• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element X2 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 81 29.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 130 47.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 47 17.2%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
No chance that performs better, even the official spec is the same.

I hope Amir will measure x sabre 3 in the future.

Thanks to @VintageFlanker we have measurements already. In fat, @amirm promoted it to home page.

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
Hello, curently I own
  • a Raspbeery PI '(around 130 € these days, if you can find one) with RoopieeeXL (free of charge) as a streamer (RopieeeXL which is fed by HQPlayer which by it self is fed by Roon and Spotify)
  • a RMI ADI DAC 2FS (around 1200 € -as far as I can see)
  • a Topping A90D as my headphone amplifier (600 €)
I find the sound superb although this is just my impression - I do not have any measurements like AMIR to prove my point.
Nevertheless, I consider this a really serious rig for less than 2000€. As with many other contributors to this forum, I do have the impression that Matrix seem to be overplaying their hand - pricewise.
I used a PI solution with display combined with a Topping D90 but maintaining the PI was too onerous: regular failures that required re-imaging, complex setup, etc. I moved to the X-Sabre 3 and strongly prefer the simplicity/reliability (and to be clear, I installed Linux on laptops in the early/mid 90s, so not shy in these matters). The integrated streamer/DAC approach is worth the price for me insofar as it stays bulletproof.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

I think if the preamp functionality has similar SOTA performance, it'd be a good buy at $2500. As is, I couldn't justify the purchase either on performance or value. It's just not a competitive product.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
But… then there is the Zidoo Neo X for $1500. Mqa, hdmi, oh yeah meters.and 1/3 the price of the matrix
F3785C98-7A71-477A-A812-4E1E0D2FDFD4.png

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apples and banana's, sorry
The neo s should be compared to the element i2 not the element x2
Do some more research and you will see why
I own both

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This price? What? You'd have to love this exact feature set and not care about the mediocre preamp section. Seems contradictory.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I still come here. I have all that I need gear wise. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I listened to this today with the stealth and my Aeon and while it sounded fine; the power was a bit lacking with the Aeon.
It worked with the stealth and @amirm is right; I used 55-65 volume level.
It did work directly with my Sony Xperia directly from USB.

Trell

Major Contributor
Are you sure you're not reading too much into Amir's graph? It shows the X2 having 103.7dB SINAD at -30dB.

For reference, the D90SE using regular old digital attenuation will have 102.8dB SINAD at the same -30dB (you can extrapolate that from the DR measurement).

Is that +0.9dB SINAD boost really of any value? It's certainly not a game-changer.

I don't understand your calculation for the D90SE as it has a SINAD of 124.68 dB at 5.114 V, so at -30 dB the SINAD should be 124.68-30=94.68? This from the cursor position in Amir's review of the D90SE:

index.php

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't understand your calculation for the D90SE as it has a SINAD of 124.68 dB at 5.114 V, so at -30 dB the SINAD should be 124.68-30=94.68?
No. From the Dynamic Range test we know the D90SE has 72.85dB SINAD at -60dB input (132.85-60)
Dynamic-Range-1 (1).jpg

Since -60, -30dB are levels at which noise dominates, we know the DAC will react linearly to increases in level. Add one dB to the output, gain one dB SINAD.
Therefore, at -30dB input, the D90SE will show SINAD of 72.85+30=102.85dB.

Edit: as for the D90SE's SINAD at full output, the 124.x dB that you've quoted is actually the SINAD of the APx555 analyzer. The DAC's actual SINAD is closer to 127dB, which is only measurable if you add a notch filter to the APx.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is that +0.9dB SINAD boost really of any value? It's certainly not a game-changer.
The .9db is literally meaningless,what is the game changer from my perspective is the peace of mind that no digital glitch will present the full output to an amp.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Topping / SMSL would probably make serious money if they could integrate a raspberry pi 4 in their DACs. People could put a streamer software of their choice on it or use it as Roon endpoint. Sell that bundled with a matching headphone amp and XLR cables.

Should be possible for 1000 USD to get a seriously good stack with a small footprint.

With the money that's left over you could buy a pair of Kef LS50II and a iPad Pro! As display
(Ridiculous really how much this thing costs)
The problem with Raspberry Pi is that 7 or 8 years from now, It will likely be fully obsolete and not compatible with the updates from the various streaming services. Dedicated hardware platform don't normally suffer that if the manufacturer is serious.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So is it the first time that a network streamer is ranked and compared and competing in the same charts as pure DACs, and being competitive at it? In the past Amir was putting them in the AVR category. Just that says a lot.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I haven't tested it yet, but a new functionality was added with the latest firmware released on Feb 15th. Now the X2, M2 and i2 can play CDs when you attach an USB CD Drive to the USB-C port on the back of the unit.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The problem with Raspberry Pi is that 7 or 8 years from now, It will likely be fully obsolete and not compatible with the updates from the various streaming services. Dedicated hardware platform don't normally suffer that if the manufacturer is serious.
I see it the other way around. If a software solution is built it would run on all pi forever!
There is software from the first Pi's running on the latest ones like a decade later.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I see it the other way around. If a software solution is built it would run on all pi forever!
There is software from the first Pi's running on the latest ones like a decade later.
Can you install volumio and such on a Pi model B from 2012? does it takes all updates from Tidal and such? I highly doubt it. My Bluesound streamer is from 2007, and it still receive firmware updates and all apps updates. In the end a PI is a computer. All of them becomes obsolete.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A question regarding the slight difference in SINAD between this and the X model -

Is that 2dB variation more likely attributable to unit-to-unit variation, to a margin of error of the tests, or to an actual difference in the devices?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
A question regarding the slight difference in SINAD between this and the X model -

Is that 2dB variation more likely attributable to unit-to-unit variation, to a margin of error of the tests, or to an actual difference in the devices?
Actual difference. Not that it would matter. No music comes this close in SINAD and certainly no headphone does.

Top Bottom