• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here were some basic measurements, but they seem to confirm that the fundamentals of good power delivery were addressed.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...mplifiers/nad-m3-integrated-stereo-amplifier/

Sorry to OT the thread, but NAD has had some recent poor results here so I did want to show people that NAD has in the past, and I am sure is still capable of producing excellent devices.
Hmmz.. It takes awhile to read the various reviews and go through the measurements and descriptions but I finished. It has some pretty cool features. The illuminated metal finished remotes are ace, the pre section is ace, the amp section is ace and the tone controls tied in with the volume control position is another neat feature that I like. I use tone and EQ all the time so those are good. The power output dynamics and RMS are great too. It's a neat piece of gear.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Hmmz.. It takes awhile to read the various reviews and go through the measurements and descriptions but I finished. It has some pretty cool features. The illuminated metal finished remotes are ace, the pre section is ace, the amp section is ace and the tone controls tied in with the volume control position is another neat feature that I like. I use tone and EQ all the time so those are good. The power output dynamics and RMS are great too. It's a neat piece of gear.
Sweet, really nice to hear. I see that you are also in Canada. My M3 came to me from Toronto and has found a home in Ottawa.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
What speakers are you driving with your M3?
Monitor Audio PL200 and a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro. I use the built in highpass filter of the M3 at 40Hz for the mains and cross the subs at 60Hz. Not sure if it will stay that way, but so far so good.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Monitor Audio PL200 and a pair of SVS SB2000 Pro. I use the built in highpass filter of the M3 at 40Hz for the mains and cross the subs at 60Hz. Not sure if it will stay that way, but so far so good.
That's a nice match for your NAD M3. I like the smartphone app for the sub; can tweak away from the seating position.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That's a nice match for your NAD M3. I like the smartphone app for the sub; can tweak away from the seating position.
Absolutely, I am loving the combination for sure. Both the PL200s and the SVS are new to me. Prior to them I had stand mounted KEF R300s supported by two diminutive REL T Zero subs. They were also quite nice, but I wanted to return to floorstanders and my love of electronic and ambient music has renewed my belief in scale of sound being somewhat benefitted by larger air displacing speakers. The SVS app is very useful for sure and when I sought advice their technical support was excellent. Zero regrets with either speaker move.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, I am loving the combination for sure. Both the PL200s and the SVS are new to me. Prior to them I had stand mounted KEF R300s supported by two diminutive REL T Zero subs. They were also quite nice, but I wanted to return to floorstanders and my love of electronic and ambient music has renewed my belief in scale of sound being somewhat benefitted by larger air displacing speakers. The SVS app is very useful for sure and when I sought advice their technical support was excellent. Zero regrets with either speaker move.
Yeah, I like speakers that can move more air too. It's more dynamic I think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha, so headphones is your audio game at this point unless I am misunderstanding you there. I have owned quite a few headphones these last five or so years including the HD800S/700/650/600. I have heard the HD820 driven from the speaker tap off my M3.
Great. What was your impression of the HD820?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Great. What was your impression of the HD820?
If I'm to be honest, it didn't work for me at all. The fit was terrible. I was actually selling it for a friend (used CAM of course) and he couldn't get it to fit either. All of the other HD series fit me perfectly, no issues, the 820, would not seal at all, I had to hold the cups with my hands to get a seal, and even then I just felt that the bass impact was not where it should be.

Saying that, some love the 820 and if you can buy and return them that would be great. I expected to like them quite a bit, but I just couldn't gel with them. With closed backs, and in general, I do these days prefer a little warmth so the Sony Z1R was a headphone that I owned and loved, but despite this I really liked the HD800S which again was driven from my M3 or a La Figaro 339 with top tier tubes. The tube route adds some of that pleasant harmonic distortion, but I was just as happy via the M3, probably happier actually.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The fit was terrible. I was actually selling it for a friend (used CAM of course) and he couldn't get it to fit either. All of the other HD series fit me perfectly, no issues, the 820, would not seal at all, I had to hold the cups with my hands to get a seal, and even then I just felt that the bass impact was not where it should be.
I read that before too. Somebody was saying the clamp pressure is too light. I don't have to have those it's really just a target/goal. Lots of headphones available in the upper price range.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I read that before too. Somebody was saying the clamp pressure is too light. I don't have to have those it's really just a target/goal. Lots of headphones available in the upper price range.
Indeed. We can always PM each other or even talk about this over the phone if you want. I'm cognizant that we might be taking the thread really OT. I have tons of headphone experience so if you want to talk headphones I am always game. Speakers are my first love, but I also very much enjoy what headphones have to offer.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. We can always PM each other or even talk about this over the phone if you want. I'm cognizant that we might be taking the thread really OT. I have tons of headphone experience so if you want to talk headphones I am always game. Speakers are my first love, but I also very much enjoy what headphones have to offer.
Yeah, maybe some day. I'm sure I can think up some headphones questions. :D

asruser2020

Not by anyone with any familiarity with sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing.

Let me know which of those folks (1) has reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and (2) is a member of EISA.

@SIY You haven't answered my question. Among the folks that you know with familiarity in sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing, which ones have reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and are a member of EISA?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@SIY You haven't answered my question. Among the folks that you know with familiarity in sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing, which ones have reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and are a member of EISA?

Stop.

If you want to have an argument about Darko, go to the Darko thread

You're completely off topic.

asruser2020

I don't know what "the Darko thread" is. Furthermore, I'm not having an argument about Darko. I don't know him at all. I'm asking the other gentleman @SIY which folks he know with familiarity in sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing have reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and are a member of EISA.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't know what "the Darko thread" is. Furthermore, I'm not having an argument about Darko. I don't know him at all. I'm asking the other gentleman @SIY which folks he know with familiarity in sensory science, electronics, acoustics, and signal processing have reviewed 100+ products over the last 5 years and are a member of EISA.

Regardless, your argument with @SIY has nothing to do with the product in question.

This thread is about the NAD M33, not about who or who isn't in EISA.

Top Bottom