• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Open Mind Audio

There’s a subculture of people who use cinema or PA speakers at home.* The problem for most of us is they’re mostly big and ugly.

*I guess I’m in it, given the 4 JBL CBT surrounds in our family room!
Can you share photos of those JBL surrounds? How do you like them? Always wondered about those.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Single.

Here's a link to the published response curve: https://products.electrovoice.com/b...Column_System_Datasheet_51_en_27096630923.pdf
Different EQ modes give different results, of course, but I don't think anyone could say the HF response looks good.

Chris
Hmm, ok…I have one set up in my listening room right now, I don’t really hear any issues in the FR. Maybe I’ll fire up REW and take a few measurements.
Well, I took a couple of measurements of my Evolve 50 from about 5’ away and 5’ from the floor. On-axis and 45 deg off-axis:
IMG_0791.jpeg

Pretty impressive dispersion I think…the elevated treble also makes sense for a speaker designed to project sound over a long distance. I’m sure I could probably eq this thing pretty flat just with it’s onboard tone controls.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I took a couple of measurements of my Evolve 50 from about 5’ away and 5’ from the floor. On-axis and 45 deg off-axis:
View attachment 344509

Pretty impressive dispersion I think…the elevated treble also makes sense for a speaker designed to project sound over a long distance. I’m sure I could probably eq this thing pretty flat just with it’s onboard tone controls.

This is what the manual shows for presets. Isn’t that the goal? Good dispersion and then eq to taste?

1706060528664.png

norman bates

Forum Donor
I’ve wanted to make a mttm with morel cat378 and eminence b102, mainly for 15’ mlp (main listening position).

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I remember seeing this a while back but somehow just remembered. Thoughts?

Flaesh

Thoughts?
I have a habit of listening to “less room.” Although my speakers (SEOS24+15") are smaller than 4722.
Dynamic capabilities (which some scoff at) are also sometimes used:D
I don't know how (for ears))) the two tweeters will interfere.
I wonder what the minimum listening distance is on above
For "normal" 2ways crossed below 1k about ten feet or more is ok IME.
With the orange and red amps it should look great and deserves a quality paint job! Or vinyl-wrap must be very careful.

Top Bottom