• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 369 89.8%

• Total voters

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Curious if anyone has had their KH 120 II power supply fail? One of my speakers would not power on today. Have tried swopping IEC cables to no avail and am wondering if anyone might have a potential solution?

Really hope I don't have to send them back to Thomann for warranty purposes since I live in Asia.
Just had the same happen with one of KH150 last week, replaced by thomann, it didn't even work for a month so we'll see when the other one will go

Filio45

Just had the same happen with one of KH150 last week, replaced by thomann, it didn't even work for a month so we'll see when the other one will go
Curious if anyone has had their KH 120 II power supply fail? One of my speakers would not power on today. Have tried swopping IEC cables to no avail and am wondering if anyone might have a potential solution?

Really hope I don't have to send them back to Thomann for warranty purposes since I live in Asia.

That's not good. How many months old are the affected speakers?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh dear.

Like we expect from Neumann, the speakers is very close to absolute perfection. It's not cheap for a small monitor, but at least it's worth the price. I would still rather have the KH150 altough i think as it does not need a sub, this one can use a sub, but is not bad without it. But we are nitpicking. This is a great overengineered speaker in the tradition of Klein & Hummel, the old legendaric brand that became Neumann speakers.
I'm sitting 11 to 12 feet from our television. We listen to music and watch movies in 2.0 and currently using Yamaha HS8. The Yamaha is great for movies, clear dialog and awesome impactful bass, as much as we need or want. But I'm looking to swap it for a Newmann so it will be better for music listening. Tempted to go with KH 150, but I wonder if the KH 120 II would work for less $$. ??

HQY

HQY

beingalink

Hi,

Instead of contacting the Neumann support, I registered to this forum – perhaps because I don't want to hear the truth but get some contradictory opinions which makes me feel "better". Anyway, I bought the MA1 for my pair of KH120 II (without sub) and followed the software guided process. The result is actually quite pleasing to me, but one thing keeps nagging me: The distance between the speakers and between each speaker and the predominant listening position isn't an equal-sided triangle. The distance from each speaker to the listening position (2,40m) is quite a bit longer than the distance between the speakers (1,20m). During the measurement process, the software asked for the side length of the triangle and I used the distance between speakers and listening position. As whatever measurement I could have given wouldn't lead to the optimum, I wanted to ask which measurement would lead to the "better" suboptimal situation: Using the distance between speakers and listening position (as I did) or using the distance between the speakers?

Thanks for your answers/opinions!

custom

Hi,

Instead of contacting the Neumann support, I registered to this forum – perhaps because I don't want to hear the truth but get some contradictory opinions which makes me feel "better". Anyway, I bought the MA1 for my pair of KH120 II (without sub) and followed the software guided process. The result is actually quite pleasing to me, but one thing keeps nagging me: The distance between the speakers and between each speaker and the predominant listening position isn't an equal-sided triangle. The distance from each speaker to the listening position (2,40m) is quite a bit longer than the distance between the speakers (1,20m). During the measurement process, the software asked for the side length of the triangle and I used the distance between speakers and listening position. As whatever measurement I could have given wouldn't lead to the optimum, I wanted to ask which measurement would lead to the "better" suboptimal situation: Using the distance between speakers and listening position (as I did) or using the distance between the speakers?

I think you did it right, as you used the distance between the speakers and the listening position. The MA 1 Software uses the distance to select the target curve.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I agree with @custom . Additionally, I think the distance is used not only for the target but also the recommend distance between measurement positions. The closer the speakers, the smaller the area.

beingalink

@custom and @DJBonoBobo, thank you for your input! This is quite reassuring and makes sense to me. I also had to cheat a little regarding the measurement position behind the central one, as it is quite close to a wall. There is no such thing as perfect anyway.

On a different matter, do I need a correction profile for the MA1 when I want to use it outside the Neumann universe? Like there is for the umik-1? Some say this is unnecessary in the grand scheme.

custom

@custom and @DJBonoBobo, thank you for your input! This is quite reassuring and makes sense to me. I also had to cheat a little regarding the measurement position behind the central one, as it is quite close to a wall. There is no such thing as perfect anyway.

On a different matter, do I need a correction profile for the MA1 when I want to use it outside the Neumann universe? Like there is for the umik-1? Some say this is unnecessary in the grand scheme.
Yes, you need an calibration file to use the MA 1 microphone with REW or other software. You can download it here: https://ma1.neumann.com/linearization

athlon7750

What speaker stands are you using for your desk setups? Currently, mine are resting on foam isolation pads, but I'm searching for a solution to raise them closer to ear level.

boxerfan88

Could you not send it to Sennheiser service center in your country? I thought Neumann warranty is global.

MotuM4

Could you not send it to Sennheiser service center in your country? I thought Neumann warranty is global.
That's what I did in the end. Just got an email yesterday from them to say the repair has been completed!

Edit: Picked them up and they replaced my faulty speaker with a new one. Probably a good thing I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom