• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MT 48

Music1969

Major Contributor
Fxxk, I just fogot to register my MT48, and the mointor mission will cost around 300$ from my local dealer!
:facepalm:
The link states "Users who register their MT 48 with the manufacturer before July 1, 2024, will receive their activation key for the Monitor Mission free of charge."

We are only in January 2024 :)

PureLIN

The link states "Users who register their MT 48 with the manufacturer before July 1, 2024, will receive their activation key for the Monitor Mission free of charge."

We are only in January 2024 :)
I just think it's 1(January)/1/2024 since it will be release at Febuary.
My English is bad, especially at month/numbers:facepalm:.

spamilton

I wonder why Neumann did include a coaxial output to run digital direct to the monitors/subwoofer(s) versus the optical toslink port, that will require an adapter.
I assume you mean did "not" include. Yes, no coaxial is pretty annoying considering their speakers have the connection as you mentioned. Maybe they had space limitations and opted to push the AES67 jack, thereby encouraging the purchase of the more expensive AES speaker models. Regardless, more options would have been better. RME handled this with a breakout cable.

PureLIN

I wonder why Neumann did include a coaxial output to run digital direct to the monitors/subwoofer(s) versus the optical toslink port, that will require an adapter.
Optical spdif to coax spdif is pretty cheap (at least in China, it only cost me about $5), the true limit here is spdif only go up to 96k, higher is only supported with adat.
That's strange, some interface don't support spdif and adat higher than 96k, some both support, only MT48 support adat but not spdif.

PureLIN

The issue that DAW1 jumper is forced replaced by USB connection after every restart, even if USB I/Os are completely turned off, still exists. Is there anybody experiencing the same issues? I have submitted this bug in last July, but never got a feedback. And it has lain in the known issues for months. A bit disappointed.
Don't use DAW for network input, leave it for USB.
Go to Settings->AudioInputs->GenericAes67Streams, enable it with channel count you want (biggest can be 48) for network inputs, then reboot.
After reboot, you will see the "Generic AES67" channels available in Aneman, route input to it, then MT48 will show up a new channel in mixer.
I never use Aneman though, I always use advanced settings.

fabien.56

ENDzZ

Don't use DAW for network input, leave it for USB.
Go to Settings->AudioInputs->GenericAes67Streams, enable it with channel count you want (biggest can be 48) for network inputs, then reboot.
After reboot, you will see the "Generic AES67" channels available in Aneman, route input to it, then MT48 will show up a new channel in mixer.
I never use Aneman though, I always use advanced settings.
Thanks, haven't thought about that, really good solution.

PureLIN

BTW, the Q formula coming from regression analysis based on loopback measurement result:
Input Q is the Generic EQ type in REW.
def calculate_q(freq, gain, q): magic_number = 0.69955758 * pow(1.00024008, freq) + 15.04935167 return magic_number * q / pow(10, abs(gain) / 40)
Should be good enough for room correction.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
BTW, the Q formula coming from regression analysis based on loopback measurement result:
Input Q is the Generic EQ type in REW.
def calculate_q(freq, gain, q): magic_number = 0.69955758 * pow(1.00024008, freq) + 15.04935167 return magic_number * q / pow(10, abs(gain) / 40)
Should be good enough for room correction.
Wow did you share this with Neumann? Because they still have no idea how to convert

Can you share Microsoft Excel of the formula

Im not very good with excel

PureLIN

Wow did you share this with Neumann? Because they still have no idea how to convert
No, it's a approximation with some errors (the error is small though).
Since Merging is behind Neumann (actually I think all the firmware/software for MT48 is handled by merging), they could get the excact formula since have the Pyramix source code.
Maybe they don't have time and formula it's not a big deal (since Anubis have soundId, all neumann new speakers have ma1), or they just don't want to share with us.

PureLIN

Can you share Microsoft Excel of the formula
The regression is done with python script, and I create another script for convert the REW export txt file into NeuMi snapshot file for importing it into MT48.
Just export the EQ from REW with name EQ-L.txt/EQ-R.txt, run my script with python .\MT48-EQ.py and it will create the NeuMi file in output dir.
You can consult ChatGPT/New bing for how to run python on your PC.
Since music mission only support 4 band eq, this script will also auto split the input eqs, eq same for left/right will be export with naming "common", suitable for apply to bus EQ.
The EQ in MT48 support Q precision down to 0.1 but not fully support in UI change, have to use import.
(attachment is the script but naming to txt for uploading)

Attachments

• MT48-EQ.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
The regression is done with python script, and I create another script for convert the REW export txt file into NeuMi snapshot file for importing it into MT48.
Just export the EQ from REW with name EQ-L.txt/EQ-R.txt, run my script with python .\MT48-EQ.py and it will create the NeuMi file in output dir.
You can consult ChatGPT/New bing for how to run python on your PC.
Since music mission only support 4 band eq, this script will also auto split the input eqs, eq same for left/right will be export with naming "common", suitable for apply to bus EQ.
The EQ in MT48 support Q precision down to 0.1 but not fully support in UI change, have to use import.
(attachment is the script but naming to txt for uploading)
Thanks!

Is it possible to just convert to a mathematical formula?

Like Q_REW = some function of Q_MT48 & gain ? What would be the formula from your investigation ?

Then for each frequency, I can manually calculate Q_REW

Or I can try to make an Excel and share here

PureLIN

In excel, use A for Freq,B for Gain, C for Q in Rew, and D will be
=ROUND( (0.69955758 * POWER(1.00024008,A1)+15.04935167) * C1 / POWER(10,ABS(B1)/40),1)
That will calculate the Q for MT48 for you.
Please notice that the Freq, Gain and Q value may not able input precisely in UI, and that's why I recommend using python script and import into MT48.

Also, by my setup trying reuslt, in music mission can have max 12 seperate EQ + 4 shared EQ for each channel with some sacrifice and hacks:
1. create an adat jumper, loop back adat output to input (no more adat now).
2. use one mixer for L channel mix, one mixer for R channel mix, and one mixer for output (you can only have another mixer for headphone, that all)
3. make the two channel mixers output to ADAT ch 1-2 , 1 for mixer L and 2 for mixer R
4. the output mixer will only have ADAT 1-2 as input, and output to hardware (XLR/TRS)
The EQ are placed in :
4 EQ for inital input channel, 4 EQ for input mix with L mixer and R mixer (I use this two mixer to mix audio from multiple PC), 4 EQ for adat input, and the final bus EQ for sharing with LR.
That's how I used now, but that is too complicated and since monitor mission is going to release I think no more need for it.
The jumper I made however is pretty cool ;), I will attach a pic below。

Attachments

• photo_2024-02-03_22-48-06.jpg
    photo_2024-02-03_22-48-06.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Filio45

Yes, no coaxial is pretty annoying considering their speakers have the connection as you mentioned. Maybe they had space limitations and opted to push the AES67 jack, thereby encouraging the purchase of the more expensive AES speaker models. Regardless, more options would have been better. RME handled this with a breakout cable.
agree it's disappointing.. Presumably the $15 optical to spdif converters on amazon don't degrade the signal. Also requires an additional cable; 5V to power the converter.

Last edited:

james57

HI all as I am still looking for a cost effective and performant solution for my semi HT setup, can you pls confirm some of the following

Setup : I want to run a 2.1 set up, my feed is mainly optical from a lg G1 that I am using as a hub.

. does the new monitor mission need to run on a pc all the time or simply for the setup an thats it.
. from one input can I route 3 channels L, R and (sub bass + lfe) at 100-120hz cutoff for all 3 ie low pass and h pass depending
. can I apply at least a 4-5 band eq on each
. seems like monitor mission can time align all 3
. does monitor mission have some auto room correction possibility ie dirac, etc,,
this might cover my shopping list :)

Thanks

PureLIN

. does the new monitor mission need to run on a pc all the time or simply for the setup an thats it.
All missions is running standlone MT48, both Music and Monitor.
. from one input can I route 3 channels L, R and (sub bass + lfe) at 100-120hz cutoff for all 3 ie low pass and h pass depending
Monitor mission have bass management.
. can I apply at least a 4-5 band eq on each
Max 24 band each ch on Monitor mission
. seems like monitor mission can time align all 3
Yes, using delay control.
. does monitor mission have some auto room correction possibility ie dirac, etc,,
No, you need REW to generate the EQ for MT48.
this might cover my shopping list :)
I think MT48 is overkill for your need if you don't use AoIP for multiple PC running at same time.

With 2.1 setup, some cheaper option:
For pro audio interface:
1. MOTU Ultralite MK5, and optical input support 96k optical spdif and USB.
2. Antelope Zen Go/Q, with coxial spdif (192k I think) and USB.
Both support work standalone and some dsp for you need.
For consumer DAC, check the minidsp Flex or SHD series, they both have optical/coxial spdif and can support Dirac (flex need buy a license but cheaper, SHD have more function ex:streaming music).

PureLIN

ooking for a cost effective and performant solution for my semi HT setup, can you pls confirm some of the following
Besides, if you want to have ability to update to atmos 7.1.4, AV receiver will be your only option for now, consumer atmos audio is only available through HDMI and same with DTSX, MT48 is for producer with raw 7.1.4 audio.
For 7.1 audio from TV/game console is the same thing, but if all your media is from PC then a USB interface with 8 output should work.

PureLIN

Monitor Mission is finally available, but there are some feature missing compare to Music Mission (even for Anubis, I checked the Anubis manual):
1. EQ is not available through webpage and no preset, so can't be imported, precision is limited to the touch screen input.
2. Fine precision is not available, so you can only adjust volume by 0.5 dB.
3. No Reverb and Dynamics processing.
It also have bugs, one bug I encountered is AoIP audio source won't produce sound until I remove the USB input and add it again.
I think I will play around with it Mission and back with more info.

To get the Mission:
1. Go to https://product-registration.neumann.com/ , login or register a new account.
2. Go to REGISTER PRODUCT, fill form, then go to PRODUCTS
3. You should see a green "Retrieve Key" button on you MT48 line "Monitor Mission", click it then click the "Retrieve Key" in pop up, then you will have the Key.
4. There is a instruction manual below the "Retrieve Key" button, for short, launch the "License Manager" then input the key, please notice: you will need to wait few minutes after get the key to make the key available in lincense server, input it as soon as you get it will have a error message.

Last edited:
Top Bottom