• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent Active Midfield (10ft) speakers, ~$1400 low-budget | For turntable setup, casual listening

NathanR

I have a friend who came to me for a decent record playing setup.
Edit: for his study/mancave (separate room from HTS)

He wanted to spend ~$1500 on speakers and ~$300-500 on turntable.

I explained that WAV/FLAC digital will be better long-term sonically, but the experience of record playing can offset that statement if weighted-value was appropriately considered.

He has about ~150 albums he wants to listen to and will listen at a distance of about 9-12ft (3-4M).
Jazz & R&B genre's.
I said the USB feature on the Audio Technica Turntable I'm recommending allows recording to computer if he wanted that.

He has not decided on a route (digital vs record).
For reference: he thinks his home theater orb system with Velodyne DLS 5000r subwoofer and Yamaha RX-V767 sounds great.

So-far my short list of recommendations (after some research on ASR) are:
Genelec 8030c
AT-LP120XUSB

I think the 8030c won't be enough. So I am recommending the 8040b if the budget can be stretched.
See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/better-speakers-than-8030c.50497/

Thoughts?
Did I include enough info?
Are there threads that I haven't read that I need to read?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it this will be for a different room than the Yamaha avr sits in? It even has a phono stage....

Ellebob

Forum Donor
How is he going to control the volume?
Will it be a passive volume control like Genelec 9000 or Mackie Big Knob or does he plan to use some type of pre-amp with possibly a remote control? You wouldn't want to use the turntable directly into the speakers unless the speakers have a volume control.

For Speakers here are some recommendation although Genelec would be top of my list but would still want to add a sub.

Kali IN 5 or 8 and their WS-6.2 sub. Still needs a volume control
KEF LSX II wireless with Kali Sub. This gives you volume with a remote or by app as well as other streaming options. (Kef sub too expensive but can use other subs). Won't go as loud as the other but for more casual listening it will be great.
JBL LSR 308 with 310 sub
Focal Alpha 65 with sub
IK Multimedia Iloud MTM with sub
Mackie 824 with sub

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think Kali IN-8s might be the best bet here. They don't need a sub to be effectively (but not completely) full range, and they have decent spl capabilities. Plus, given their coaxial design, they're pretty placement friendly (within reason).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes... mancave/study, etc.
Thank you for clarification, OP updated.
Personally if he really wants the content on the 150 LPs I'd consider simply replacing them with digital versions unless the actual goal is to somehow determine the effect of any audible differences compared to digital? While I still have my tt, and all my vinyl from the last 50 years plus (but none newer than 25 years), I just don't find any differences to be particularly noteworthy on any of the recordings I like.

OP
NathanR

NathanR

How is he going to control the volume?
Will it be a passive volume control like Genelec 9000 or Mackie Big Knob or does he plan to use some type of pre-amp with possibly a remote control? You wouldn't want to use the turntable directly into the speakers unless the speakers have a volume control.
Originally, cheapest analog available that's reviewed by ASR.

Personally if he really wants the content on the 150 LPs I'd consider simply replacing them with digital versions unless the actual goal is to somehow determine the effect of any audible differences compared to digital? While I still have my tt, and all my vinyl from the last 50 years plus (but none newer than 25 years), I just don't find any differences to be particularly noteworthy on any of the recordings I like.
I agree.

I had a nice conversation with my friend yesterday about his project and I might have convinced him to forgo the LP route.

I relied heavily on the discussion here: vinyl renaissance ASR thread and spoke about the experience of vinyl vs the quality and/or ease of digital.

I showed him the Wiim Pro Plus streamer and he was very intrigued and would mull things over some.

Given the change in priorities that opens up some more options/changes the landscape.

Kali IN 5 or 8 and their WS-6.2 sub. Still needs a volume control
KEF LSX II wireless with Kali Sub. This gives you volume with a remote or by app as well as other streaming options. (Kef sub too expensive but can use other subs). Won't go as loud as the other but for more casual listening it will be great.
JBL LSR 308 with 310 sub
Focal Alpha 65 with sub
IK Multimedia Iloud MTM with sub
Mackie 824 with sub

Thank you for this list. Definitely had not considered any of those.

I think Kali IN-8s might be the best bet here. They don't need a sub to be effectively (but not completely) full range, and they have decent spl capabilities. Plus, given their coaxial design, they're pretty placement friendly (within reason).
Excellent point about coaxial.

---

KEF LSX II w/ sub- Looks promising if my friend decides against LP route.

Top Bottom