• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All in all, I'm glad Amir has started to hook up the AP to other stuff besides cheap D/A converters and weak-ass 'headphone' amplifiers- it makes a nice change.

Realistically, setting up -20dB and 0dB rec/play and play sweeps and S/N with all tape types, plus W&F results along with input and output impedances/levels and headphone capability is a huge undertaking for the odd cassette deck that wanders across his test bench.

Same with phono preamplifiers, general preamplifiers and integrated/power amplifiers. There are a lot of different tests we all want to see, but time is the issue.

:)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am now half-way restoring a Nak CR-3 and I get a frequency response on Maxell XLII that is ruler flat out to ... 26kHz, with negligible channel imbalance.

Ruler flat for a cassette deck. Let's be honest. And at -20dB~-30dB. No way a CR-3 on type I will do 26KHz otherwise at any reasonable THD.

maty

Major Contributor
These sort of incredulous claims need to be done with blind testing. I don't mean to single you out, but there are no instances (not including that BS AES article) of people being able to distinguish hi-res from CD when the masterings are identical, under blind conditions.

Since you say you are a follower of archimago he even had a rather detailed listening survey showing as much.

GreatNews-Audio-feeds-December-2018.png

My signature are in the styles finished in: _jfy and _jfy_x2.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-b-as.html

One last thing for those who have a music archive and want to save space, IMO feel free to convert the 24/96 5.1 mix to 16/48 5.1. Most tracks look like they have just various amounts of noise beyond 24kHz. Here's "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" during playback:

I can hear the differences from many years, and many others who love the good recordings too. I will not fall back into the stupid discussions about the excellencies of MP3, 16/44, and Nyquist, Fourier... that are limited to repeat without knowing thoroughly the theory and, above all, the practical limitations of its implementation, especially years ago. No in open Iternet.

Some questions to you: why now almost the good vinyl rips are 24/96 FLAC, an exception of very good recordings at 24/192 FLAC? And they are updated to the last FLAC library. And FLAC 0 is increasingly used (It cost a little to leave FLAC 8), iZotope to clean... You can search info in the open Internet but NOTHING (or almost). You can only imagine the answers :)

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
To finish, in my second and cheap audio system I can hear these and other differences. And yet I have been unable to differentiate between MP3 320 kbps and a simple FLAC 16/44 in other people's houses, in their main equipment (much more expensive than my secondary). And then endure ridicule because I was unable to differentiate!

Of course, I also notice the differences in the main one, but this one has been kidnapped for years by the TV, family and the horrible current commercial music (very bad recorded, with very low DR too). It is illogical to spend more money and time on it! I would like to build the expensive DIY Plutone speakers: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Plutone.html but I do not know what sense! Or modified a new KEF Q750 with I have learned in my little KEF Q100.

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/856-kef-q750-loudspeakers
[Polish] http://www.avtest.pl/zestawy-glosnikowe/item/767-kef-q750

Now I know the causes, the bottlenecks responsible for being unable in other audio systems (some very very expensive). Many audiophiles believe that the answer to their problems, in their search for the holy grail of audio, is in spending and spending money.

And then there are the others, who believe that any gadget is enough to enjoy music. They do not know good recordings and if recordings are old they sound terrible in their systems.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some questions to you: why now almost the good vinyl rips are 24/96 FLAC, an exception of very good recordings at 24/192 FLAC? And they are updated to the last FLAC library. And FLAC 0 is increasingly used (It cost a little to leave FLAC 8), iZotope to clean... You can search info in the open Internet but NOTHING (or almost). You can only imagine the answers :)
Good vinyl rip is an oxymoron

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The customary level for a frequency sweep is -20dB ref. Dolby level or DIN 0dB.

But anyway, at -10 this ‘3 still does 20kHz.
Sorry I forgot. It is almost 30 years since I aligned my tape recorder and I have an old bloke’a memory. I do remember thinking as a youth the standard was daft and trying to get a flat response at 0dB!!!

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@amirm, now waiting for a vinyl test disc to show up and start testing some "needles". :) I bet the 2nd and 3rd harmonics will be higher than this Nakamichi shows.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, now waiting for a vinyl test disc to show up and start testing some "needles". :) I bet the 2nd and 3rd harmonics will be higher than this Nakamichi shows.
Maybe I will get into one if someone offers a test vinyl.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe I will get into one if someone offers a test vinyl.
Hey if your going to start testing needles I’m going to need a substantial pay rise. There was enough butt hurt inspired by this little bit of fun.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey if your going to start testing needles I’m going to need a substantial pay rise. There was enough butt hurt inspired by this little bit of fun.
That is a truism. As to a raise, it depends on whether you go through Brexit or not. Looking for maximum devaluation of the British Pound. :)

Top Bottom