• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Neumann KH80DSP with MA1 connection require audio interface and network switch?

Koeni__

I’m looking forward to getting my first pair of studio monitors. 1000$ budget with 4 to 5 inches size for home listening. I’m on Neumann KH80 DSP since there is a deal that a pair with MA1 alignment mic cost 1000$. My room doesn’t have any treatment, so the alignment kit is appealing. But I’m struggling to understand how many extra supplements I need to connect those things. (I haven’t bought the monitors yet)

x2_desktop_Blockdiagramme_1-3_enger_farbiger_2020-10-12_W1350_EN.png

Question 1: Do I have to get an Audio Interface for MA1 alignment mic to work?
The official website only shows the possibility of using audio interface to connect MA1. Will XLR to USB adapter work for MA1 to PC connection?

Question 2: How does the ethernet connection work?
Do I have to buy a network switch? I have my laptop with one ethernet port (Lenovo Legion 5). My router is about 15 meters away, it’s on the other end of the other room. Can I connect both monitors to laptop’s ethernet port (with an ethernet splitter)? If not, can I connect them to router directly? Or I must buy a network switch?

I have none of those audio cables, network cables, adapters, audio interface, network switch. It will be some investment for me to get the alignment work done. It will cost way more than simply buy the Alignment Kit unless you already have those accessories which I assume most people don’t.

PS: Neumann’s user manuals and website assume everybody is a pro and it is, to some extent, misleading. I read all the manuals and watch more than 10 YouTube videos but still can’t find the information I want. I know it’s a pro monitors, but the manual is lacking essential information (understandability) a user manual should normally have.
I don’t really find any competitor except Dynaudio LYD 5 but in Amir’s LYD5 review: “Despite its small woofer, the KH80 maned to produce clean and natural bass.” If you guys have any better recommendation, please share with me!

Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do I have to get an Audio Interface for MA1 alignment mic to work?
Yes.

Question 2: How does the ethernet connection work?
Do I have to buy a network switch?
You may be able to use your home network.
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work, but also wouldn't be surprised if for some reason it doesn't.

Luckily, a network switch is <$20 nowadays.

An audio interface can also be bought for around $50 (Swissonic Audio 1, UMC22, Komplete Audio 1).

Top Bottom