• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MT 48

eazyhiro

Hey guys,
if you had to choose between the Neumann MT 48 & the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R, which way would you go?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys,
if you had to choose between the Neumann MT 48 & the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R, which way would you go?
The RME: best peace of gear I ever bought. But I admit it could be vice versa, if I had purchased the Neumann first :p

eazyhiro

The RME is ca. 400€ cheaper but having extra ADAT + preamps with the Neumann is probably ever penny worth of those 400€. I'm just wondering which one is actually the best DAC & headphone amp.

fabien.56

Le RME est d'env. 400 € moins cher, mais avoir des préamplis ADAT + supplémentaires avec le Neumann vaut probablement un centime sur ces 400 €. Je me demande simplement lequel est réellement le meilleur DAC et ampli casque.
I had both ... But not with the same hardware so I would not venture to compare too quickly ...
The advantage of the MT48 comes down to the AES67 connectors and its 4 competition preamps and all these possibilities.

Headphone amp is really good.

I love my MT48 ;)

Last edited:

fabien.56

Hello
I currently have an MT48 audio interface and I'm really happy with it.
I'm going to restart my speakers with active filtration.
Filtration and equalization will be done on my computer which will be connected via USB to my MT48.
I will also need a subwoofer.
Question:
Can I connect my MT48 2x2 way and 1 subwoofer???
I made a diagram to be clearer.
Thank you for your answers

I also asked Neumann the question, I'm waiting for their response...

3ypt.jpeg

Last edited:

PureLIN

Can I connect my MT48 2x2 way and 1 subwoofer???
FYI:
Currently the Music mission is only for stereo and you can't control 3 mix's volume at same time.
I think you need Monitor Mission in Anubis, and it will coming soon in MT48 (maybe soooooooooon).

If you don't need volume control, for connectting sub you can use:
1. headphone out (simplest way, can add 4ch unbanlanced or 2ch banalced)
2. Optical: ADAT (can't auto sync sample rate since ADAT only have 44.1/48 clock) or SPDIF (96k max)
3. Dante VAIO in AES67 mode (only 48K)
4. Another Ravenna Device (the cheapest one is MT48 or Anubis)

Besides:
I'm working on create a homebrew output only device using raspi 4b (can support up to 192k, as same as MT48) , but I'm stuck on PTP sync.
With out PTP sync device will have click/pop time to time due to clock drift, needs some workaround.

fabien.56

Yes headphone output. It is easy to find TS to RCA adapter, then use normal RCA cable to your subwoofer.

What is exact model subwoofer?

PureLIN

Is this 2 ch config actually balanced though?
MT48 can switch polar of any analog output channel, so can used as a banalce TRS by invert one headphone output channel and output a mono signal to it.
Edit: OK I misunderstood you meaning, I thinks it's balanced output as 2 output channel has same circuit and same impedance.
I have read some articles before, the balanced signal is quite complicated, you even don't need to output singal on cold pins.
Checkout "Impedance Balance", just only add a resistor to unbalanced output and Antelope love that (they use Impedance Balance on their DB25 Line output).

Last edited:

PureLIN

Yes headphone output. It is easy to find TS to RCA adapter
I don't think shoud use a TS output on headphones out, it's impedance is too small and will short one output channel.
Shoud use a TRS to RCA , just make tip or ring un attched.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't think shoud use a TS output on headphones out, it's impedance is too small and will short one output channel.
Shoud use a TRS to RCA , just make tip or ring un attched.
Hmm maybe I miss something but if ring is not connected then it is same as TS no?

But TRS to RCA adapter would be fine too

fabien.56

Not easy all this...
I think that the MT48 is simply not really suited to my new needs.

EDIT :
I also asked Neumann the question, I'm waiting for their response...
I'm still waiting for a response from Neumann.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
In my knowledge TS plug will short Ring and Sheild when insert into TRS socket.
Understood but I don't think MT 48's unbalanced is TRS socket - I may be wrong but do you have this info ?

fabien.56

I don’t know Monitor Mission ???
How will this change for my needs ???

Last edited:

PureLIN

How will this change for my needs ???

Monitor mission is foucs on multichannel Monitor.
It support control multiple output at same time, EQ changed to 24 bands each output , and even have Bass Management.
(But as I mentioned before, it's EQ is not same as REW, I'm trying to findout the formula) :
1693732606477.png
1693733030212.png

1693733084400.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom