• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some people insist on using a digital interface to connect the KH 150 compared to an analog interface. Is there a difference in audibility?

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't test with the KH150 but with my Hypex DSP modules and RME interface and I belive there is a little difference. So I would recommend to do so.

The nice thing is you could use a pretty cheap interface when you are on the go and just use the digital output. No extra conversion steps.

muchacho

Hello, I have a question. Does the MA1 program update to v2.2.1 automatically in the program, or does it have to be manually downloaded from the Neumann site and forcefully reinstall v2.1.1.800 to the new version? It was on v2.1.1.800 that the program offered me an update, but not on v2.2.1.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Some people insist on using a digital interface to connect the KH 150 compared to an analog interface. Is there a difference in audibility?
This topic on the KH150 has been covered on this site, the problem is i don't remember where, use the search. The answer might be different of what you expect, because implementation is key on these subjects, answer will vary depending on the specific gear used, in that specific case you have to keep in mind that your digital signal will be downgraded to 48kHz if higher. I didn't use both (I only use analog, which sounds great to me) but some people who actually did have claimed they were surprised to like the analog input better however counterintuitive it might sound.

Last edited:

SEEDSTAR

So after reading every stitch of info I could about the KH150 vs other monitors I was interested in (Hedd 07, APS Klasik 2020, PMC Result 6, Gen 8341, ATC SCM12/20, Amhion One15, PSI A17m etc etc), I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of KH150 in white, lightly used for £1,900 (for the pair). They arrive today, can't wait!

I then read on this thread that a few early adopters on here had issues with 'crackling' sounds from one speaker - and all I could find is that they logged tech support tickets.

Anyone care to expand on that - did any problems with specific serial numbers etc etc arise? Firmware issues? Anything?

Also - anyone on here preferring SPDIF connection over XLR sound quality wise?

SEEDSTAR

Have had these for about three weeks replacing yamaha hs8. To me there's an incredible improvement with many sound details/instruments being way more audible than on the hs8. Strings particularly sound absolutely beautiful, didn't think a flatter frequency would affect it so much but there it is. I feel like I can work with string samples and sounds way longer before getting annoyed than with hs8. I expect MA1 to do magic once that arrives. Though like half the reason for ditching the hs8 was their self generated noise and prone to interference noise all being too loud.

The kh150 were completely silent which was such a relief, and instruments fading into pure silence was absolute bliss, until unfortunately one of the monitors started to emit a faint fizzling or crackling sound from the tweeter heard up to 1.5m in silence, while the other monitor is still silent. Has anybody else had this with a neumann monitor and should I just get a replacement? I've tried all the typical stuff of swapping and removing cables etc it happens when it's connected to any socket. Sometimes it disappears for a while and comes back later. Tried moving all the rear switches.
Additionally, something my hs8 never did, both the neumann monitors will a few times over the day randomly emit a popping or crackling sound. Thinking it was in the music I played it back and it did not repeat. Only one monitor does it at a time.
did this go anywhere - did you have to return the speaker? (oh its a deleted account....)

SEEDSTAR

Well, all I can say is that Neumann response was quick. @schallmauer contacted me over PM and asked for the KH150 serial number so they could get it back from Sweetwater to their facilities in Germany for testing. Did they get the defective KH150 from Sweetwater for testing? I have no idea but at least they showed interest in finding the root of the crackling noise issue.
did you end up finding out more about the source of the problem?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
did you end up finding out more about the source of the problem?
No I did not. Replacement speaker have been working without any issues since I got it about 16 months ago. Most likely was a software/firmware glitch.

Kisscool

Hi, I'm hesitating between this one and the Genelec 8350, the price difference is significant, are the 8350s worth it?

Translated by moderator. Please post in English going forward. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arnas

Hi, I'm hesitating between this one and the Genelec 8350, the price difference is significant, are the 8350s worth it?

Gen's for me because Glm is such a great software + Sub integration is flawless + Aluminum enclosure.
Imaging should better on Neumann though

Arnas

I think big midbass driver and tweeter integration is worse than smaller midbass + tweeter integration when it comes to imaging...
Im not super technical, but from what i have seen smaller midbass drivers + tweeter have more focused and sharper imaging.
Non issue from 2m i imagine, but nearfield i believe Neumann might have slight edge.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Soundandrecording has measured both with comparable methods. You may auto translate and compare both reviews.

Look like more similarities than differences. Someone really should do a proper review of these two after calibration with MA1/GLM.

dazzler9000

Have many on this thread gone from stand-alone KH150s and then added the KH750 sub? Can you please share your thoughts?

If I'm honest, I'm perfectly happy with the bass output of the 150s but was curious to know how much the sub adds. If it's very little, I'll more than likely pass. I'm kind of hoping it is as I don't like the thought of doing room calibration again.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have many on this thread gone from stand-alone KH150s and then added the KH750 sub? Can you please share your thoughts?

If I'm honest, I'm perfectly happy with the bass output of the 150s but was curious to know how much the sub adds. If it's very little, I'll more than likely pass. I'm kind of hoping it is as I don't like the thought of doing room calibration again.
It depends very much on your room. In a lot of smaller rooms there is a more or less severe dip around 70-100Hz. This area is pretty important ("kick") and a sub may help to fill this. If your bass is pretty smooth from the lowest frequency of the 150 upwards, a sub is much less relevant (depends on the music you are listening).

dazzler9000

It depends very much on your room. In a lot of smaller rooms there is a more or less severe dip around 70-100Hz. This area is pretty important ("kick") and a sub may help to fill this. If your bass is pretty smooth from the lowest frequency of the 150 upwards, a sub is much less relevant (depends on the music you are listening).
Thanks DJ, I have no idea if my room is lacking in that frequency range. One thing I did notice the other day actually was that if I sit back on the sofa which is just over 1 meters further back from where my office chair listening position is, the bass seems much more prominent. I did wonder if this is because I lied when room calibrating the system. I have a 49inch monitor on my desk and my listening position isn't 49 inches back from my speakers, so had to bring that distance in a bit (seemed a bit inflexible due to equilateral triangle requirement). Either way, they still sound great, it was just an observation.

I probably won't bother as I expect the gains will be very small in comparison to the additional cost. The 150s certainly don't lack bass on their own.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks DJ, I have no idea if my room is lacking in that frequency range. One thing I did notice the other day actually was that if I sit back on the sofa which is just over 1 meters further back from where my office chair listening position is, the bass seems much more prominent. I did wonder if this is because I lied when room calibrating the system. I have a 49inch monitor on my desk and my listening position isn't 49 inches back from my speakers, so had to bring that distance in a bit (seemed a bit inflexible due to equilateral triangle requirement). Either way, they still sound great, it was just an observation.

I probably won't bother as I expect the gains will be very small in comparison to the additional cost. The 150s certainly don't lack bass on their own.
Having different bass levels depending on the listening position in the room is perfectly normal because of room modes. This is why the measurement mic has to be where you are typically listening, so it can adjust the speakers for that position in the room. If you use the MA1, you can make two sets of measurements and alignments (chair and sofa), if you want.

Berlin

I added the KH750 later to my KH150s. I do not think that it makes a noticeable improvement to my system...

Top Bottom