• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 341 86.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters

Geert

Major Contributor
Shots fired...

It would be nice to see validation of

"it looks like the HAT tm function which increases DAC 2nd and 4th harmonic content (2nd by about 12 dB) is on. (HAT makes DAC sound warmer by increasing even harmonics in the DAC current source output stage- the effect is same resolution and sound stage but groovier sound). This setting alone would have lowered SINAD the measurement by at least several dBs".

(Not that it would explain the power supply noise, unless they also provide that as a feature :cool:).

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The thing is, Amir didn't listen to it and never commented on how it sounds, or even how it would sound.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The thing is, Amir didn't listen to it and never commented on how it sounds, or even how it would sound.
I would have listened to it had it not had that persistent filter bug and not so good measurements, resulting in terminating the testing early. That said, such listening tests would be limited to its power handling from the headphone amp, not the rest of it. I am not in the business of passing on unreliable subjective listening results.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
..... I am not in the business of passing on unreliable subjective listening results.
And long may it continue :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This shatters the "Mytek Myth" in the minds of those who previously felt that Mytek had creds.
You must be racking-up a huge list of your haters in the industry, @amirm.:(

Our win but no so much yours!;)
Thank you for all that you do; on our behalf.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You must be racking-up a huge list of your haters in the industry, @amirm.:(
Have you considered writing a book about the whole audio-industry, the goods, the bads, the funnies and the sads.
Your perspective of the state-of-the-industry would get much attention from all sides of the audio 'spectrum'.

I'll shut-up now.:facepalm:

lordhumungous

What I don’t understand is since Brooklyn has an Audio Precision analyzer why does his product measure so poorly ?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Roon forum is about to implode After Amir’s posts. Michal is right now responding …..

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"it looks like the HAT tm function which increases DAC 2nd and 4th harmonic content (2nd by about 12 dB) is on. (HAT makes DAC sound warmer by increasing even harmonics in the DAC current source output stage- the effect is same resolution and sound stage but groovier sound). This setting alone would have lowered SINAD the measurement by at least several dBs".

(Not that it would explain the power supply noise, unless they also provide that as a feature :cool:).
If I read this correctly, they have provided a mode to deliberately inject distortion into the signal to make it “toe tapping”. But the author wants to blame Amir for measuring that? I’m bewildered.

If you introduce distortion to get the “sound” you want, just own it and move on. Make it sound like tubes, I don’t care. I just won’t buy it because that’s not what I want in a $5000 digital device. Or a $200 one.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the crux of the matter is that distortion are desirable if they are the right one. And the time/phase alignment of these distortion. Why don’t you dig deepr on this subject.

Like maybe that a Stradivarius sounds so good and costs $1 milion because it produces right harmonics?. Or you would rather have a “clean” sound of strings without a wooden box? Sure that virtuoso violin player could have gotten a chinese violin on alibaba for $100.
Clearly the dude doesn’t understand the difference between a musical instrument and a reproduction device. This is really classic :facepalm:. Never mind those blind tests showing people cannot distinguish a Stradivarius from a decently made cheaper model ;)

flor

Unfortunately, a mod there got nervous and asked them to tone it down. Amir was not saying anything out of line of course, but the Mytek guy was throwing out a bunch of subjective BS and "sounded" angry.
To me Amir’s questions with multiple question marks read a bit aggressive as well. Amir’s responses were well argued and didn’t need the “???”

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To me Amir’s questions with multiple question marks read a bit aggressive as well. Amir’s responses were well argued and didn’t need the “???”
Only in 2024 are three question marks deemed aggressive. Compared to the number of ad homonyms at @amirm and the ASR community from Michal, I'd say these three question marks are a very mild response.

KSTR

Major Contributor

The specimen measured by Amir is clearly dominated by PSU noise so that even a distortionless DAC would not improve in SINAD by more than 1dB. Other specimen might have much different PSU noise levels, though.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Can this be turned off and the filter also set to something useful ? Then it the product could be remeasured I think .

Such functions as HAT should really be investigated before measuring , just saying ?

However its an oddball function in that it barely skirts auditability ? if its actually on ? that's also worth some investigation is it on or off in this measurement ???
If one really wants this effect it should be even more pronounced or have user settings .

The filter settings that do nothing are an obvious bug that should never have left the factory ( so they deserve a walk of shame for that ), if there are selectable filter they should work properly if not, a proper filter should be default , not the oddball choice .

KSTR

Major Contributor
If one really wants this effect it should be even more pronounced or have user settings
In the ESS-based DACs by RME the user has full access to the distortion trim registers and can dial in large enough amounts that are actually audible ;-)

Top Bottom