• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp or all in one to replace my Devialet 200

CapMan

Major Contributor
Ok it gets a bit more confusing for me
When chatting to a dealer last week when discussing a LINN Selekt DSM he didn’t seem to like the Nucleus
He suggested a Melco switch to reduce the noise and other stuff? I priced it , 2k for the switch so that’s not happening

So I guess I am getting confused about what the nucleus would actuality do in my system if I replace the D200. I know at present the nucleus is both my roon core and my streamer .

if I was to go the linn or NAD route then the DSM or M33 would be my streamer . The nucleus would be kept as my core and also because it had my FLAC files on the hard drive .

How would the Nucleus still create noise in my system ?
Nucleus is the Roon proprietary Roon server. It’s nothing more than a fanless mini PC that runs the Roon operating system and acts as a Music Server if you attach storage with your ripped
Music on it.

I built mine with an Intel NUC using Roons instructions and their Amazon links . Took less than 30 mins and cost maybe £500. The nucleus is a pre-built version of it.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Well I spoke to a dealer today about buying a NAD M33 to replace my D200 and he was very honest, He did not say i would be mad, but I could hear that message in his voice :)
He said he would be very surprised if I would be happy replacing my D200 with the NAD M33.
Food for thought.

kma100

Forum Donor
Sometimes it's hard not to get cynical about some dealers. There are good ones, but plenty who play loose with the facts. Especially the cable merchants...

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I spoke to a dealer today about buying a NAD M33 to replace my D200 and he was very honest, He did not say i would be mad, but I could hear that message in his voice :)
He said he would be very surprised if I would be happy replacing my D200 with the NAD M33.
Food for thought.
I doubt you could tell any difference sound wise. Maybe he was trying to save you some money leaving aside his silly notion of an expensive switch. NAD has Dirac but I'm not sure how much that would do that REW created filters loaded into Roon wouldn't do. Does he sell NAD or is he pushing whatever he does sell?

pogo

Major Contributor
The M33 and the Devialet won't sound much different to you either. The M33 makes the step forward thanks to Dirac Live.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

I doubt you could tell any difference sound wise. Maybe he was trying to save you some money leaving aside his silly notion of an expensive switch. NAD has Dirac but I'm not sure how much that would do that REW created filters loaded into Roon wouldn't do. Does he sell NAD or is he pushing whatever he does sell?
It was a different dealer . Yes he stocks the NAD so I admire his honesty

OP
Womaz

Womaz

So it is the weekend and time for me to gather my thoughts :)

I have learnt so much from this thread and thats excatly why i started browsing this forum years ago as I am intrigued by the beleifs on here that go against most of ehat I have read in magazines and reviews over the years. So a big thank you to all of you who have contributed. I am not sure I am any further forward but I am definitely more informed.

I have learned that my speakers are fairly hard to drive and that they need a powerful amp to drive them properly, so in a way my speaker choice has limited my choice of amps.
The Devialet does a great job ......but yes thats maybe becasue I dont know any different as its the only amp I have ever paired them with.
In Amirs review of the D200 and in stereophile I think it was they did mention something about high frquencies

index.php

Could this be the reason why occasionaly when i crank the volume up the music can get a bit bright ? If so would the NAD not handle this better?
If i am totally barking up the wrong tree, then hey let me know.

Maybe you can understand why for someone like me who has always read magazine reviews and has always craved the step up to the next level of kit can get very confused about all of this. Even on this thread there are a few contradictions , some saying all amps sound the same clearly think that they dont.
Like I say I have always read reviews, forums etc and made decisons about purchases after doiny my own research. My last two big buys the Devialet and Speakers were made after home demos.
I may have spent a LOT more than i needed to but that does not really bother me if I am honest as owning something nice does appeal to me in some cases, but I want to make better more informed decisions in the future.

So getting back to the NAD M33 v my Devialet 200. Most on here think the NAD would be a suitable replacement, although most seem to think I dont need to change.
Most on here think I would hear no difference in the sound. Honest I would love to make that leapof faith , but I admit to finding it hard to do. Although I still may.
Then I throw in the dealer who could sell me the NAD, hey profit for him, but he literally told me my Devialet was a much better amp and that I would be taking a backward step. I mean he talked me out of what was a pretty certain sale at this point. Why?
You can see how for people like me this can be very very confusing.
I dont need the NAD to be better, I just need it to be no worse than what I have and a good match for my speakers. DIRAC is also an added benefit.

So those are my thoughts right now, still pondering

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is quite tricky to determine if your amp is powerful enough, the only way is to compare to a really capable amp,

Keith

CapMan

Major Contributor
Without wishing to confuse more , if you like the Devialet’s feature set, the other option I guess is to configure its pre outs and buy a chunky core/hypex power amp and use it as a pre/streamer.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Without wishing to confuse more , if you like the Devialet’s feature set, the other option I guess is to configure its pre outs and buy a chunky core/hypex power amp and use it as a pre/streamer.
I have the original D200 I did not upgrade to the PRO so it is not a streamer I am afraid
I am also wanting to move away from Devialet if possible. Or maybe not as the case maybe :)
Just to add I am also reluctant to add to the box count

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have the original D200 I did not upgrade to the PRO so it is not a streamer I am afraid
I am also wanting to move away from Devialet if possible. Or maybe not as the case maybe :)
Just to add I am also reluctant to add to the box count
Fair point and I totally understand not wanting boxes and cables. My 440 Expert has been downsized to a Denon X4800 AVR and I’m damned if I can hear any difference !

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Fair point and I totally understand not wanting boxes and cables. My 440 Expert has been downsized to a Denon X4800 AVR and I’m damned if I can hear any difference !
And I think thats the leap of faith I need to make

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I throw in the dealer who could sell me the NAD, hey profit for him, but he literally told me my Devialet was a much better amp and that I would be taking a backward step. I mean he talked me out of what was a pretty certain sale at this point. Why?
Did he say in what way the Devialet was "better"? Seems odd.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Did he say in what way the Devialet was "better"? Seems odd.
No he didn’t , he just said it would not sound as good , and hinted strongly that it would be a backward step.
I was just about to pull the trigger :)

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Can anyone clarify this for me
I think I asked in one of my earlier responses but yeah there have been a lot.
‘The speaker that wemt down to 2 ohms was not mine . It was the olympica 5.
Mine are the Olympica 2 which go down to 3.5 ohms according to the review . What does this mean in theory as I could be placing far too much emphasis on needing a very powerful amp ……if that makes sense

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No he didn’t , he just said it would not sound as good , and hinted strongly that it would be a backward step.
I was just about to pull the trigger :)
Probably didn't have one IMHO. I don't ask dealers questions other than price, tho.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone clarify this for me
I think I asked in one of my earlier responses but yeah there have been a lot.
‘The speaker that wemt down to 2 ohms was not mine . It was the olympica 5.
Mine are the Olympica 2 which go down to 3.5 ohms according to the review . What does this mean in theory as I could be placing far too much emphasis on needing a very powerful amp ……if that makes sense
I'd rather see the impedance plot from a measurement, but it would be a lesser demand than 2 ohm....

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Probably didn't have one IMHO. I don't ask dealers questions other than price, tho.
Well I may test him as I am considering just going for it anyway…….however as you can see I rarely rush into things :)

Top Bottom