• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Yamaha HL-L7A looks awesome!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Don't know about you guys, but this looks absolutely fabulous. Just dropped in my inbox today from Yamaha Australia.

Not cheap. Not even reasonable. But I want one, just the same.

1695874443039.png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look extremely classy, really nice to see Yamaha showing the rest of the world what product engineerung really looks like. Nearly 5 grand in the U.K though, ouch.

Music1969

Major Contributor
They look extremely classy, really nice to see Yamaha showing the rest of the world what product engineerung really looks like. Nearly 5 grand in the U.K though, ouch.

In terms of engineerung, their flagship headphones (that probably goes with this amp?) is average at best.
The headphones look amazing though.

Maybe the amp measures average too?

12002235.png

Yamaha-Yh5000SE-Review.jpg

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to disagree with you sir. The headphones look great, but that amp is just... weird. I actually saw and tried these both two weeks ago in the Helsinki Hifi Expo. It was a very noisy area so impossible to say a lot about the sound, but oh boy those headphones were light and comfortable!

delta76

Major Contributor
Guess I'm lucky, the design is not appealing to me, no craving to have one ...

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some non stylized shots
1695881734009.jpeg

1695881775880.jpeg

1695881906690.jpeg

I don’t think the transformers can be separated from the user interface box. Maybe there’s some sort of headphone stand that fits in the gap. It looks odd to me too, and I generally consider myself a fan of Yamaha looks/design.

I like the idea of sound fields for headphones. With a Yamaha AVR/AVP, their “CinemaDSP HD3” had virtual surround with headphones which worked well with the MCH content.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks strange to me as well... I don't understand these kind of flat knobs with such a high end vibe... From Yam, I would have expected something more rectangular, sober, and with VU meters...

Yes it looks a little different, but that's the point. I've been waiting for the Japanese to embrace the best things about the 80s and even have a nod to the tube era with either chassis mounted capacitors or enclosed transformers. They've done it here, with an almost cross between Nakamichi, a field recorder aesthetic and a distributed power station building-style look with those toroids encased and ventilated.

It's designed to be looked at from the seated postion at an angle and touched. Those flat wheel knobs are brilliant as they are exactly where your right hand would be.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one to play with.

Yamaha have made some very aesthetically brave products, does anyone remember the classic B-6 Power amp from 1980?

1695888354379.png

1695888410573.png

Soria Moria

Are any of the DSP features good? Asking since they apparently have them on other products(?).

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In terms of engineerung, their flagship headphones (that probably goes with this amp?) is average at best.

I'd be prepared to wager those headphones would sound really excellent.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha have made some very aesthetically brave products, does anyone remember the classic B-6 Power amp from 1980?
I do, but I am afraid most hifi fans are rather conservative when it comes to their hobby so I guess such products don't sell well.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will add that the usability also sucked. Only tried to adjust the volume, but that was awful. Traditional volume knob is waaay better.

Top Bottom