• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 120 II vs. KH 150

BjarniM

I am about to buy a pair of Neumann KH 120 II or KH 150 for my living room, mainly SACD and high-res streaming at moderate levels, which will be mounted on original wall mount brackets and measured with the MA 1 microphone in the listening position.

The listening distance: 3.5 meters between the monitors and 5.0 meters from the wall where the monitors will be to the listening position.

I know the measurements of the ‘listening triangle’ are not ideal, but this is how it has to be and this can not be changed.

I am aware of the KH 150’s 5 Hz lower range and 0.7 dB higher SPL. For my setup, these are subtle differences which I am in doubt about, whether the +70 percent higher cost of the KH 150 can be justified.

Can you share some thoughts about these possible setups in my living room?

And, also the differences between these two monitors in my living room?

Thanks.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the measurements of the ‘listening triangle’ are not ideal, but this is how it has to be and this can not be changed.
Tell me about it. :)

The KH150 has lower distortion at high SPL, since you're listening at 5m (probably a bit further away than they're designed for) I would go with the KH150 if it is not a fiscal hardship for you. I think either will sound pretty good (both have fairly ideal FR and dispersion) but I'm thinking that the better 96dB THD showing with the 150 is maybe worth paying attention to for your situation.

Oh, and welcome to ASR!

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I had the KH120 II's and can say that at 5m you will definitely be at the limit of what they offer. My listening position was at about 4m and while they definitely can sound louder than you'd expect, at that distance I'd definitely go for the 150's. You can probably find them on the used market for signficantly cheaper.. otherwise I'd buy the 120II's from a place that will accept returns just to demo them.

boxerfan88

Do check the manual for the designed working distance. I suspect for your 5m use case, the KH150 would likely be the better fit.

Top Bottom