• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octavio Stream - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Milanraf

With those prominent even harmonics, it would be interesting to collect subjective evaluations too

Jasperous

Good work as usual. I promoted to home page.

FYI I did receive a unit more than a year ago for testing. I have not done so for myriad of reasons.....
This just begs for more questions than it answers!

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
When looking at the actual market, though, I am not sure if there is much to blame about this one, since even much bigger companies, such as Linkplay, or more recently NAD do not offer any better analog performance, while costing either the same or much more. I could also think about the quite popular Bluesound Node, which presents extremely similar data, also with a TI D/A chip, but is retailing for more than three times the price. In my book, a 199€ streamer is intended to be paired with a (good) DAC. Perhaps, we still need to wait a bit more to see actually good measuring integrated DACs in streamers in that range.
You could also mention the Airport Express (2nd generation). It's currently available used for $30-40, with Airplay streaming and good measurement results for the internal DAC (and optional optical output).

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's really popular?
As a newcomer on the market (WiiM Home is less than two years old on Google Play), it is, indeed. ;)

Other ecosystems such as BluOs, StreamMagic, HEOS, MusicCast certainly will display higher downloads count, but some are established for about a decade or more, by now.

You could also mention the Airport Express (2nd generation). It's currently available used for $30-40, with Airplay streaming and good measurement results for the internal DAC (and optional optical output).
Or simply the venerable Google Chromecast Audio. ;)

This just begs for more questions than it answers!
I guess @amirm simply meant that he has been way too busy.

Hi, its French but doesn't support Deezer?
It does indeed through the Octavio Legacy app. But I didn't try it in Virtuose, since I do not have an account. @davidminard will certainly know better.

With those prominent even harmonics, it would be interesting to collect subjective evaluations too
Then, someone else will have to do this.;) The is no place for an unbalanced DAC in my system, not to mention the signal will be redigitalized by my DSP active speakers anyway. Also, I could not share any reliable subjective listening, out of controlled tests, since I already know the data.

Last edited:

ralph

Great review and good to learn that there is another company out there (even in Europe) that offers a decent affordable streamer with good software. The latter is getting more and more important to me, tired of handling SW issues with my various streaming devices when I just want to listen to music ...

davidminard

Audio Company
It does indeed through the Octavio Legacy app. But I didn't try it in Virtuose, since I do not have an account. @davidminard will certainly know better.
To clarify a bit more, the services integrated in the Octavio Virtuose app include Qobuz and Deezer. For Spotify, we recommend going via Spotify Connect, for Tidal via Tidal Connect and for Amazon and Apple Music via AirPlay 2

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker Thanks for this review. A job well done again. Particularly liked the subjective evaluation of the interface which IMO we need more of as the electronics in these devices are generally good and the interface is as large a part of the offering. Please keep testing and posting.

geekosa

Is there a streamer compatible with Spotify Connect (and Tidal Connect if possible) but with a AES/EBU or a I2S output ?

Haskil

Forum Donor
To clarify a bit more, the services integrated in the Octavio Virtuose app include Qobuz and Deezer. For Spotify, we recommend going via Spotify Connect, for Tidal via Tidal Connect and for Amazon and Apple Music via AirPlay 2
Qobuz is gapless or not ? Without gapless is difficult to listen music and impossible with classical music.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Qobuz is gapless or not ? Without gapless is difficult to listen music and impossible with classical music.
Gapless on my system but I usually run it through the BluOs or Roon which may have something to do with it being gapless.

Haskil

Forum Donor
Gapless on my system but I usually run it through the BluOs or Roon which may have something to do with it being gapless.
I was talking about gapless with the application Octavio virtuose provided by the manufacturer which is the "normal" way to operate this network drive, not through a third party application. And he is not roon ready

Top Bottom