• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp or all in one to replace my Devialet 200

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Is there enough space for the NAD to cool itself?
Someone on this forum told me it would be OK as it did not get that hot, so I assume so. Post number 150

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone on this forum told me it would be OK as it did not get that hot, so I assume so. Post number 150
That looks well ventilated, compared to your compact space, is your shelf open at the back?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

That looks well ventilated, compared to your compact space, is your shelf open at the back?
It’s not open no, but it has a circular hole for cables etc.its about 6 inches in circumference .
I think there will be about 20mm gap at the top. I was thinking that if the unit doesn’t get hot then this would be enough

OP
Womaz

Womaz

I have measured my unit and if I went for the NAD there would be a 27mm gap between the top of my unit and the NAD.
This is why I asked about this earlier . I always assumed it was just class A amps that got hot. I was not aware it could be an issue with class D .

Tassin

It is indeed Class amps A that run hot due to their inefficiency. A well designed Class D amp won't run hot thanks to its +90% efficiency (less than 10% can be converted into heat. I recently measured the temperature of my Class D amplifier with a professional thermal camera and after a day's running, it showed 27.8 °C at the hottest part of the chassis.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

So maybe I need to reconsider a few things here. The combination of my limited space and needing a powerful amp means I am quite limited for choice.
I can look at having a reorganisation of my gear behind the cabinet doors. For eg the Nucleus could be removed and just sit on the floor behind the TV.

So an alternative might be replace the D200 with a Power Amp ( hidden in my unit) and a nice tidy streamer/DAC in my small space at the front.

MAB

Major Contributor
So maybe I need to reconsider a few things here. The combination of my limited space and needing a powerful amp means I am quite limited for choice.
I can look at having a reorganisation of my gear behind the cabinet doors. For eg the Nucleus could be removed and just sit on the floor behind the TV.

So an alternative might be replace the D200 with a Power Amp ( hidden in my unit) and a nice tidy streamer/DAC in my small space at the front.

And if you need to stream, a Wiim

OP
Womaz

Womaz

And if you need to stream, a Wiim
I think what I have to do is make a definite decision on which way I want to go, then look at the power amp options if I decide to go with the two box solution.
It sort of defeats my point though.
If I went streamer and power amp route I would want something with a bit of visual appeal for the streamer as it sits in front of me all day. Like the Eversolo option maybe.
Thanks for your post

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I think what I have to do is make a definite decision on which way I want to go, then look at the power amp options if I decide to go with the two box solution.
It sort of defeats my point though.
If I went streamer and power amp route I would want something with a bit of visual appeal for the streamer as it sits in front of me all day. Like the Eversolo option maybe.
Thanks for your post
I understand your predicament.
I was once interested in similar approach for our living room, I want clean installation but I also want DSP for subwoofer and room correction. I never got there, and use a MiniDSP + amp. The streaming never caught on with the family, my family has zero interest in streaming my curated collection of music!
In any case, good luck!

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Ok just an update for all who have contributed here.
I got the Eversolo DMP A6 to act as my streamer, so there was a reshuffle of where my components now sit. I did this for a couple of reasons , its visually appealing at the front of my system and it could be a long term replacement for my Roon Nucleus if I decide to abandon Roon.

I will probably sit for a while before making any more changes and the Devialet may still be replaced. However this thread has really made me think about my speakers.

SF Olympica 2
Sensitivity 88db
Normal Impedence 4 Ohms
Suggested amp Power 50 to 250 watts

I love them and they were a significant investment about 9 year ago, however when I retire I will treat myself to something as like a retirement gift and maybe the speakers will be changed.
Maybe Revel or KEF as they seem to be readily available in the UK.

The speakers and the room are what influences the sound the most and it makes sense to focus on a better speaker for my room if thats my aim.

However thats long term. Short term is maybe still get rid of the Devialet. I have now got the Eversolo at the front end so this opens up options for a replacement amp.
I have looked at a few of the options mentioned here but as I am in the UK I have focused on brands that I can get here. One of them is Nord Acoustics.

MY main issue is the lack of connectivity in some of these amps. I have an Ethernet cable , a streamer , and my TV optical cable going into the Devialet. The amps I have looked at seem to have very limited connectivity, some of them just speaker wires. Sorry if this is a bit basic but I sort of need more options than that.
The ethernet cable may not be a problem I guess ( I mean I have no idea why it is needed into the Devialet ) but i definitely need a streamer connected and also the TV in an ideal world.

Another big concern given the SF speakers amp recommendations, do I need to be careful about the Amp being too powerful for my speakers? I do play loud remember but not crazy loud, so am i worrying unnecessarly here?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Couldn’t all those connections go into the Eversolo?
Without wishing to disparage Nord I would go for one of the measured implementations of the Purifi modules.
Best,
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Couldn’t all those connections go into the Eversolo?
Without wishing to disparage Nord I would go for one of the measured implementations of the Purifi modules.
Best,
Keith
The TV ? OK yes it could I guess. However the Eversolo needs to connect to the amp too.
I am a novice at all of this and all of these amp modules are brand new to me . I only gave Nord as an example as it was mentioned on here as having the Hypex?? I mean its a long thread and I have read a lot lately :):)
I am welcome to suggestions that are available in the UK

A remote to turn the amp on is a MUST for me though as the amp is now tucked away

CapMan

Major Contributor

I put my devialets vertically on the wall behind the speakers to save space and ensure ventilation - there are OEM brackets, but you could make something to do the same

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would just take the XLR analogue ‘outs’ on the Eversolo into the power amp, I use optical for the TV, USB from my Nucleus then XLR analogue outs into my active speakers.
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

I put my devialets vertically on the wall behind the speakers to save space and ensure ventilation - there are OEM brackets, but you could make something to do the same
Yes I know a few who do this, its not an option I want to explore though.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another big concern given the SF speakers amp recommendations, do I need to be careful about the Amp being too powerful for my speakers? I do play loud remember but not crazy loud, so am i worrying unnecessarly here?
Yes you are.

Top Bottom