• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

Descartes

Major Contributor
Coming Soon!

Looking forward to Amir’s review!

If anyone has bought it please share your subjective opinions!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I think it's only plastic, but I like that "holographic?" pattern on the front facia and the overall look that Marantz uses on that range products.

1706731173018.png

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems like Marantz is shipping the silver version in North America, which is very exciting if true!

ban25

It is aluminum from what I understand!
The Perlée textured faceplate is polycarbonate. The inner plate on top of that, which includes the porthole display and the flip-down door, is aluminum. To either side of the inner panel are LEDs that illuminate the textured outer plate.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
The Perlée textured faceplate is polycarbonate. The inner plate on top of that, which includes the porthole display and the flip-down door, is aluminum. To either side of the inner panel are LEDs that illuminate the textured outer plate.
Oh that’s too bad that the entire is not Aluminum!!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
<ahem> <ahem> Marantz Marketing would call it sound attenuation polymer panels.

I wish Marantz would do away with that porthole display. I know it looks snazzy, but I can't see jack squat.
Surprisingly, I like the design. Minimal displays help me not getting distracted from listening, but I can understand users that prefeer a display along the lines of a more explicit Anthem or NAD style; or text lines in the style of Denon or McIntosh AVR´s.

EWL5

Surprisingly, I like the design. Minimal displays help me not getting distracted from listening, but I can understand users that prefeer a display along the lines of a more explicit Anthem or NAD style; or text lines in the style of Denon or McIntosh AVR´s.
To @wunderkind's point, minimal display followed by minimal font size is not very practical! Why even bother?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
To @wunderkind's point, minimal display followed by minimal font size is not very practical! Why even bother?
I can see the source and volume, and that´s good enough for me. Again, I can see many other people considering that stupid, so you either hide the display completely or make it bigger.

ChrisHeinonen

At this point it can't cost that much on your halo receiver product to have the whole porthole be an LCD, so when you're adjusting the volume or input and need to read it, that item takes up the whole display and gets much larger to make it easy, and if you aren't doing anything then it can look like the current one. That tiny two-line LED is very 2003 and not 2023. I'm sure they can get much better pricing on something like this for the porthole: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5806

ban25

At this point it can't cost that much on your halo receiver product to have the whole porthole be an LCD, so when you're adjusting the volume or input and need to read it, that item takes up the whole display and gets much larger to make it easy, and if you aren't doing anything then it can look like the current one. That tiny two-line LED is very 2003 and not 2023. I'm sure they can get much better pricing on something like this for the porthole: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5806
Why not just use the OSD? Or an app? I never look at the LCD...

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I like the new Anthem display with an OLED panel that turns off after a few seconds

ChrisHeinonen

Why not just use the OSD? Or an app? I never look at the LCD...
Two reasons that come to mind fast:
  • Listening to music without the TV on, where an OSD won't do anything
  • I'm unsure if Marantz, or anyone else, can properly overlay a volume control on 4K120Hz HDR content or if higher frame rates are specifically pass-through only. I'd be surprised if they can do an overlay currently.
I'm not a fan of having to pull out an app to do everything and being able to easily use a volume control and being able to read it without relying on an OSD or app is nice. The display is already there, it could just be better without giving up the aesthetic they want.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Any real reviews yet beside the marketing videos out there?

Top Bottom