• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Yamaha HL-L7A looks awesome!

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
but tell me then, in what perspective is this thing worth it’s € 4000?

No way is it worth that amount of money. It's as stupid price for a headphone amplifier, I agree.

But there's one born every minute as they say. Amir is reviewing some USD$3500 headphones as we speak and I just shake my head.

That said, I like the look of the thing, but I won't be lining up to buy one.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They still deliver a 90 SINAD dac/headphone combo for € 4000 though…
And people gobble them up, just like the A-S1000/1100/1200 or R-N803D or even NS-333 speakers. Each vastly successful in their niches.
I don't know what their sales numbers look like, say in the AV market, but i guess they still make a good profit there too.

BTW, it's a DAC/headphoneamp/DSP combo. I think much of the value is in the DSP. Not $4k, but it's not nothing.

Whatever… but tell me then, in what perspective is this thing worth it’s € 4000?
You sound poor, friend. Need a job? :p

But seriously, they are a hifi company and need a few flagship products.
They may very well sell a good amount of these things in Japan, but also in Europe or the US, regardless of us thinking this to be bad value. I know they have a good amount of fanboys in south america too.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No way is it worth that amount of money. It's as stupid price for a headphone amplifier, I agree.
I'm glad we agree :)

That said, I like the look of the thing, but I won't be lining up to buy one.
I don't, and I generally like Yamaha product looks, and overall, I even think their value isn't too bad either.

But seriously, they are a hifi company and need a few flagship products.
Nothing wrong with that. But being a flagship, I would expect SOTA performance and nothing less. I can understand paying more for the design (how ugly it may be), extra features (DSP), and product longevity (I suspect it will last longer than most Chinese products, although 30x as long may be a stretch).

If it looks the part, it should also perform that way! Otherwise, just get a painting if you want something nice to look at. It will keep better value, and will probably impress your friends more ;) And your better half would probably agree as well :cool:

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But being a flagship, I would expect SOTA performance and nothing less.

State of the art is not necessarily a few arbitrary parameters decided by an internet review site. It can be everything from technical inclusions, construction, quality, exclusivity and reliability. Price, sadly takes a back seat, but that's always been the case at the pointy end.

And what is state of the art? It's a transient, short lived moniker when applied to anything. Don't buy anything based on it being SOTA, because it may not be that at all, and certainly may not be even close to deserving that designation.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It can be everything from technical inclusions, construction, quality, exclusivity and reliability.
For this price, I expect all of these things. It should be perfection even though I don't think anyone can hear the difference between 90 and 120 SINAD (unless maybe the gain is very high, and noise dominates the figure).

Don't buy anything based on it being SOTA, because it may not be that at all, and certainly may not be even close to deserving that designation.
For whatever parameters you define, it is... That doesn't mean that there are other parameters that influence the buying decision. There are plenty more, and everyone should decide for themselves which ones are important.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Haha....
Only yamaha fanboy will buy...
I actually like Yamaha, I have had countless devices from them since their hi-fi beginnings and they have not disappointed me. The design of the Natural Sound series was particularly influential in terms of style. But this device is a terrible aberration of taste in my eyes. I even find the headphones very ugly.

I also wonder whether my cheap Topping L30 II might not be even better. ;)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this device is a terrible aberration of taste in my eyes
Maybe it'll grow on you?
7009.jpg

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The design of the Natural Sound series was particularly influential in terms of style.

The CA-1000 is an early winner of the Japanese Good Design Awards IIRC.

I think this is an attempt to re-imagine the designs of the Italian industrial designer they used in the 1970s for their series with the angled cassette decks, pyramid amp etc. What was his name?

Mario something?

1701335057062.png

Haha. @TheBatsEar got in while I was typing!

kongkong

I actually like Yamaha, I have had countless devices from them since their hi-fi beginnings and they have not disappointed me. The design of the Natural Sound series was particularly influential in terms of style. But this device is a terrible aberration of taste in my eyes. I even find the headphones very ugly.

I also wonder whether my cheap Topping L30 II might not be even better. ;)
I don't know well like you, sir. Because I don't have enough exprience about audio equipment area. (I am in my 30s)
But I respect their history and when I have seen yamaha's report such as about beryllium diaphragm, I feel they was very innovatory in 20th century.

And when I was young my father had a yamaha amplfier and pioneer's set(tuner, cdp also). Thanks to those good quality equipments, my memory is fill with good music. Very reliable build quality better than nowdays cheap amplifier.

So, I never doubt yamaha audio equipment quality and it lead my first speaker. (Used msp5 studio and hs5)

But if there is my freind wants to make music or start to listen music, I will not recommend yamaha's equipment eventhough they have good quality. Now I use kh80 + subwoofer + minidsp and already recommended lp6v2 who wanted to buy hs5)

Generation is changed.
Price is not attract.
performance and measurement is similar to other high price famous brand.
In that area, I know there are other brand option.
That's why I said "that headphone is only for yamaha fan".
If my friend is rich and he wants to buy high-end headphone, I may recommend DC stealth or HM Susvara.

I hope my words don't make you uncomfortable:)

Last edited:
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If my friend is rich and he wants to buy high-end headphone, I may recommend DC stealth or HM Susvara.

Good recommendation. For now.

But what about in 10 years when he needs a replacement driver and these companies have gone tits-up?

Yamaha retain parts for decades for their TOTL gear.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kongkong

Good recommendation. For now.

But what about in 10 years when he needs a replacement driver and these companies have gone tits-up?

Yamaha retain parts for decades for their TOTL gear.
Value or preference is up to personal priority.

Yes, that pros makes many people trust yamaha.
There is no doubt about it. :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You ca not really debate taste ( now I'm doing it anyway ..) but this is a very unorthodox design and it's not for all people .

But the execution is much better than some high end hifi ? they seem nicely done , the chromed horror's of high end look's far worse imo :)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
the chromed horror's of high end look's far worse imo
I must admit that I find the current state of design less appealing than before. We seem to be in an era of design arbitrariness due to CAD/CAM methods, where anything is possible and quickly thrown together.

Top Bottom