• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more confirmation bias review from Ripewave.

He is as biased/perceptive as Andrew R. Both seems able to do tons of reviews. While both biased/subjective, he is more consistent, and he typically includes lots of HR Photos, and occasionally REW graphs too, that nice.

thezoneC30

Here we go for some more biased information. At around 11:00 Phillip Jones dodges the question about whether Dirac ART will be supported by the C30 but does indicate there will be "More additional performance enhancements on the way" I assume available via FW update.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go for some more biased information. At around 11:00 Phillip Jones dodges the question about whether Dirac ART will be supported by the C30 but does indicate there will be "More additional performance enhancements on the way" I assume available via FW update.

Thank you very much for the link!

He did not tell the whole truth about why Marantz costs more than comparable Denon when using the Cinema 50 vs AVR-X3800H. I say that because in Europe the difference between the two are no where near the $1,000 difference in North America, anyone can find that part of the truth. He was partially true about Marantz has more parts, such as HDAMs, and the use of toroidal Tx, that obviously on all else being equal basis, costs much more than EI core ones.

On the Cinema 30 vs AVR-X6800H, then yes I think it is fair to say it is true, and it is reflected in the fact that the difference in price is almost the same on both side of the Atlantic, that is, $1,000 vs Euro 1,000.

H probably didn't realize it, that he virtually admitted the difference between the two is really just the amp section, and on the preamp side it is just the HDAMs. So for those who intend to use external amps, the Denon is the better deal, whereas if use as AVR the Cinema 30 may be the better one.

All in all, while highly subjective, it is a very informative video, almost as good as those by Masimo. Masimo's better on the technical details, and the production manager used less sales pitch than Phil Jones, who is of course more entertaining to listen to than the engineer like Masimo presenter.

Cinema 30 and AVR-X6800H owners should be able to expect >100 dB SINAD for sure, based on the info provided on this video.

Lastly, when he was making the point about the different sound between D and M, you can see that Gene did not seem to believe the BS lol... (Based on his comments reacting to PJ's).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more confirmation bias review from Ripewave.

I watched it, even in his sighted tests, if you listen to him carefully you will know that he really wasn't sure if he heard a difference. In pure direct he said had to put his ears right on the speakers to hear a difference, what the heck is that, even if he actually heard what he claimed, who would put their ears on the speakers for real world use lol.....

At least he's not the kind who claimed obvious, night and day kind of difference and never used silly so called sound quality descriptions like musical, warm, punch, brittle etc., and actually concluded that those 14 units, that include A8A (top ranked by him) to Cinema 50 and X3800H (his two lowest ranking) don't really sound much different and advised people to work on room EQ. He also said in the beginning, his "sound comparisons" were done with Room EQ/C on. Still, way better than A.Robinson's over the top subjective reviews. His probably one of the few subjective reviews that I would pay some minimum attention to, that's obviously just my opinion.

Last edited:

pkgriffith814

I currently have the Anthem AVM 70 (4K) but wanted something with Dirac. I had a Lexicon RV-6 before the Anthem and loved the sound but it was a little quirky to say the least. I was looking at the Cinema 30 and the AV 10 but accessories4less had the Denon A1H on sale for $3,999 so I bought one last night.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently have the Anthem AVM 70 (4K) but wanted something with Dirac. I had a Lexicon RV-6 before the Anthem and loved the sound but it was a little quirky to say the least. I was looking at the Cinema 30 and the AV 10 but accessories4less had the Denon A1H on sale for $3,999 so I bought one last night.
That's a fantastic deal if in perfect condttion that someone returns, so you are going to use it as prepro and buy the dlbc license? It is worth it, imo.

pkgriffith814

I've bought from them 3 times and each time the purchase looked untouched and worked to perfection. Just need to start lifting before it comes so I can get it in the house.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've bought from them 3 times and each time the purchase looked untouched and worked to perfection. Just need to start lifting before it comes so I can get it in the house.
Look forward to a review, subjective or not....

CCCC

They also explain why Denon and Marantz sound different

Captura2.PNG

CCCC

You think is marketing, they say they use different components (eg HDAM modules) and different tuning

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You think is marketing, they say they use different components (eg HDAM modules) and different tuning
Yes, that's what they said. Regardless, I am not saying they don't sound different, but listen to what Gene said about the filter 1 and filter 2, he seemed clearly tentative, when he said he thought he preferred filter 2. Those things are more than just marketing hype, but the HDAMs, and the tuning thing might be, as the measurements don't lie, ears/brains of their sound masters do.

Anyway, I don't expect you to agree with me, it's all good, I like the Marantz a lot. If I use it as prepro, I would take the Denon, for $1,000 less, but ommv, obviously.

The presentation contains lots of useful info, it's up to the individual to form their own more informed opinions, based on their understanding.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does a Sound Master do besides Marketing Buzzwords? Nothing?
Interesting question! Probably something like teach engineers, designers, and technicians how to tweak and tune for the best sound quality (to them), regardless of measuable changes......

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Masimo Consumer Training posted a Denon AVC-X6800H & Marantz CINEMA 30 Introduction video. No talk of any objective improvements, SINAD etc :(

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Masimo Consumer Training posted a Denon AVC-X6800H & Marantz CINEMA 30 Introduction video. No talk of any objective improvements, SINAD etc :(

SINAD for the C30 was mentioned in another video, by Gene and P. Jones iirc.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I'm afraid I didn't have the patience to watch that one all the way through. I hope it's good.

At least now we know the DAC is the 8 channel ES9017S ( 110dB THD+N, 120dB DNR) so it will a step down from the A1H and AV10.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid I didn't have the patience to watch that one all the way through. I hope it's good.

At least now we know the DAC is the 8 channel ES9017S ( 110dB THD+N, 120dB DNR) so it will a step down from the A1H and AV10.
I watched the whole thing, so I can tell you the following:

It measured better than the AV10's balanced out, in par with AV10's unbalanced output, i.e. 107 dB.

That's why they said in that video, if you only need 11, or 13 channel with ext. amp, the C30 may be perfect.

No SINAD has been shown for the X6800H, but given that the preamp/dac is the same less the HDAMs, I will bet SINAD will be about the same for both.

EWL5

We've known about that for a while since this pic became available:

6800 DAC.png

Top Bottom