• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp or all in one to replace my Devialet 200

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I may test him as I am considering just going for it anyway…….however as you can see I rarely rush into things :)

Best way is not to rush into things, or simply go off one person's opinion....

If this dealer is worth something perhaps he can setup a level matched blinded comparison for you....see if he can prove his statement.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Best way is not to rush into things, or simply go off one person's opinion....

If this dealer is worth something perhaps he can setup a level matched blinded comparison for you....see if he can prove his statement.
We know that’s not going to happen :)
But I can order it and I have 14 days before I have to return it , however I won’t do that until I am sure it’s the way I want to go

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather see the impedance plot from a measurement, but it would be a lesser demand than 2 ohm....
u9c4BEmHWHnvwTbsBQ8nuf-970-80.png.webp

But do note that is the measurement of the newer model, and might be very different.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Amirs review of the D200 and in stereophile I think it was they did mention something about high frquencies

index.php

Could this be the reason why occasionaly when i crank the volume up the music can get a bit bright ? If so would the NAD not handle this better?
My best guess is probably not, the biggest problem as measured is insufficient power at high frequencies so you would expect it to get soft if anything. It's more likely the bass driver is running out of excursion. Your speaker has a single 6.5" bass driver?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

My best guess is probably not, the biggest problem as measured is insufficient power at high frequencies so you would expect it to get soft if anything. It's more likely the bass driver is running out of excursion. Your speaker has a single 6.5" bass driver?
It has a single bass driver yes …it looks about 6.5 yes
just to add the bass from the speaker is excellent.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you acoustically measure with REW you will literally see exactly what you are hearing, always interesting and potentially can lead to real improvements in SQ.
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

So here is a curveball
I could get another D200 and then it would make it a Devialet 400 so a dual mono set up.
Space would allow this and right now they can be picked up quite cheap second hand
What would be the benefits of this option ? with my limited knowledge I would assume it just delivers more power to each speaker .

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So here is a curveball
I could get another D200 and then it would make it a Devialet 400 so a dual mono set up.
Space would allow this and right now they can be picked up quite cheap second hand
What would be the benefits of this option ? with my limited knowledge I would assume it just delivers more power to each speaker .
What is the maximum volume setting you would ever use on the 200? If it's close to 0db then doubling the power might be a good idea, if it's -20 you have loads of power in reserve.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

What is the maximum volume setting you would ever use on the 200? If it's close to 0db then doubling the power might be a good idea, if it's -20 you have loads of power in reserve.
Loudest I ever have it is about -8 but that’s for older recordings
Normal recordings maximum volume is about -14
Most listening done at around -17 to -18
Was more thinking would it help with the delivery between 1 and 4 ohms ?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was more thinking would it help with the delivery between 1 and 4 ohms ?
It doesn't work like that, it might actually be worse! The start of the following thread explains.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Normal recordings maximum volume is about -14
You have plenty of headroom, at -14 you are peaking at about 17 watts.

If you buy a second one that -14 on the 200 will be the same as -17 on the 400, it's less than you think.

Last edited:
OP
Womaz

Womaz

It doesn't work like that, it might actually be worse! The start of the following thread explains.
An intersting thread, not that I understand all of it I admit.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

You have plenty of headroom, at -14 you are peaking at about 17 watts.

If you buy a second one that -14 on the 200 will be the same as -17 on the 400, it's less than you think.
It wasnt really about being able to listen louder, but I get your point. The link you attached makes me think its maybe not worth it at all, especially as it can bring other issues

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're willing to add a Devialet making 2 boxes then I am wondering about the reluctance to using a 2 box solution of preamp/ streamer and power amp stacked in the same space? I get the all in one preference but it's like you draw a line in the sand then step over it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
at -14 you are peaking at about 17 watts.
My maths is wrong, again.

I think you are listening at about 6w RMS, the peak requirement is music dependant, but you have over 14db peak available, as the amp produces more than 200w peak. I think you are using the power, but not overstepping, so the amp is nicely sized for your requirements.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

If you're willing to add a Devialet making 2 boxes then I am wondering about the reluctance to using a 2 box solution of preamp/ streamer and power amp stacked in the same space? I get the all in one preference but it's like you draw a line in the sand then step over it?
Not at all.
I have very limited space , people who run the two amps as a D400 have them stacked on top of each other.
This would work as they are identical.
Anyway I was just exploring the option, it’s probably not the way I will go.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Post 70 shows how little room I have

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Post 70 shows how little room I have
Yeah, that's a small area. You'd probably have to remove that stand to get a NAD M33 in there it's 5.25 inches height compared to the Devialet at 1.6 inches.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Yeah, that's a small area. You'd probably have to remove that stand to get a NAD M33 in there it's 5.25 inches height compared to the Devialet at 1.6 inches.
The NAD would fit as I have measured it properly .
it does limit my choice though.

Top Bottom