• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not a scoop if I don’t value what he says and don’t watch it
If a dark video falls in a forest of YouTube videos and nobody see or hears it, does I exist?
I look forward to @Kal Rubinson review, however.

I thought it was a decent overview of the features.

I got value out of watching it.

asruser2020

Not a scoop if I don’t value what he says and don’t watch it
If a dark video falls in a forest of YouTube videos and nobody see or hears it, does I exist?
I look forward to @Kal Rubinson review, however.

John Darko is a respected audio reviewer and gets lots of views of his work. He is also a member of EISA.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
One thing I didn't expect:

He says all the RIAA EQ is applied in the analog domain.

If true, I'm surprised, given how easy it is to do RIAA via DSP.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
John Darko is a respected audio reviewer...

Not by anyone with any familiarity with sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing.

asruser2020

Not by anyone with any familiarity with sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing.

Let me know which of those folks (1) has reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and (2) is a member of EISA.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It would be nice if this thread could stay on topic about the product in question and not get into yet another pissing match about subjectivist reviewers....

If you want to complain about Darko, there is a whole thread for that already.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Are you a dual mono purist? Right down to the paired AC power cords?

Me, dual amplification mono is two, preferably mirror imaged, separated with no common parts other than the case, the power switch and maybe a single power cord. Even a dual (L/R) tapped main transformer is very much borderline disqualification.
Have you ever had occasion to look at or work on a NAD M3 integrated? I own one and really enjoy it, but I have always been curious what a technician thinks of it. I think it was a pretty solid statement piece at the time and didn't try to be full of bells and whistles. Just on the off-chance that you have crossed paths with one. Cheers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always been curious what a technician thinks of it.
It looks good.
nad-masters-series-m3-dual-mono-integrated-amplifier.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
lol... 21.4 pounds (9.7kg) versus 51.8 pounds(23.5kg)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It is hefty for sure, but in a good way. I like to tell the story of when I met two really interesting audio/electrical engineers. One morning sitting in a little coffee shop and at the table beside me I hear two gentlemen talking audio, and clearly they were pretty advanced in their knowledge. I politely chimed in and struck up a great conversation. One of the men had just returned from living in China where he was in charge of overseeing the technical aspects of a factory producing Bose equipment. The other gentleman I learned was a circuit engineer who had designed quite a bit for many very well known companies, but his passion was power supplies and their role in high quality amplifiers for audio.

We talked about what really was important and one thing that I said was that from years of reading about what mattered I had come to the conclusion that a robust power supply was crucial to the success of any amplifier. They both agreed and the gentleman who designed power supplies was as you would expect quite knowledgeable and rather passionate about them. I left that day feeling that with any amp that I ever bought I would always make sure to also pay as much attention to the power supply system as I did to any of the other technical appointments of the device which brings me back to the NAD M3 as I believe that it has a solid power supply topology.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Pretty sure that I bought my M3 from a CAM ad. Trying to remember, but very, very likely. I just remember how hard I worked to get it and the deal almost fell through as the seller didn't understand english very well and he misunderstood one of my messages, thought I was suggesting he send it without full payment and he promptly said forget it, I don't do business like that. Desperate I called him up and explained my case to him and lucky for me I won his confidence and he sold it to me. It was absolutely pristine, full retail packaging, everything as new, just mint as mint could ever be. I think I paid $2000 Canadian which in my mind for the M3 was stellar. For a time I had the M51 DAC with it, but eventually moved past it despite very much liking it (I know that it had a mixed review here). Anyway, yes, as far as I can tell, it is a very well engineered device and some measurements seem to suggest that it lives up to the marketing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure that I bought my M3 from a CAM ad. Trying to remember, but very, very likely. I just remember how hard I worked to get it and the deal almost fell through as the seller didn't understand english very well and he misunderstood one of my messages, thought I was suggesting he send it without full payment and he promptly said forget it, I don't do business like that. Desperate I called him up and explained my case to him and lucky for me I won his confidence and he sold it to me. It was absolutely pristine, full retail packaging, everything as new, just mint as mint could ever be. I think I paid $2000 Canadian which in my mind for the M3 was stellar. For a time I had the M51 DAC with it, but eventually moved past it despite very much liking it (I know that it had a mixed review here). Anyway, yes, as far as I can tell, it is a very well engineered device and some measurements seem to suggest that it lives up to the marketing.
I try and get the box and packing with anything used that I buy too. I have a stack of empty boxes for stuff I bought for whenever I might need them. It's just better. :D It is a modern day beast amp for sure. Combined SMD PCBs with thru hole for the amp stages. Nice layout, great components in the power supply. It's a keeper.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I try and get the box and packing with anything used that I buy too. I have a stack of empty boxes for stuff I bought for whenever I might need them. It's just better. :D It is a modern day beast amp for sure. Combined SMD PCBs with thru hole for the amp stages. Nice layout, great components in the power supply. It's a keeper.
Thanks mate! That makes me feel really good. I had enjoyed some older NAD components before and when I saw the M3 come up for sale I just knew that I had to do what I could to get it. I have treated it like gold and I am very happy with it. When I say pristine and mint I mean it. Even the original outer NAD packing box came with it and the Master Series accessory box as well with the mini remote. I remember reading several reviews of the M3 and a great deal of the reviews were focused on the excellent and common sense engineering of the M3 as opposed to waxing poetically about the sound, although the subjective reactions to the M3 were also quite favourable. Thanks for adding a data point to my ongoing research, and I do intend to keep it. Perhaps one day I will splurge on a new Anthem integrated, but no rush as I feel very good with the M3.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Here were some basic measurements, but they seem to confirm that the fundamentals of good power delivery were addressed.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...mplifiers/nad-m3-integrated-stereo-amplifier/

Sorry to OT the thread, but NAD has had some recent poor results here so I did want to show people that NAD has in the past, and I am sure is still capable of producing excellent devices.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It's better than people fighting about Darko. ;)
Not much isn't I figure. For what it is worth on that front, I have read and enjoyed some of his work as well and I try to integrate and make sense of the many and varied communities, personalities, and points of view that make up the audioverse. They all have strengths and weaknesses and I trust in my ability to hear the signal through the noise so even Darko gets some of my time, but as with everything in life, there are limits to how much importance I place on any one source of information. I greatly value this community and even over at head-fi, there are many knowledgeable and passionate members who I have grown to respect and trust.

I always try to keep an open mind and never dismiss something outright or on principle alone.

Top Bottom