone. The Advent Dolby processors along with the Yamaha KX-1200 cassette deck came from eBay. I bought the Pioneer RT-707 open reel tape deck (7" reels) from my neighbor across the street after her husband passed away. I gave her $100 for it. Better than her tossing it. At about 44 pounds it was a real bear to carry across the street! But at least it is a little lighter than the RT-1020L.

I get away with this with the explanation that it is better to spend money on this than cars. Also, both my wife and I are musically trained so we appreciate good sound and have had it since we got married. Finally, I have gone to every effort to make things work in all our systems (family room pictured, master bedroom and exercise room) with the least amount of button pressing.

One great rack story. Many years ago before I bought the Salamander Archetype racks I had another rack. I had a bunch of people over to the house from out of town for a business meeting. At least one person had a few too many. He was in a rocking chair and every time he rocked backward he would hit the rack and the record on the turntable would skip. He kept asking "What's wrong with your stereo?" I would needle him forever about that one.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't imagine if I had a rack like that in my living room. FAIL WAF.
Then I guess it's actually HER living room.
You use binoculars to view that screen? LOL

He was in a rocking chair and every time he rocked backward he would hit the rack and the record on the turntable would skip. He kept asking "What's wrong with your stereo?"
You didn't knock him out of that chair? :mad:

I get away with this with the explanation that it is better to spend money on this than cars.
A better one yet is "better to spend money on this than at the BARS". LOL

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I was looking at the M2220 manual and dim light does indicate standby. I would expect lower power than 12W in standby but I can't find a spec on it. As I already said, I measure 5 watts in standby (spec is 3W), and 11 watts idle for the M2200.

iraweiss

Everything is set up and works great. I would advise Outlaw to make one addition to their installation instructions: "If you are using banana plugs remove the red and black plug inserts from the speaker outputs." I pried them out and put them in the bag with the manual.

I also included pictures. What is amazing is that with everything you see turned only 288 watts is being used. I was expecting closer to 1.21 gigawatts.

View attachment 179178View attachment 179179View attachment 179180
BTW, after taking these pictures I adjusted the shelves to increase ventilation above the two amps. It's a good thing Salamander provides a wrench and spirit level with their racks.

Even so, adjusting the height of six shelves and getting everything level was not a lot of fun.

iraweiss

There are limits. Notice that the Atmos speakers are mounted on the wall near the ceiling in the front (and also the back). I would not dare to cut holes in the ceiling for the Atmos speakers. Also, having speakers playing directly into the master bedroom floor is not a great idea.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
After the argument, she'd come home one day to fine her bags packed, sitting on the front lawn. :oops:

John Galt

Forum Donor
Handed off an Outlaw Audio 2220, successor to the 2200, to Amir yesterday for testing. Curious to see how it compares.
This may end up being the very first review of the 2220. Thanks for sending it in.

fmzip

Looking forward to seeing the test results of the 2220......

How long does it typically take for a review...Really need a center channel amp

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to seeing the test results of the 2220......

How long does it typically take for a review...Really need a center channel amp

He posted the output test results already a few days ago.

Forgot to include the link:

Note that the numbers are about the same as the 2200, except the CEA2006/490A's 20ms/480 ms short burst output is about 10% higher for some reasons, nothing remarkable though.

Last edited:

fmzip

He posted the output test results already a few days ago.

Forgot to include the link:

Note that the numbers are about the same as the 2200, except the CEA2006/490A's 20ms/480 ms short burst output is about 10% higher for some reasons, nothing remarkable though.
This link is for a PS Audio piece…..

Top Bottom