• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was actually being quite unserious and clowning about the Bose.

I'll just let y'all do the heavy lifting and go with your recommendations that meet my needs & budget; it's appreciated!

It's work quite well in the past. Thanks again!
Welcome aboard, and all that. And we have entire threads for Bose fans. It's OK to like them.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the membership very helpful. My questions are sometimes stated from my non technical background, but the answers have been straight forward and helpful. If there were a ballot for MVP (it would have to be a big ballot to handle worthy nominees) as over the top helpful, I'd nominate @staticV3. Thanks to everyone else... but static's detailed, knowledgeable responses blow me away.
OIG.mX7opLoSaOsrS7xc6qTN
1687552180426.jpeg

tomchris

Besides being nicer to people in general, what about people needlessly derailing threads?
I find it very tedious to plow though the endless barrage of random comments that does not have any relation to a thread topic.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides being nicer to people in general, what about people needlessly derailing threads?
I find it very tedious to plow though the endless barrage of random comments that does not have any relation to a thread topic.
Isn’t that the best thing about ASR? ;)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't this always the case where people talk and everyone has a voice?

There is nothing that can be realistically done to solve this, except more moderation. The denser the moderation, the more they can force a thread to stay on-topic. However, with more moderation comes more restriction, and also more work for the moderators. Not sure it's worth it.

I submit this piece of wisdom: We often suffer more in imagination than in reality. In other words, things are not as bad as people think they are.
We are far away from an unkempt forum where good members die in ditches like dogs and savages force the agenda. :p

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a situation that is tricky. Where does one draw the line in the sand of what is good and bad? For long time members of ASR it's sometimes very difficult not to be a little more personal about stuff with each other as many of us are on a first name basis and are friends. Sometimes the derailing goes off into a interesting commentary that is spontaneous. I think that makes it more interesting than a clinically sterile environment. I am one of the peeps that sometimes goes off subject but I am trying my best not to do it on review threads. I've typed out quite a few comments and then checked to see if it is a review thread and deleted all the commentary before positing it. I'll try to not derail non-review threads but sometimes there is technical information, suggestions or friendly commentary that in my opinion should be tolerated. :D All of this is of course subject to the MODs rules.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We often suffer more in imagination than in reality. In other words, things are not as bad as people think they are.
Very true. I've been one of those before and it's a depressive horrible state to be in. Not going back!
We are far away from an unkempt forum where good members die in ditches like dogs and savages force the agenda. :p
RFLMAO. :D

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was away when @amirm started this thread, so I just became aware of it now. First off, kudos to Amir - I agree 100%.

As for the actual meanness, I also agree - while there are indeed trolls in online discussion, IMHO there are vanishingly few here, and so in my view the term "troll" often seems to get used when someone is frustrated that someone else won't agree with them or doesn't seem to be willing or able to take certain factors or points into account during a disagreement. The frustration is understandable, but the "troll" label is almost always lazy and inaccurate.

I also feel that there's a certain way of interacting that a critical mass of our members here tend to engage in - not all, not necessary even the majority, but still a notable number of folks. I don't view this way of interacting as mean per se, but I do think it's rather blunt and "engineery" - that is, folks will sometimes respond to new members with very strict or ungenerous interpretations of what the new member is trying ask, say, or get at. I think it might be reinforced by the fact that this a truly global forum (which is fantastic!) and many members are not writing in their first language when they post comments in English here. And I think it might also be reinforced a little by the fact that most of us are, you know, dudes. :) And I'm sure it's also reinforced by the fact that it can just feel tedious to have to write or explain the same things over and over to all the new members: but while it's old hat to us, it's brand new to them.

So I would encourage folks to think of being nicer to new folks not as having to be superficially polite just to make people feel good, but instead as trying to learn more about where the new member is coming from. Some people are just intent on spouting their views and will never back down or modify their position - but a lot of people are not like that, and a new member who comes here with guns blazing or strong beliefs might very well turn down the heat if they are not immediately made to feel defensive, stupid, or attacked.

Just my $.02.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello you all. While I consider our forum to be more friendly than many, it seems that we are quite harsh on new members who post things that go against our consensus view. There is no reason to pound on people hard when they say this and that sounds good to them. Let them have some time here to learn what we are about and what the data is.

By the same token, please dial down the complaining. :) Heaven knows every time I do a review, a good percentage is complaining about this and that. When a device performs extremely well, it is time to celebrate, not to think of half a dozen reasons why that is a bad thing. Dealing with all the negative commentary takes away some of the fun of reviewing such gear.

To be sure, you can correct people who try to prove science and engineering is wrong. Or issues you find in my testing or expressing a general opinion. Just be mindful of the negative consequences of it. I know I personally let go of many things that I don't agree with it.

I tell you these things because I see senior members wanting to have their account deleted at times due to the high tensions they see here on so many topics. Let's just be more relaxed about this. OK?
Well said.

I'm a fairly new member myself and I have observed that some more tenured members here can get a bit arrogant, just my observation based on MY PERSONAL experience. Also want to add that at times, I feel based on my observations that moderators here may not necessarily be fair and take on the side of more tenure members or members who are forum donors.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think perhaps you just did the exact thing you're complaining about? For the record, I don't mind at all, just sayin'... :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well said.

I'm a fairly new member myself and I have observed that some more tenured members here can get a bit arrogant, just my observation based on MY PERSONAL experience. Also want to add that at times, I feel based on my observations that moderators here may not necessarily be fair and take on the side of more tenure members or members who are forum donors.
It happens. There are also situations where the members pitch in and mutually go about helping a new member so there are several or more peeps helping and contributing. So I think we should be nicer and at the same time and remember that we are capable of more. :D

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is how human communication works. You ain't ever gonna change it.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the derailment issue, it really should be about where in the thread it happens. Tangentially related, but off topic is ok on page 2. Totally off topic is ok on page 3, etc. At least that is How ARS Technica deals with it (not those specific numbers), and I think the culture of posting there is pretty healthy. Though they also have the downvote button and if your score goes to -20, you’re auto hidden.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the derailment issue, it really should be about where in the thread it happens. Tangentially related, but off topic is ok on page 2. Totally off topic is ok on page 3, etc. At least that is How ARS Technica deals with it (not those specific numbers), and I think the culture of posting there is pretty healthy. Though they also have the downvote button and if your score goes to -20, you’re auto hidden.
I think other than being a pain in the butt for some members to read the stuff the MODs do have extra work made for them when with a little due care and attention we can minimize that off topic stuff and make their lives better.

tomchris

I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think perhaps you just did the exact thing you're complaining about? For the record, I don't mind at all, just say

Well, no. Let me break it down for you:

Thread topic: Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

Points raised by Amir:
1. Be more friendly towards newcomers
2. Dial down complaining in reviews
3. Correct people's misunderstandings, but be mindful about it

Above points are raised in the context of making/keeping this forums a positive and learning experience for everyone, especially to newcomers.

In keeping with the context of making/keeping this forums a positive and learning experience for everyone, I raised another point about thread derailing.

So, no. I am not derailing this thread topic talking about matters that are entirely different from the context of this thread or what Amir aims to achieve by the issues mentioned.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though they also have the downvote button and if your score goes to -20, you’re auto hidden.
That leads to echo chambers, see Reddit. It's a sure way to remove serious discussion. The yesmen flourish, the thinkers get downvoted.
There should be no penalty for saying things not mainstream or popular.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I find the membership very helpful. My questions are sometimes stated from my non technical background, but the answers have been straight forward and helpful. If there were a ballot for MVP (it would have to be a big ballot to handle worthy nominees) as over the top helpful, I'd nominate @staticV3. Thanks to everyone else... but static's detailed, knowledgeable responses blow me away.
I have to 2nd and 3rd this. @staticV3 is one of the best at answering the actual question posed by newcomers, and not seeing it as an opportunity to express his own opinion regarding the question.

Top Bottom