• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amper42,
1) I wouldn't consider the Parasound JC2 BP an AVR just because it has a bypass would you? I will only be using this for 2 channel for my turntable and CD transport and my 2 Paradigm 75f's.
2) I was more concerned if my 92db sensitive speakers will pick up the hiss or not.. but I'm not sure how the S/N ratio is represented from different speaker to speaker, and if the db sensitivity is the issue.. I'm definitely appreciating some learning in this!

I have not tested the JC 2 BP. If you already own it, try it with your existing setup and see. The spec says S/N is 104dB unweighted. It's probably fine. If you don't own it but want to try it then buy it from a reseller with a great return policy.

You should understand a tiny bit of hiss is usually not a deal breaker for most people. If you have to get close to the speaker to hear it - does it really exist? The features of the amp or AVR will probably be more important than a small amount of hiss. However, when you pay over $4000 for a piece of gear you may be pickier than someone with a $1500 AVR.

tdubz510

I have not tested the JC 2 BP. If you already own it, try it with your existing setup and see. The spec says S/N is 104dB unweighted. It's probably fine. If you don't own it but want to try it then buy it from a reseller with a great return policy.

You should understand a tiny bit of hiss is usually not a deal breaker for most people. If you have to get close to the speaker to hear it - does it really exist? The features of the amp or AVR will probably be more important than a small amount of hiss. However, when you pay over $4000 for a piece of gear you may be pickier than someone with a $1500 AVR.

And what about the JC 2 BP specs pairing with the Outlaw M2220 monos? Good?
Where does the S/N number become "next level good"? Above or below 104db?
I really am in an early learning phase, please bear with me.
Thanks

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my first attempt at separates and also with bi-amping a system. I just acquired a Parasound JP2 Halo PreAmp to start.
I have Paradigm 75F floor standers with 92db sensitivity/89 anechoic, 15-220w, and wondering if I will hear that hiss you speak of with the M2220 Outlaws? Other recommendations for a pair of amps up to $3000 are welcome, too. Thanks!
I'm guessing you will be able to hear hiss a foot or two away in a quiet room. In that case it wouldn't bother me.

Don't know how much this helps, but when I measure the noise voltage at the speakers with a multimeter I get about 0.1mV (not a good absolute measurement but I hope good enough for a comparison). I hear hiss only if I put my ear close to the tweeter (86.5dB speakers). Then if I play noise and I turn up the volume to get 1mV, I hear it to about 1.5ft away on the same speaker.

iraweiss

My current Outlaws:

8 x 2200 Monoblocks (15 years old)
2 x 2200 Monoblocks (2 days old)
1 x 5000 (1 week old)
2 x 650w 12" subs (10 years old forgot model name)

(Head is a Marantz 8802a)

I Ran a 7.1 setup with the 2200 for 15 years. Tens of thousands of HARD hours mostly to my older large Polk RTI series speakers (Fronts the big RTI12).

In recent years, a Polk LSI center, 4 x Paradigm ADP-590 v5 surrounds.

Now I purchased 2 new 2220's to replace the 2200's for the Paradigm F95's I have coming in a few day.

The old 2200's will go out in my shop in my workout area to power keep powering the Polk rti12's.

One is technically a spare.

The 5000x runs my 4 Paradigm atmos speakers (CI-Elite E-80R).

The point being, I have never had a single issue with the 2200 running them HARD for 15 years, tens of thousands of hours (5 projector bulbs worth of movie time alone without counting music time)

I couldn't be any happier with their products.
Does the 2220 include a transformer power supply like the 2200?

iraweiss

TY

Have any of you had a hum issue with these amps connecting to an AVR either with a balanced or unbalanced connection?

Is so, how did you solve the hum problem?

aslag

I purchased a pair of model 2220's for an office 2-channel system running Polk r200 speakers, each fed by balanced outputs from an RME ADI-2. The units I received were made in China. They have blue LEDs and the build quality looks good.

The devices sound really good and are neutral in character compared to warm-ish integrated amplifiers I've used before (a Yamaha A-S301and Audiolab 6000a) and I prefer this sound. They sounded the same right off the truck as they do now, a few weeks after running during week days.

Each device uses about 20 W when in use at reasonable volume and about 5 W when in standby. Standby mode can be controlled by a 12v trigger (in which case the device will turn off shortly after no signal is present and will stay on continually while the signal is present), or by a detected signal from the input; the standby mode can also be disabled. I use the input signal detection mode and it works well. Power on from standby takes a few seconds.

iraweiss

Glad you're enjoying your 2220's. I ordered three on December 31st. They were shipped from Portland, OR on January 3rd and they are currently in Cicero, IL on the way to the Columbus, OH area where I live. Looking forward to receiving them and will let you know how I like them when they arrive.

John Galt

Forum Donor
I purchased a pair of model 2220's for an office 2-channel system running Polk r200 speakers, each fed by balanced outputs from an RME ADI-2. The units I received were made in China. They have blue LEDs and the build quality looks good.

The devices sound really good and are neutral in character compared to warm-ish integrated amplifiers I've used before (a Yamaha A-S301and Audiolab 6000a) and I prefer this sound. They sounded the same right off the truck as they do now, a few weeks after running during week days.

Each device uses about 20 W when in use at reasonable volume and about 5 W when in standby. Standby mode can be controlled by a 12v trigger (in which case the device will turn off shortly after no signal is present and will stay on continually while the signal is present), or by a detected signal from the input; the standby mode can also be disabled. I use the input signal detection mode and it works well. Power on from standby takes a few seconds.

A lot of people would love to see pictures of the inside.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
they are currently in Cicero, IL
Oh boy, Cicero IL.
One of my favorite ole hoods (along with Al Capone) for hangin at the local bars
and earnin street creds. Oh the memories. LOL

iraweiss

Oh boy, Cicero IL.
One of my favorite ole hoods (along with Al Capone) for hangin at the local bars
and earnin street creds. Oh the memories. LOL
I'm originally from Lincolnwood and Cicero Ave runs right through it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

iraweiss

Ah, one of those rich northsiders ;)
I wish. BTW as the amps are still in Cicero I called FedEx and they are investigating and will get back to me. Time for the booze and antacids as I wonder if they are lost and how Outlaw will handle this.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wish. BTW as the amps are still in Cicero I called FedEx and they are investigating and will get back to me. Time for the booze and antacids as I wonder if they are lost and how Outlaw will handle this.
Oh my, they fell off the back of the truck, that's been known to happen a lot in the Cicero shipping yards. LOL
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure Outlaw had them insured for full value. Just might take a little time to get the details all shaken out.
Keep us updated on the progress, Best of luck.
Sal

iraweiss

Oh my, they fell off the back of the truck, that's been known to happen a lot in the Cicero shipping yards. LOL
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure Outlaw had them insured for full value. Just might take a little time to get the details all shaken out.
Keep us updated on the progress, Best of luck.
Sal
The missing amps will power the alleged SOTA speakers the recipient purchased from a white van.

Three days in Cicero is not a good sign. I will wait until Monday to contact Outlaw to see if I receive a response from FedEx or the product moves again. Unfortunately, I've had all too many issues with FedEx shipments.

Last edited:

iraweiss

The missing amps will power the alleged SOTA speakers the recipient purchased from a white van.

Three days in Cicero is not a good sign. I will wait until Monday to contact Outlaw to see if I receive a response from FedEx or the product moves again. Unfortunately, I've had all too many issues with FedEx shipments.
On vehicle for delivery today. I'll let you know if I get three amps or boxes of bricks. It's amazing what a phone call will do.

iraweiss

Everything is set up and works great. I would advise Outlaw to make one addition to their installation instructions: "If you are using banana plugs remove the red and black plug inserts from the speaker outputs." I pried them out and put them in the bag with the manual.

I also included pictures. What is amazing is that with everything you see turned only 288 watts is being used. I was expecting closer to 1.21 gigawatts.

20220114_113624 compressed.jpg
20220114_113518 compressed.jpg
20220114_113450 compressed.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything is set up and works great. I would advise Outlaw to make one addition to their installation instructions: "If you are using banana plugs remove the red and black plug inserts from the speaker outputs." I pried them out and put them in the bag with the manual.

I also included pictures. What is amazing is that with everything you see turned only 288 watts is being used. I was expecting closer to 1.21 gigawatts.

View attachment 179178View attachment 179179View attachment 179180
Nice! I'm curious, since you have a watt meter... Is standby power better than the M2200? Mine are 5W each in standby, so don't even meet the 3W spec. Idle power of my M2200 are about 11W each. Don't know if my cheap meter is accurate.

Top Bottom