• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry, in my previous reply, I forgot about another explanation for the 1kHz dip (which I also found in a bigger sibling's R11 measurement):
Some sort of acoustic cancellation due to tweeter-mid interaction.

Maybe the "tangerine" is the culprit here.
Please read Erin’s post regarding the placement of the shadow flare

Nusse

Forum Donor
Just curious, what improvement comes from your 3D printed flare ?

Hi, The 3D-printed flare was made in 2016 for the midrange/tweeter-driver SP1632 used in the previous KEF Rx00- series (long before the nice flare of the new R-series was released) for a project I never finished (2x10" woofer, each loudspeaker)

Hi Nusse,

Would you care to share .stl files for 3D prints of shadow flare for R3 (new) version of coax ?

Yes of course, But I need to find it...

I think the midrange cone of the new KEF driver has the same curvature as the old one and the 3D-printed flare should work nice for both drivers. Maybe I will have time to measure them both.

DSC_1616.JPGKef_flare.JPGDSC_0036.JPGkefur.JPG

Zvu

@Nusse Please, when you find it, post them here. I have a set of kef r series coaxes on the way and you would save me the trouble of going through that myself.

Biblob

@Nusse Please, when you find it, post them here. I have a set of kef r series coaxes on the way and you would save me the trouble of going through that myself.
Is there a place where you can buy these drivers?

Zvu

https://setelec-shop.fr/

I have to say though, i've made an order 20.12.2020 and it still isn't where it should be (at my friend in Sweden). I have used paypall so will definitely start a dispute unless something changes in next two weeks. I understand that covid makes logistic nightmare for everyone but if you push the deadline 2 months, then you're really just doing ****** business. Letters arrived faster during WW1.

Last edited:

Nusse

Forum Donor
This should probably be in a DIY thread...
I hope this is the right one. The flare/"ring" is an extension of the carefully measured cone of the SP1632. I think you need to increase the hole a little.
Change extension to .step

x-section.JPG

Attachments

• ring v4.txt
    26.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

fmplayer

Hi, The 3D-printed flare was made in 2016 for the midrange/tweeter-driver SP1632 used in the previous KEF Rx00- series (long before the nice flare of the new R-series was released) for a project I never finished (2x10" woofer, each loudspeaker)

Yes of course, But I need to find it...

I think the midrange cone of the new KEF driver has the same curvature as the old one and the 3D-printed flare should work nice for both drivers. Maybe I will have time to measure them both.

View attachment 113371
If the flare is the icing on the cake, the cake (the driver) ain't bad at all: large magnet, injection moulded chassis, ... which proves the good engineering put into the R series. Seen worse items in competition (parts quality or snake oil, take your pick).
Retail price is roughly 170€, equivalent to the SEAS L12RE/XFC. In the end, if you had to DIY the R3, cost of parts and labour for a similar fit'n finish would be the same as its retail price. Only thing that could bother me is the xover parts quality which isn't on par with the drivers. But that's another topic.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OFF-TOPIC for DIY

If you are willing to experiment, you can also extend the flare. The basic rule is that if you look at the cutaway diagram, the angle should get flatter and flatter the further out you go on the flare (see green lines in the example below).
This does not guarantee an optimal result, but anything else is guaranteed to be a disaster.

1613722151834.png

Reactions: Zvu

fmplayer

https://setelec-shop.fr/

I have to say though, i've made an order 20.12.2020 and it still isn't where it should be (at my friend in Sweden). I have used paypall so will definitely start a dispute unless something changes in next two weeks. I understand that covid makes logistic nightmare for everyone but if you push the deadline 2 months, then you're really just doing ****** business. Letters arrived faster during WW1.

It is a french company. Here in France, due to COVID and Brexit, Kef announced a 2 months delay on my R3s. The company claims 15 days restocking according to Kef, so I guess it's the same problem here. FWIW

Zvu

Thanks for the info. @fmplayer

Problem is that they claim they've sent the parcel 02.02.2021. When i enter the tracking number at La poste website, it shows that it waits for the delivery since 07.02.2021

In reality, when i enter that tracking number at postnord.se i get an invalid number alarm.

пошта.jpg

Last edited:

Nusse

Forum Donor

Problem is that they claim to send the parcel 02.02.2021. When i enter the tracking number at La poste website, it shows that it waits for the delivery since 07.02.2021

In reality, when i enter that tracking number at postnord.se i get an invalid number alarm.

View attachment 113514
Hi,

I have a friend who ordered a few weeks earlier than you did and he received them two weeks ago.

You can not use the La Poste track no @ Postnord (that would be too easy)

Instruction for the French trck no...

1. Use your trck no @ La poste. Scroll down and look for Further information --> Type of Delivery Partner --> Copy the 27 digit long code... --> remove the first seven digit no and the last six... --> Use that 14 digit long code @ Postnord--> Finished. Really easy ;)

Attachments

• post.JPG
    post.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 87

fmplayer

Problem is that they claim to send the parcel 02.02.2021. When i enter the tracking number at La poste website, it shows that it waits for the delivery since 07.02.2021

View attachment 113514
According to La poste, parcel is in Sweden since february 4th and should be delivered on appointment by local delivery service (messages from 05.02 and 07.02)
Seems like delay is due to postnord (Pffuuu lol). Be brave .... closer than farther ...

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 113514

That sounds like the problem maybe lies with the delivery service, not the manufacturer. Sounds like they somehow lost it in their system, electronically.

This happened to me recently. I had to go to the post office physically and ask them to look for it. First time the lady went in the back for about 5 mins and then came back and said "it's not here". I told her I was confident it was, so she and another worker went back to look again. Eventually, they found it in a box it shouldn't have been in, and they're electronic records of it were goofed.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
La Poste obviously has some hickups with co-operators. Audiophonics.fr sends via it too and it took me 3 weeks to get my Aune X1s. Perhaps it is Covid that makes post orders to delay?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize if I cover old ground here, but I don't know how to dig this out of 52 pages of posts.

Looking at the spin, it seems that these speakers preserve broad (lack of) directivity vertically better than horizontally. Would there be an advantage to placing them sideways on a stand or bookshelf? Am I reading the spin data correctly?

Rick "just trying to learn how to interpret spin data" Denney

tecnogadget

I apologize if I cover old ground here, but I don't know how to dig this out of 52 pages of posts.

Looking at the spin, it seems that these speakers preserve broad (lack of) directivity vertically better than horizontally. Would there be an advantage to placing them sideways on a stand or bookshelf? Am I reading the spin data correctly?

As a personal experience I have tried for fun different stands height ranging from 45cm to 70cm and the measured In Room response didn’t change where it mattered, so yes the coaxial concentric design is making it’s trick and makes placement very flexible, or saying the same in a different way the speaker is very insensitive to placement due to great directivity.

fmplayer

Like for all of us, port is on the rear, so forget about bookshelf because they are deep and they need room in case you use them vented.
Actually listen to them on 50cm stands, bass driver being 62cm from the floor, 47cm from back wall and 100 from side walls. According to room gain simulation it impacts the mid the least and compensates nicely for the bass shelving. I tried changing location but lo mid and bass worsens.

Simulation suggests 2 other suitable placements with 70cm stands if someone is interested.

So far, I tried both bass reflex options, closed option and aperiodic with some light port stuffing with loose fabric and ended with the latter as a good compromise for bass. With a sub, closed would be a better option IMO. Maybe less bass, but port is too close to back wall and and it muddles bass, at least with my current amp. Waiting for my ncore Hypexes for fresh evaluation.

Directivity is good and allows a wide range of listening positions without affecting tonality, provided you don't care too much about pin point imaging.

Hope it helps

Top Bottom