• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
According to the specs KH120 II goes a little bit higher than KH150 which is somewhat weird considering the same tweeter.
How significant is that if at all?
Screenshot_20240125_111137_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240125_111149_Gallery.jpg

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has nothing to do with the tweeter, they run for sure way higher as that.
Deeper waveguide is an influence. Maybe little different A/D D/A Filter.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Yeah, I think I was typing as you were.

I'd probably just leave mine to auto shut-off or on constantly also. Don't get me wrong, there's no denying how great these things measure, but I do have concerns with the capacitor's used as they seem very bargain basement. If I buy a pair, once warranty is up I think I'd rip those out and use something a bit less questionable for sure. Only that's the main thing preventing many from powered speakers I think, the fact they could go wrong and be junked.
I don't remember where exactly, i'll let you search, but this capacitor polemic has been debunked at lenght by a Neumann engineer, it was a pretty neat explanation that convinced me back then, plenty stuff was said so i forgot most of the arguments but I remember understanding that quality control / component choices is a job in itself for a good reason.

Ze Frog

I don't remember where exactly, i'll let you search, but this capacitor polemic has been debunked at lenght by a Neumann engineer, it was a pretty neat explanation that convinced me back then, plenty stuff was said so i forgot most of the arguments but I remember understanding that quality control / component choices is a job in itself for a good reason.
Yeah, I'm sure they wouldn't use junk. It's just the not recognising the brand, but will research them.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, here:

sm5

Forum Donor
Got my new desk in and everything now setup exactly as I want it. The KH 150’s + 750’s are just out of this world.
Can you get your subs and KH150's to all be digitally connected and run MA-1? Mine seem to only calibrate analog (or Digital to the KH150's only or digital to the subs but analog from sub to KH150's)

EDIT: I pulled KH750 out of box and installed new firmware for KH150 and it works now! NICE!

Last edited:

IamJF

Can you get your subs and KH150's to all be digitally connected and run MA-1? Mine seem to only calibrate analog (or Digital to the KH150's only or digital to the subs but analog from sub to KH150's)
:oops: What's the problem with the setup? Should be of course possible!What does Neumann say to this?

IamJF

Impressive , but @ $7K it's not exactly cheap either .
Is there a 3-way at that price that is better than this setup ?
You could go with Neumann KH420ii when it's comming to the market ... but for SURE that's not cheaper ...
Genelec One's with woofer ... also not cheap.
Or just use KH120ii which schould be fine for these listening distances - also when you want to have a 2nd use of the system as hair dryer ... :p

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could go with Neumann KH420ii when it's comming to the market ... but for SURE that's not cheaper ...
Ideally a smaller KH420 with a top that fits on a desk and the woofers in separate cabinets to put on the ground for better bass performance. Doesn´t have to get as loud as the original KH420, because of the nearfield distance, but a bit cheaper, all digital and DSP would be nice. I wish they made something like this already!

sm5

Forum Donor
Setting the subs under the desk wasn't problematic ? Didn't add a specific mod ?

:oops: What's the problem with the setup? Should be of course possible!What does Neumann say to this?
I just pulled the KH750's outa the box - the issue was bugging me so much that I unhooked them a month or so ago and was thinking of selling one or both.

Installed the new firmware for the KH150's and digital inputs now work for calibration! Maybe someone from Neumann read my old post about it? Awesome!

I'm going Motu MK5 Spdif to Spdif on the TC Electronic BMC-2 controller to Spdif to both KH150's then KH750 and then BNC to BNC to 2nd Sub. (Tried just one sub and that's fine too)

With the sub on floor direct center of the KH150's it sounds pretty great without any weird stereo issues I had it to one side before I got the 2nd and it was uneven feeling in my room - why I got the 2nd sub. I could be fine with just one sub though.

They do sound better with the sub(s) - especially when loud but at the same time: I was admittedly fine with just the KH150's. KH80's were good too but definitely benefited from sub - I prefer KH150 without sub over KH80+sub though.

Last edited:

IamJF

Ideally a smaller KH420 with a top that fits on a desk and the woofers in separate cabinets to put on the ground for better bass performance. Doesn´t have to get as loud as the original KH420, because of the nearfield distance, but a bit cheaper, all digital and DSP would be nice. I wish they made something like this already!
You are describing the KH310 - which should also come in a ii version soon?
You can't separate the lf driver of a 3way cause crossover frequency is to high! KH120ii + woofer would be the closest thing to what you describe.

And I also prefer the sound of the KH120ii over the KH80 but must admitt I only did a quick comparison and without woofer or MA1 calibration. But I prefered the sound of the KH80 over the old KH120 when you can accept lower SPL and bass level.

dazzler9000

Hi all, I'm happy to say I have a pair of 150s and mic on order and will be delivered next Monday. I've been watching this thread for a long time, so super excited to get them.

I'm moving from a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTMs paired with my RME ADI-2 DAC.

I'm not that technical, so any advice on setting them up? Guessing they'll be the same as my MTMs and connected via balanced XLR. From memory, I seem to remember setting the volume control to max on the speakers and controlling the volume from my RME DAC. Will these be the same?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I'm happy to say I have a pair of 150s and mic on order and will be delivered next Monday. I've been watching this thread for a long time, so super excited to get them.

I'm moving from a pair of IK Multimedia iLoud MTMs paired with my RME ADI-2 DAC.

I'm not that technical, so any advice on setting them up? Guessing they'll be the same as my MTMs and connected via balanced XLR. From memory, I seem to remember setting the volume control to max on the speakers and controlling the volume from my RME DAC. Will these be the same?

That should work great the way you have it. The Neumann’s also have a SPDIF in, but I am not sure if there are any pops with sample rate changes.

Top Bottom