• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stick or twist - NAD M33/Linn Selekt DSM

frenzy382

Hi everyone,

Talk about a 1st world problem....

I currently have a NAD M33 and have enjoyed it so far...my plan is (was) at some point to get the NAD M23 power amp and hook the two up.

Yesterday, I was given a pretty good deal on a Linn Select DSM (Katalyst DAC) with power out/amp cartridge...
Admittedly, I get suckered into the 'Linn' brand and thought this would be a good deal, sell the NAD, stump up a little bit more cash and buy the Linn. I then started to do some research and maths and now i'm 'not so sure'...hence i thought i'd see what folks here think.

So..my current thinking is (after research)...the Selekt has been out a while, i've even read posts (not sure here or elsewhere) that it's kinda archaic now...I'm not convinced on the space optimisation approach as I have done well with the NAD Dirac setup (why change a good thing). NAD M33 has good reviews, or rather the whole purifi/eigentakt amplifier...
However, for future upgrades, Linn could actually work out cheaper. If i want to add another amp, it's considerably cheaper than a NAD power amp, same with surround sound capability etc.
I'm not an audiophile per se...so, would i really be able to tell the quality difference between the two, plus the hassle of configuring space optimisation (which the dealer even admitted it's a slog). The dealer even said that the surround sound option isn't really worth doing...

My sensible head says..stick.

Any thoughts?

rthorntn

You've listened to your music through the Linn?

If I was spending serious amounts of money I'd be doing an A/B comparison at home. Linn dealers used to have no problem with letting people do that?

OP
F

frenzy382

You've listened to your music through the Linn?

If I was spending serious amounts of money I'd be doing an A/B comparison at home. Linn dealers used to have no problem with letting people do that?
Hi,

thanks for the reply. No...haven't had the chance yet, and is something that i was considering of organising.
All the reviews i've read of the Selekt are pretty old now, and the world has moved on...so I'm intrigued to know how the Selekt compares with similar devices out now..rather than back in 2018/19.
However, Linn still produce the Selekt, still support it and people buy it...so, that says something.

Like you say...probably best to actually try the thing myself and draw conclusions.

thnx

rthorntn

I have a Sneaky, must be 15 years old now, it still sounds great, nice audio gear is timeless, I'll never forget the Sondek.

fcracer

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

Talk about a 1st world problem....

I currently have a NAD M33 and have enjoyed it so far...my plan is (was) at some point to get the NAD M23 power amp and hook the two up.

Yesterday, I was given a pretty good deal on a Linn Select DSM (Katalyst DAC) with power out/amp cartridge...
Admittedly, I get suckered into the 'Linn' brand and thought this would be a good deal, sell the NAD, stump up a little bit more cash and buy the Linn. I then started to do some research and maths and now i'm 'not so sure'...hence i thought i'd see what folks here think.

So..my current thinking is (after research)...the Selekt has been out a while, i've even read posts (not sure here or elsewhere) that it's kinda archaic now...I'm not convinced on the space optimisation approach as I have done well with the NAD Dirac setup (why change a good thing). NAD M33 has good reviews, or rather the whole purifi/eigentakt amplifier...
However, for future upgrades, Linn could actually work out cheaper. If i want to add another amp, it's considerably cheaper than a NAD power amp, same with surround sound capability etc.
I'm not an audiophile per se...so, would i really be able to tell the quality difference between the two, plus the hassle of configuring space optimisation (which the dealer even admitted it's a slog). The dealer even said that the surround sound option isn't really worth doing...

My sensible head says..stick.

Any thoughts?
Unless you have very inefficient speakers, the M33 should provide plenty of sound output to meet any home use needs. Are you absolutely sure you need more power?

Top Bottom