• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 149 70.3%

• Total voters

rybking

Hi! Could anyone please advise a similar device but without a level meter? I just need a reliable speaker switcher with a remote control to compare some gear.
Tried to find something on Amazon, but can't be sure if it doesn't affect signal :(

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You all bunch of noobs, if you really want to VU-meter your system, don't waste your time in minimalist decoration and go the @dualazmak way

View attachment 334415

PS: which also shows that in a multichannel system it can be even useful

Haha! :p @dualazmak you are awesome!
Hello @MCH and @Holdt,
Thank you for your kind reference to my efforts and enjoyment regarding the DIY-ed 12-VU-Meter Array of IEC 60268-17 compatibility.
The glass face size of the IEC 60268-17 compatible VU meter, NISHIZAWA R-65, I use in the 12-VU-Meter Array is W100 mm x H41 mm, which is larger than 80 x 45 mm of NEOHIPO ET30 VU and 60 x 35 mm of Duok VU3.

Hello @amirm,
Thank you indeed for your wonderful review on NEOHIPO ET30; I still do not know the face of ET30 VU meter is glass or acrylic plastic, would you kindly let us know which?

So beautiful!

Looks really big VU meters. And there is no any impact on the setups.
Hello @Kimbrough Xu,
If you are kindly referring to my DIY-ed 12-VU-Meter Array, I thank you for your message. NISHIZAWA R-65 is really nice true-glass-face large (W111 mm x H77 mm) VU meter with very beautiful and uniform warm 2700K LED lighting/illumination.

And, yes, "there is no any impact on the setups" which is/was one of the important and critical conditions in my DIY design of the 12-VU-Meter Array as I intensively shared here.

Last edited:

OldTimer

CMB

I am a little bit confused here about human rationality too .
Does music sound better with VU-meters?

Everyone here so far seems happy to spend USD 160 + for 2 dancing needles in front of an colored light. How rational or objective is that?
What is the benefit? Besides a feedback on output, which I guess you could have much cheaper.

I’ll light a xmas candle instead (I know i am cheap).

Enjoy and have fun anyway,

D

Deleted member 48726

I am a little bit confused here about human rationality too .

Everyone here so far seems happy to spend USD 160 + for 2 dancing needles in front of an colored light. How rational or objective is that?
What is the benefit? Besides a feedback on output, which I guess you could have much cheaper.

I’ll light a xmas candle instead (I know i am cheap).

Enjoy and have fun anyway,

I like VU meters. Otherwise it's just my toes that're moving and that's rarely in tune with the music.

olieb

Well "hearing" is complicated. The psychoacoustic enjoyment certainly can be improved by VU-meters or a pair of felt slippers in December or a high price badge on the amp for some people respectively. Take your pick.
The sound will not be different of course.

Reactions: CMB

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
VU Meters is a bit of a meme here and just about everywhere

$160 for this is kind of... up there?

ok you can switch speakers but a simple switchbox is a cheap item in reality

BUT VU meters cost money to make if they are good... the motor assm. and calibration on good ones... the lighting, the bouncing logic, the GLASS.... never underestimate the cost of a good sheet of clear glass.

just ask McIntosh

i admit my main amp has VU meters and its one of those almost mandatory items for a high end piece (according to me, not to anyone with any sense)

i play some music, like to see the bounce

AaronJ

I’m very happy to be seeing these types of products reviewed here. Thanks for taking the time for them.

How long until Cheapaudioman adds an affiliate link for this?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
So the Mic on the front is a light which when on means the microphone in the back is driving the display levels rather than line levels on the speakers. So an SPL driven mode apparently. You could use that and not even connect it to anything else I suppose.

so we can use that input and have a SINAD of ∞

Reactions: CMB

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have mA meters on my SET amplifiers that display the quiescent current. This allows me to see whether the output tube is in a reasonable operating state. That gives me a good feeling. I no longer need fidgety VU meters. They used to be necessary when I was still making tape recordings.

meter.jpg

a700-1136.jpg

Last edited:

rolfrander

Forum Donor
Do I understand it correctly - can this device be used for connecting two different amplifiers to the same speakers?
yes, or to different speakers to the same amplifier, or to sets of speakers to two different amps. The point would be to easily compare different setups or to have different setups based on program material. Compared to simpler implementations of the same idea, this one has a remote control, which is nice. The VU-meter is just for show and nostalgia.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom