• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 369 89.8%

• Total voters

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What speaker stands are you using for your desk setups? Currently, mine are resting on foam isolation pads, but I'm searching for a solution to raise them closer to ear level.
Neumann LH 65.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why is the white one more expensive on Thomann ?

Screenshot_20240301_132406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_132422_Chrome.jpg

boxerfan88

Why is the white one more expensive on Thomann ?

Same reason why popular colored IKEA LACK table cost more than less popular colors -- maximize profit.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was the same price at introduction for a short time. When you are not in a hurry you can wait for some sales or at least contact the shop and ask for a better price.
They for sure do less pieces of the white version but still, the difference is steep.

Prolix

Forum Donor
I'm trying to incorporate a pair of these into my basement AV system. Connecting them (rca-->xlr from Arcam receiver) not only makes them hum but introduces ground loop hum into my other speakers. These don't even need to be turned on to make the other speakers hum. The interesting bit is if I swap in my Genelec 8020s with everything else the same the hum disappears, so it's some difference between the two models, and both Neumanns behave the same so it's not a unit defect. Using a single outlet doesn't help, and upgrading to a receiver with xlrs isn't an option at the moment. What does work is plugging each monitor into a HumX but that sort of bandaid fix as a long term solution makes me grumpy. Any ideas?

Zaireeka

Stupid question, have you tried the "ground lift" switch button ?

IamJF

How is your adapter wired? With ground lift active there really should not be hum in the system when everything is done right.

Miguelón

On the measurements looks phenomenal but I’ve bought one for trying and after a week I only can say that (at least for me) is overestimated.

Nothing sounds so bad, but nothing sounds so good neither. “Boring” is the word that comes to my head but is more like “predictable”

For mixing is sure that will show a lot, but I compared with Genelec 8030 (which is quite flat also) and the last one is quite more enjoyable while showing more information at mid range.

Bass is quite good, no complaints about it as Amir said.

Waiting for a streamer with spdif output, to check how it performs with its direct internal conversion, just in case this “greyness” is due to mixing two DACs and one ADC blurring a little bit mid and high frequencies. A violin sound horrendous for example, never heard something so bizarre. Piano not so bad, voices quite unnatural (but there the Genelec is spectacular, so is unfair to compare).

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
On the measurements looks phenomenal but I’ve bought one for trying and after a week I only can say that (at least for me) is overestimated.

Nothing sounds so bad, but nothing sounds so good neither. “Boring” is the word that comes to my head but is more like “predictable”

For mixing is sure that will show a lot, but I compared with Genelec 8030 (which is quite flat also) and the last one is quite more enjoyable while showing more information at mid range.

Bass is quite good, no complaints about it as Amir said.

Waiting for a streamer with spdif output, to check how it performs with its direct internal conversion, just in case this “greyness” is due to mixing two DACs and one ADC blurring a little bit mid and high frequencies. A violin sound horrendous for example, never heard something so bizarre. Piano not so bad, voices quite unnatural (but there the Genelec is spectacular, so is unfair to compare).
What is your experience with studio monitors and why you went that way? I can't imagine them sounding that different, I owned both of them and both are very good, it's either some strong bias or user error. Do you have any measurement of your in room response? Did you calibrate them with MA1? Why are you comparing digital monitors to analog model, instead of 8330?

BubbleBuddy

There are good sales on these in Australia right now and I'm about to place an order from a local Sydney audio shop. The issue is that the MA1 microphones are still super expensive and not available for renting. My room setup is far from ideal so I'm desperate to get hold of one to do room adjustments.

Does anyone have any advice for getting an MA1 short term in Australia without purchasing outright? If any fellow Australian users are in here and have an MA1 they're comfortable sharing, it would be most appreciated.

Is everyone else just buying MA1's to keep? I don't know how useful they would be after the calibration is done. Would there be any point using one as an "upgrade" over my Blue Yeti for conference calls?

staticV3

Master Contributor
There are good sales on these in Australia right now and I'm about to place an order from a local Sydney audio shop. The issue is that the MA1 microphones are still super expensive and not available for renting. My room setup is far from ideal so I'm desperate to get hold of one to do room adjustments.

Does anyone have any advice for getting an MA1 short term in Australia without purchasing outright? If any fellow Australian users are in here and have an MA1 they're comfortable sharing, it would be most appreciated.

Is everyone else just buying MA1's to keep? I don't know how useful they would be after the calibration is done. Would there be any point using one as an "upgrade" over my Blue Yeti for conference calls?
You can rent one for six months for 155AUD: https://www.musicorp.com.au/pro-aud...-monitor-alignment-microphone/212188-1959098/

Still not cheap but better than the 400AUD for a new one.

Edit: here's another rental service: https://sounddevices.com.au/collections/monitors/products/neumann-ma-1-measurement-microphone
Screenshot_20240404-232339_Chrome.png
Might be even cheaper.

BubbleBuddy

You can rent one for six months for 155AUD: https://www.musicorp.com.au/pro-aud...-monitor-alignment-microphone/212188-1959098/

Still not cheap but better than the 400AUD for a new one.

Edit: here's another rental service: https://sounddevices.com.au/collections/monitors/products/neumann-ma-1-measurement-microphone
View attachment 361399
Might be even cheaper.
Thanks Static!

I'll look into these. Is an MA1 necessary to run Neumann's room adjustment software? Would any measurement mic be compatible?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why don't every brand has a simple solution for noons like me like GLM is beyond me

IamJF

Thanks Static!

I'll look into these. Is an MA1 necessary to run Neumann's room adjustment software? Would any measurement mic be compatible?
You don't NEED it but you need the serial number and MA1 uses the corresponding mic correction.
You could download that correction and compare to your measurement mic and put the difference in your goal curve ... it's a little complicated.
MA1 is not expensive when you hear the difference.

Just for testing the software you can use your ref mic and search for a serial number (you find pictures of these mics online).

IamJF

Why don't every brand has a simple solution for noons like me like GLM is beyond me
MA1 is really simple to use? Connect your mic, tell them which speaker sits at which position and put the mic on a few positions in the room. And you need a connection to your speakers, a switch and LAN cables is actually pretty simple cause you don't have to configure anything.

Where are your problems with that procedure? How could it be easier?
I would say Dirac is more complicated as MA1. Sonarworks is a little easier cause it tells you if the positioning is right.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
MA1 is really simple to use? Connect your mic, tell them which speaker sits at which position and put the mic on a few positions in the room. And you need a connection to your speakers, a switch and LAN cables is actually pretty simple cause you don't have to configure anything.

Where are your problems with that procedure? How could it be easier?
I would say Dirac is more complicated as MA1. Sonarworks is a little easier cause it tells you if the positioning is right.
Is like just to connect a mic , click a button and be done

IamJF

Is like just to connect a mic , click a button and be done
You can't have a proper calibration that way! You need more as one measurement point to do a room correction.
You need a data connection from your computer to your speaker when you want to store DSP date there. Easy with 2 speakers ... but when you get 13 all over the room a network connection is actually the easiest way.

Maybe talk to your dealer how much they would take to do the measurement part ... it's done in 30min.

Top Bottom