• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element S & alternatives

dscottj

Matrix Audio announced its first pure streamer recently (April, I think). I'm quite happy with my Element M, but I do miss having a screen that displays what's playing at any one time. $1500 seems quite a lot to pay for a screen, but I'm having trouble getting google/amazon/whatevs to cough up a lower-cost alternative. If I were to go down this road, I'd likely pair it with a Topping DAC.

I know that there are vastly cheaper options with high measured performance, but none of them have a screen. Anyone know of alternatives? Thanks!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Pi 4 Touchscreen Display running RopieeeXL would work with any external DAC via USB. It’s also Roon Bridge so it would work as Roon End Point. A Pi 4 with Display cost no more than $250. RopieeeXL is free.

Xellence

Maybe EverSolo DMP-A6? It measured well, and the UI is quite friendly.
Not a pure streamer though, but you can still use it as a digital transport since it has a digital output.

reviewed by Amir here:

Ranton

Go big or go home! If you use Roon, for under $500, you can set up a large touchscreen monitor running off a small, cheap fanless PC as a control point (only works with Windows). Darko did a video on this a few years ago. In my case, I use a Dell P2418HT touchscreen and a MeLE Quieter 3Q Fanless Mini. I think you can get cheaper monitors by Chinese brands, but the Dell has performed well. The experience of running your Roon setup off of a 24" touchscreen is sublime! Works great for displaying cover art across the room, too.
IMG_1753.jpeg

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Go big or go home! If you use Roon, for under $500, you can set up a large touchscreen monitor running off a small, cheap fanless PC as a control point (only works with Windows). Darko did a video on this a few years ago. In my case, I use a Dell P2418HT touchscreen and a MeLE Quieter 3Q Fanless Mini. I think you can get cheaper monitors by Chinese brands, but the Dell has performed well. The experience of running your Roon setup off of a 24" touchscreen is sublime! Works great for displaying cover art across the room, too.
View attachment 292580

makes much more sense to use a Rpi4 as Roon endpoint (or NAA endpoint for HQplayer) and a iPad as display / remote. :)

Top Bottom