• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octavio Stream - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just select the appropriate test in the REW generator without playing it in the REW. This way REW knows which multitone I use and returns correct distortions measurements.
Should be way easier that way, indeed ! :p Which version are you using ? I'm running the prebuilt 5.20.14 and I had to play the tone to get REW RTA recognising it.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Not sure if I understand you correctly. I've tested many where I use the toslink to synch the clocks and get 0 ppm.
I can get 0 ppm only when I play and capture in the REW, ie. over usb. I never get 0 ppm when I play directly on the streamer which is connected to the capturing device via any spdif connection.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can get 0 ppm only when I play and capture in the REW, ie. over usb. I never get 0 ppm when I play directly on the streamer which is connected to the capturing device via any spdif connection.
Where are you clocking the receiving device? Internal, or external? If it can clock externally, letting it clock to the SPDIF signal will give you 0 ppm.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Where are you clocking the receiving device? Internal, or external? If it can clock externally, letting it clock to the SPDIF signal will give you 0 ppm.
RME syncs with the external spdif clock but still no 0 ppm in REW. Are you mentioning REW?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RME syncs with the external spdif clock but still no 0 ppm in REW. Are you mentioning REW?
I've done it with REW yes although the devil is in the details. If REW is the source, and you use a synch from whatever it feeds all the way through how can it be otherwise?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I've done it with REW yes although the devil is in the details. If REW is the source, and you use a synch from whatever it feeds all the way through how can it be otherwise?
But I'm not talking about the situation when REW is the source. In my case the streamer plays the content itself and REW only captures it over usb.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But I'm not talking about the situation when REW is the source. In my case the streamer plays the content itself and REW only captures it over usb.
Okay, but REW is taking the output of some ADC. Is that ADC synched on the clock or is that ADC using internal clocking which is free running?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Should be way easier that way, indeed ! :p Which version are you using ? I'm running the prebuilt 5.20.14 and I had to play the tone to get REW RTA recognising it.
So you play the file directly on the streamer and the same time you use REW generator to play the same content over usb thru the RME device. And you have selected to have toslink input over usb in the RME settings. This way REW thinks that it's capturing its own content but it's from the streamer in fact. Which lets to do something funny when using different signal level in the generator:
1684744021176.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Okay, but REW is taking the output of some ADC. Is that ADC synched on the clock or is that ADC using internal clocking which is free running?
No ADC involved. Only digital domain all the time.
Streamer > spdif > RME DAC > usb > PC > REW

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No ADC involved. Only digital domain all the time.
Streamer > spdif > RME DAC > usb > PC > REW
The RME is where the ADC goes. In this case it is a digital input it is getting. REW wouldn't know if it were getting an analog signal from an ADC or digital. Even if it were analog, if the clocks are synched you'll not get any drift in the timing.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The RME is where the ADC goes. In this case it is a digital input it is getting. REW wouldn't know if it were getting an analog signal from an ADC or digital. Even if it were analog, if the clocks are synched you'll not get any drift in the timing.
Only if it's the RME with the ADC chip, mine is pure DAC only.
I think that REW can show delta 0 ppm only when content is played from REW and captured over the same interface. It's not my case.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if it's the RME with the ADC chip, mine is pure DAC only.
I think that REW can show delta 0 ppm only when content is played from REW and captured over the same interface. It's not my case.
It can do so over multiple interfaces. I've hooked up as many as three in series. As long as they are synched it works.

Also we have some miscommunication here. A DAC cannot capture anything and send back over USB. You have to have a digital interface or an ADC which send the digital signal back over USB.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It can do so over multiple interfaces. I've hooked up as many as three in series. As long as they are synched it works.

Also we have some miscommunication here. A DAC cannot capture anything and send back over USB. You have to have a digital interface or an ADC which send the digital signal back over USB.
Just tell RME engineers that they should remove toslink-over-usb capture in their ADI-2 DAC...

1684745243187.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just tell RME engineers that they should remove toslink-over-usb capture in their ADI-2 DAC...

View attachment 287277
I have an RME recording interface. You do realize the RME used in this review is an ADC/DAC. Again a DAC does not provide anything over USB to record. Also do you realize the quote you have means the clock is the SPDIF as it says in your quote. The analog output is USB playback, but the clock is SPDIF locked. If you don't understand, then I don't know what to tell you.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have an RME recording interface. You do realize the RME used in this review is an ADC/DAC. Again a DAC does not provide anything over USB to record. Also do you realize the quote you have means the clock is the SPDIF as it says in your quote. The analog output is USB playback, but the clock is SPDIF locked. If you don't understand, then I don't know what to tell you.
It doesn't matter if the RME used here had ADC or not, as the AD conversion is not involved here. You shouldn't join the discussion if you don't read it as I mentioned RME DAC precisely. It was also strictly related to the way REW works.
Anyway, I do not use the REW generator to play anything when using my RME capture function over spdif therefore REW has no data to calculate clock delta. @VintageFlanker plays on the streamer and in the generator the same time so REW can calculate clock delta. Mystery solved, thank you for your cooperation.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again a DAC does not provide anything over USB to record.
@Blumlein 88 RME ADI-2 DAC FS is indeed the exception. ;)

And nothing played in the generator.
Thanks. Seems logical that it works that way. But that is not what I get with my REW unfortunately (still not display proper test without playing the tone). Will try to reinstall it and see how it goes.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thanks. Seems logical that it works that way. But that is not what I get with my REW unfortunately (still not display proper test without playing the tone). Will try to reinstall it and see how it goes.
Maybe there is a related setting somewhere I have enabled for any reason and you did not. Weird though as I never had any issues here.

Top Bottom