• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 70s AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 65.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 79 28.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters

OKI

Hi, I am also considering new AV Receiver, Cinema 70 and X2800H are on the short list, This is from the Marantz site: The Marantz Sound Master meticulously tuned CINEMA 70s for amazing performance with our proprietary HDAM amplification circuitry to create the Most Musical Sound in your home.
What do you think about comparable Onkyo receiver instead of this Marantz and Denon? To notice, I am an audiophile, this is my Cinema system, my main system is Arcam / Open baffle speakers, etc...so , I would like for my receiver to play music fair nice, this is important to me...
Thank you all for this threads here.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

EWL5

Hi, I am also considering new AV Receiver, Cinema 70 and X2800H are on the short list, This is from the Marantz site: The Marantz Sound Master meticulously tuned CINEMA 70s for amazing performance with our proprietary HDAM amplification circuitry to create the Most Musical Sound in your home.
What do you think about comparable Onkyo receiver instead of this Marantz and Denon? To notice, I am an audiophile, this is my Cinema system, my main system is Arcam / Open baffle speakers, etc...so , I would like for my receiver to play music fair nice, this is important to me...
Thank you all for this threads here.
If you are an audiophile you probably don't want any less than a Denon 3800 or Cinema 50.

On the Onkyo side, shoot for the RZ70 or Pioneer 805 equivalent (I won't recommend the RZ50/505 due to the stealth amp protection).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cinema 70 is a rather low-power amplifier, mostly for smaller spaces, so it will not deliver a high amount of power when run in 7.1ch. Also, it will run hot on louder volumes if placed in confined space, unless you provide a proper ventilated space. Feel free to read at least the first pages of this thread, but also https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rsonal-thoughts-and-a-few-measurements.50743/.

I know this is a tall order, I am wondering if there is any chance you can measure the AVR-X1800H. It is not something I need but I have been looking for a low cost convenient way to use DLBC in one of my two channel system and was considering, almost pull the trigger on the MOTU 4 DAC, then suddenly I noticed the X1800H was on sale (in Canada) so I went and negotiated a deal with a nearby dealer, got it for about US$ 550 equivalent, that's like 50% of the price of the Cinema 70. So far, in my intensive testing using my BMR speakers that have no more than 85 dB/2.83 V sensitivity, this light weight AVR has no trouble without using any of ext. amps.

So, my tall order is, can you measure such a low end Denon amp, that as far as I could see, has the same preamp/dac signal chain as the Cinema 70 that also don't have HDAMs. I suspect the two will be very comparable in terms of pre outs, but would probably do quite a bit better in terms driving lower impedance, and/or low sensitivity speakers at moderately loud volume in a smaller from, say from less than 10 ft. Obviously the Cinema 70 has generally better build quality, and beats the Denon for those who need a low profile, better looking unit, but at half, or a little more than half the price, the Denon could be a better alternative, if it measures as good as the Cinema 70.

If I was in the US, I wouldn't mind sending my unit to Amir, but being in Canada, I don't want to do it for obvious reason. Thanks regardless.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are an audiophile you probably don't want any less than a Denon 3800 or Cinema 50.

On the Onkyo side, shoot for the RZ70 or Pioneer 805 equivalent (I won't recommend the RZ50/505 due to the stealth amp protection).

I don't know if I consider myself an audiophile lol... The fact is, I got rid of both my AV8801 and AVR-X4400H (used in one of my 2 Ch system), and now got myself an X1800H, that is two notches down from the X3800H and C50. The 8801 and 4400 no doubt would do better in some ways, for for my need, I feel the 1800 actually make me happier, for one thing, it has the pre outs I need, though the other two has independent pre outs, but overall, I am happier with the 1800. So, again, I would still say it depends, something less than the two you mentioned could be good, even for an audiophile.

EWL5

I don't know if I consider myself an audiophile lol... The fact is, I got rid of both my AV8801 and AVR-X4400H (used in one of my 2 Ch system), and now got myself an X1800H, that is two notches down from the X3800H and C50. The 8801 and 4400 no doubt would do better in some ways, for for my need, I feel the 1800 actually make me happier, for one thing, it has the pre outs I need, though the other two has independent pre outs, but overall, I am happier with the 1800. So, again, I would still say it depends, something less than the two you mentioned could be good, even for an audiophile.
Right, but I know that in your situation, the 1800 only serves for stereo purposes and has a niche job. My recommendations are more so for the general AV population that wants the AVR to do all!

I'm not an audiophile because I'm willing to spend $10k on equipment but not $20k. I'm just a hobbyist trying to get by based on best "values" in the industry! I don't need the nth significant digit performance!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but I know that in your situation, the 1800 only serves for stereo purposes and has a niche job. My recommendations are more so for the general AV population that wants the AVR to do all!

I'm not an audiophile because I'm willing to spend $10k on equipment but not $20k. I'm just a hobbyist trying to get by based on best "values" in the industry! I don't need the nth significant digit performance!
Haha if you define audiophile as someone who is willing to spend around 20K on equipment then okay...but still, what would be included in the "equipment"? If only the AVP, or AVR, that's a lot, otherwise may be not.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I know this is a tall order, I am wondering if there is any chance you can measure the AVR-X1800H.
Not sure where to find one now, but if I will then I'll update you for sure. Meanwhile, you should go ahead with your purchase, especially if it's a good price, because I seriously doubt that the THD+N at standard volume levels will be worse that 80dB.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where to find one now, but if I will then I'll update you for sure. Meanwhile, you should go ahead with your purchase, especially if it's a good price, because I seriously doubt that the THD+N at standard volume levels will be worse that 80dB.
Thanks anyway. I wanted to buy a QA403 but wouldn't know what to do with it after measured all my gear.:D

Top Bottom