• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MT 48

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
From the pictures it appears to have a tiny fan on left and right side. I wonder how much noise they make.

Trell

Major Contributor
Looks awesome if you need a maximum performance 2i4o interface but not sure that 3 bands of PEQ and a decent headphone amp are good enough reasons for listening-only buyers to get this thing at nearly $2K.
A listening-only buyer will leave a lot of the device’s functionally unused. A RME ADI-2 DAC FS would be a better and cheaper option, in my option, unless you can make use of the AES67 it has

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A listening-only buyer will leave a lot of the device’s functionally unused. A RME ADI-2 DAC FS would be a better and cheaper option, in my option, unless you can make use of the AES67 it has
it's a production tool and aes67 is a game changer - opens up serious i/o to other gear...

Trell

Major Contributor
it's a production tool and aes67 is a game changer - opens up serious i/o to other gear...
Exactly, but that other gear is not exactly inexpensive, so for a home studio the ADAT connection might be more useful.

Ifrit

this was Topping, the MT 48 would be called "Anubis + / S / Pro"
Anubis already comes in 2 versions, “Pro” is what Neumann took as base for mt-48, only goes to 192 kHz, and “Premium”, that does up to 384 PCM and DXD/DSD.
USB and ADAT are nice additions in Neumann. Drivers need to be good though.

Watsonian

Own an Anubis. MT48 looks like Music Mission with some additions/tweaks. Neumann's user manual states that it can be used driverless on the Mac, although you may not have access to all features. That's an interesting statement!

Otherwise, the Anubis is a very flexible unit. Looks like Neumann have concentrated on greater ease of use and have taken out quite a lot of the fiddly bits which can generate annoyance. Of note is that they've started with the music and not the monitoring mission.

We'll have to wait and see on this one...could be very interesting to see what Neumann do...if they invest in the platform and back up their initial marketing promise with decent software support and evolution.

Last edited:

OMas

Audio Company
I haven’t talked w/anyone at Merging about this but this appears to be, as mentioned previously, a reskinned Anubis. My guess, knowing a bit about both Merging and Sennheiser, is that the Neumann group forked the software and made their own version.

As to use cases; this would be a top choice for audiophiles wanting to rip vinyl, alongside Metric Halo’s ULN-8 mk IV. Less expensive than MH, with a different sound and similar functionality though the ULN-8 has far more global DSP.

james57

any possibility of using a simple remote other than ipad for vol ctrl ?

PureLIN

Drivers need to be good though.
They release the first version driver, obvious thesycon driver, audio and net combo:
1685330276305.png

Control panel even use default thesycon logo rather than neumann logo:facepalm::
1685330337798.png

I actually want to buy one since I need AOIP but some device need USB too, but I feel they are too hurry to release, dealer said they are intend to release it in early June but have to dealy with driver issue.
Well..... Voicemeeter and VBAN is good for daily use:).

Music1969

Major Contributor
With 4 band PEQ I can already see users requesting more, like RME ADI-2 series hehe.
Inside is a Merging Anubis.

And Merging Anubis supports 15 bands PEQ per channel... for quite a while now.

I have no idea why they limited it in the Neumann.

People should email them and ask for the same as Anubis - hardware inside is much the same, in terms of processing power.

giordy

is that the Neumann group forked the software and made their own version.
Neumann ( Sennheiser) bought the shares of merging technology from Mister Claude Cellier ....
no copy of anubis software.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My guess, knowing a bit about both Merging and Sennheiser, is that the Neumann group forked the software and made their own version.

2022 news:

PureLIN

I have no idea why they limited it in the Neumann.
I think they are limit this on purpose since they want you use MT48 with Neumann DSP monitor (KH80 KH150 etc), which already have MA1 as room correction.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think they are limit this on purpose since they want you use MT48 with Neumann DSP monitor (KH80 KH150 etc), which already have MA1 as room correction.
I see what you are saying but Offering the same EQ bands as Anubis won't stop someone that is interested in monitors

One is speakers and one is interface.

You can offer 24 bands so people can use with headphones, and still use Neumann DSP monitors with MA1 room correction

PureLIN

I see what you are saying but Offering the same EQ bands as Anubis won't stop someone that is interested in monitors
Totally agreed, but who knows what Neumman team are thinking.
Look at the anubis manual, you can see the eq is banks of 4 so there will be 336/4=84 banks, so maybe current MT48 firmware don't support dynamic alloc these eq banks between channels, and the aes67 streams will eat off the rest banks, and dynamic alloc is not a urget task since they have MA1.
Just look at the driver Neumann release, I think they are still working on the firmware/software, it even don't support multichannel at current.

Top Bottom