• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Any proud owners want to share their subjective opinions? I am waiting to read or see reviews but so far nothing!

thezoneC30

Hey peeps, this is my first post in these forums. Just ordered one of the last of the first batch of 15 x Cinema 30's to hit Australia (only available in black here). Very excited, should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm currently rocking an Emotiva XMC-2 which sounds great but is full of bugs and I'm looking forward to something with more stability but also excellent quality sound. I intend to turn off all internal amps and use my Purifi 3ch amp from Audiophonics for the LCR, with the remaining 6ch sent to a Buckeye Hypex. Will report back here after initial set up. Cheers!

PS it was very expensive down here in Oz as the dollar is so bad. AUD$7,900!

DrStranger

Any real reviews yet beside the marketing videos out there?
I know, its WH , but its something

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I know, its WH , but its something
Thank you, subjective but not entirely bad!

EWL5

If this is a clone of the Denon 6800 (and using it as a proxy for Cinema 30 measurements), I'm not overly impressed w/the 8 ohm to 4 ohm power distribution!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is a clone of the Denon 6800 (and using it as a proxy for Cinema 30 measurements), I'm not overly impressed w/the 8 ohm to 4 ohm power distribution!
Sorry, where did you see measurements for either one?

EWL5

Sorry, where did you see measurements for either one?
In the 6800 thread:

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
It looks like the amplifiers are different?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the amplifiers are different?
The layout is different but if, and only if, they follow their past pratice, the amp modules would be identical. My reference is, the AVR-X8500H, SR8012, AVR-X6500H have identical power amps, but the board/heatsink layout are different, and the power supply of the X6500H, now the X6800H, are slightly small than the flagship Denon and Marantz AVR's.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
In this case I heard that they are different from Denon, same with Toroidal transformer

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case I heard that they are different from Denon, same with Toroidal transformer
In what case, the amp modules? I highly doubt that (based on the previous models and the specs appear to remain the same as before), but anything is possible. The transformers are of course different, the Denon's are EI cores not toroid, we have all seen the pictures so there is no doubt.

You will be told of "difference", they obviously want to sell a lot more Marantz, that obviously would mean more profit for them due to the much higher margin. That aside, if used as an AVR, I would go with the Cinema 30. If used as preamp/proc then I would go with the Denon because there is no way I would pay $1,000 more for the better look, and the better power supply I don't need. Everyone will spend their $s on different thing so it is good that they offer the two choices.

EWL5

Enjoy the $1000 difference! I certainly can't justify it (Denon and Marantz have been playing the same game since even when I was selling these suckers nearly 20 years ago)!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Enjoy the $1000 difference! I certainly can't justify it (Denon and Marantz have been playing the same game since even when I was selling these suckers nearly 20 years ago)!

Based on the big price drop of the SR8015, if one waits 3 years, when they launch the Cinema 31, there may be great deals on the C30. The replacement of the C30 will likely mean less of a jump from the SR8015 to C30 because the C30 has covered the most wanted ground, that is, a near reference class DAC IC, 11 power amps, 13 channel processing, 4 subouts, Dirac paid upgrade options, individual channel based preamp mode and higher resolution graphics. The AVC-X6800H will not likely to have a potentially steep price drop because it is at a reasonably low price point at launch time already.

For those who can't wait, the Cinema 30 isn't that bad of a deal either as it still costs $2,000 to $2,500 less than the Denon AVC-A1H. Yes the A1H has the reference class ESS DAC ICs, but can anyone hear the difference between 110 and 120 dB SINAD, I doubt it, though the A1H can process 2 additional channel, if that matters.

EWL5

Based on the big price drop of the SR8015, if one waits 3 years, when they launch the Cinema 31, there may be great deals on the C30. The replacement of the C30 will likely mean less of a jump from the SR8015 to C30 because the C30 has covered the most wanted ground, that is, a near reference class DAC IC, 11 power amps, 13 channel processing, 4 subouts, Dirac paid upgrade options, individual channel based preamp mode and higher resolution graphics. The AVC-X6800H will not likely to have a potentially steep price drop because it is at a reasonably low price point at launch time already.

For those who can't wait, the Cinema 30 isn't that bad of a deal either as it still costs $2,000 to $2,500 less than the Denon AVC-A1H. Yes the A1H has the reference class ESS DAC ICs, but can anyone hear the difference between 110 and 120 dB SINAD, I doubt it, though the A1H can process 2 additional channel, if that matters.
Honestly, I would rather put that $2-2.5k saved towards a better sound system in a car like the optional $3400 B&W audio package for an X7 for example!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I would rather put that $2-2.5k saved towards a better sound system in a car like the optional $3400 B&W audio package for an X7 for example!
Absolutely agree (as much as I appreciate excellent build quality), and it may save $ for back massage after setting the 70 pounder up.:D It really is time for Denon to quit making such heavy AVRs and focus on coming up with a viable AVP, not necessarily one as costly as their world's only available end to end so called fully differential/balanced preamp/dac when they launched the also back breaking AVP-A1HD (almost 60 lbs, heavier than most AVRs) but may be just a stripped down A1H with more XLR I/Os will do wonder for their marketing/sales department. If and when they are ready, I may be ready to trade my Anthem AVM70 in.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

My guess is that the C31 will pack a slightly better DAC and 48gb/s HDMI 2.1, but beyond that, not much of an improvement.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor

Not a review just a walkthrough the setup menu! No dissection yet!

Top Bottom