• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element X2 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 81 29.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 130 47.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 47 17.2%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Can you install volumio and such on a Pi model B from 2012? does it takes all updates from Tidal and such? I highly doubt it. My Bluesound streamer is from 2007, and it still receive firmware updates and all apps updates. In the end a PI is a computer. All of them becomes obsolete.
I personally am not sure. But then again in 2012 they weren't developing either of those platforms either at all or for the Pi.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actual difference. Not that it would matter. No music comes this close in SINAD and certainly no headphone does.
I know it doesn't matter, but given that the difference is around 1.5%, I'm curious about what the typical margin of error for these tests is, and what the typical unit-to-unit variation of the same build is. This may have been addressed in the past but I'm not sure I've ever seen it discussed.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I know it doesn't matter, but given that the difference is around 1.5%, I'm curious about what the typical margin of error for these tests is, and what the typical unit-to-unit variation of the same build is. This may have been addressed in the past but I'm not sure I've ever seen it discussed.
The Margin of Error is usually 0.2% or under.

leManu

Thanks @amirm for another great and honest review. I got 2 weeks ago its little brother, the element i2 for my bedroom setup and it's fantastic. @MatrixAudio products are NOT for everybody. These are luxury devices that perform very well. You don't get a good device only, you get a customer service that could be the envy for some US based companies. I have had issues with my X-SABRE 3 and element i2 related to firmware, and after summiting my bud report, I get custom build firmware updates in less than 24 hours. Build quality is one of the best compared to even more expensive streamers. I also own Topping and I love my A90D but comparing Topping with Matrix Audio is not even fair for Topping. You get a problem with your Matrix Audio device, and you can deal directly with @MatrixAudio, they will walk the extra mile to fix your issue, even build a custom firmware for you. I haven't hear of any other company doing this.

View attachment 265567
Linn does. Not any less expensive...

airs

This might make sense if it had Dirac and was 1/3rd the price.

ebslo

Forum Donor
The problem with Raspberry Pi is that 7 or 8 years from now, It will likely be fully obsolete and not compatible with the updates from the various streaming services. Dedicated hardware platform don't normally suffer that if the manufacturer is serious.
I can upgrade a $100 raspberry pi 44 times for the price of an Element X2. If I upgrade every 7 years it would take 308 years to spend as much as 1 Element X2.

Besides, where's the guarantee Matrix will be updating firmware for this device for new services in 7 or 8 years? Where's the guarantee Matrix will be in business in 7 or 8 years?

delgesu

I bought the Matrix Element i2 at 1/3 the price of the x2. It meets all my needs, especially Roon Ready and I don't even really need the headphone amp. It is a wonderful device with the same finish as the X2 and I assume the specs/measurements are similar.
Maybe this is a good alternative for others here on the forum as well; I love the i2! I don't need all the extra stuff the X2 has on board.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still think anything above provably transparent ought to be ranked exactly the same, since anything provably transparent sounds exactly the same whether it's -117 or -117,000 db sinad and therefore is identical so far as it's use as a dac is concerned.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I bought the Matrix Element i2 at 1/3 the price of the x2. It meets all my needs, especially Roon Ready and I don't even really need the headphone amp. It is a wonderful device with the same finish as the X2 and I assume the specs/measurements are similar.
Maybe this is a good alternative for others here on the forum as well; I love the i2! I don't need all the extra stuff the X2 has on board.
I agree. Coming from a NODE (2021) then to a Rapsberry Pi 4 with Display running RoPieee + Topping E50 to a Matrix Audio element i2, I feel I reached the point of no need to look for anything else for my bedroom setup. The i2 is wonderful, reliable and backed up by a great company. @MatrixAudio did a great job with the element 2 series.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A question regarding the slight difference in SINAD between this and the X model -

Is that 2dB variation more likely attributable to unit-to-unit variation, to a margin of error of the tests, or to an actual difference in the devices?
Pretty sure this is due to this unit having an analog pre-amp after the DAC to allow analog input. If so, the hit is actually quite small.

delgesu

...so maybe the element 2i has even better SINAD as it has no analog input ...?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I can upgrade a $100 raspberry pi 44 times for the price of an Element X2. If I upgrade every 7 years it would take 308 years to spend as much as 1 Element X2.

Besides, where's the guarantee Matrix will be updating firmware for this device for new services in 7 or 8 years? Where's the guarantee Matrix will be in business in 7 or 8 years?
Indeed, no guarantee. That's why I said "If the manufacturer is serious" I don't know that. My discussion was not about the price of this unit, just general statement that an IC based solution normally have a longer life than a PC based solution. Personally I paid 150$ For a used 1st gen Bluesound Node for streaming, it was released in 2007 and it's fully functional, supported and works with all streaming platforms. It can still receive all the firmware and software updates as if it was the current model. Before you ask, I don't use the DAC in it, and I use it wired hooked up to a small switch. So for measured sound quality, and wifi, I can't vouch for it, but as a streamer it's great. That said, I have nothing against PIs, I have used them many times for all sort of stuff. and I am sure it works well, but I don't think it reach the level of plug and play and forget about it for 15 years. It just don't.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Define expensive, please? What could be expensive for you, could be OK or cheap for me. I own a Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 ($3000) and a Matrix Audio element i2 ($1500). For most of the crowd, they are extremely expensive, for me no. I own a Topping A90D, great headphone amp which also could work as pre amp. A few weeks ago decided to purchase a Benchmark HPA4 to use as pre amp. Yes, $3500 vs $599 but I found I LOVE the HPA4 and now the A90D is for sale. Most people uncomfortable or criticizing the X2, done it based in price vs performance comparing it to most of the popular, less expensive choices. But guess what, there are other guys here in ASR that care more about reliability, customer support, and why not, build quality over price. I'm don't make ton of money but I always make sure the equipment I purchase have good resale value as well. So you see, there are always two sides of the coin no matter what.

Gio

Forum Donor
Define expensive, please? What could be expensive for you, could be OK or cheap for me. I own a Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 ($3000) and a Matrix Audio element i2 ($1500). For most of the crowd, they are extremely expensive, for me no. I own a Topping A90D, great headphone amp which also could work as pre amp. A few weeks ago decided to purchase a Benchmark HPA4 to use as pre amp. Yes, $3500 vs $599 but I found I LOVE the HPA4 and now the A90D is for sale. Most people uncomfortable or criticizing the X2, done it based in price vs performance comparing it to most of the popular, less expensive choices. But guess what, there are other guys here in ASR that care more about reliability, customer support, and why not, build quality over price. I'm don't make ton of money but I always make sure the equipment I purchase have good resale value as well. So you see, there are always two sides of the coin no matter what.
Of course everyone has to do what he wants with his money and no one has the right to criticize him. I speak for myself and I hope that Topping or SMSL make an equally excellent streamer (just streamer because most of people already own a DAC) but at a much lower cost because this is possible.

delgesu

I share enricolaudios views. For me it's also no problem to buy the x2 but the i2 simply made more sense. I have €20.000 amps but on the other side i own the cheap m400et monos from audiophonics. I like both sides: high end -maybe overpriced- stuff, heavy, blinky .... but also reasonable things.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t really imagine who will buy this. It’s too expensive for this crowd, but doesn’t have the required audiophile mystique for that other crowd.
Best to speak for yourself as you dont represent everyone @ ASR

PeteL

Major Contributor
Of course everyone has to do what he wants with his money and no one has the right to criticize him. I speak for myself and I hope that Topping or SMSL make an equally excellent streamer (just streamer because most of people already own a DAC) but at a much lower cost because this is possible.
SMSL makes a streamer. It is not equally excellent tough.

Bernd

Forum Donor
So is it the first time that a network streamer is ranked and compared and competing in the same charts as pure DACs, and being competitive at it? In the past Amir was putting them in the AVR category. Just that says a lot.
Indeed, I had not noticed. I fully agree

Top Bottom