• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta vs Linton vs ?

sefril

Hello,

Need suggestion here, looking for upgrade in speaker. From Audioengine HDP6, i want to buy the replacement.

Seems like KEF R3 and Linton got nice review here (and in Erin‘s review). No floorstanding because my job require me to move from time to time to another town (about 2 years).

In my country, R3 Meta costs about US$2k, Linton about half of that. From the differential in price, I can buy for subwoofer if i choose Linton (or maybe I can save the money and use it for another hobby, lol). Need help and opinion, are the $1k difference from R3 Meta and Linton worth it? Do i need subwoofer (which of course will make my moving to another town a little bit harder)? Or maybe there’s another option in my budget?

For the information, my system is: laptop - VMV D1SEv2 (yeah, too fancy for DAC.. but I got a bargain at about $450) - Fosi Audio ZA3. I listen to 80’s and 90’s rock, symphonic metal, classical.

Thank you.

*ps: sorry for my Bad English (pun intended, one of my collection of songs lol)

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Lintons received good reviews and from the measurements they turned out to be excellent speakers, furthermore, having an 8-inch woofer they may have less need for an accompanying subwoofer than the R3s, let's say that in your case I would prefer them, they are the cheapest solution, the one with the least needs to integrate a sub and they still measure very well.

hifi_nj

I have the Lintons and love them. I have a subwoofer but have not been hooking it up with the Lintons as I have enough bass for my tastes. You can play with the amount of bass you need through proximity to the back wall / EQ if you have it.

Although the R3 have a smaller woofer at 6.5 inches, the data suggests that they output similar bass to the Lintons 8 inch woofer. This comes at a cost in sensitivity i.e. you need more juice for the R3's. If you don't intend on changing your amp, I'd go for the Lintons.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Per the data the two speakers look comparable. So if you don't have a strong preference for aesthetics or a good idea of what sound you want, I say just go for the Lintons.

Svet Angelov

I like about this much:

1_AKIxlKOHcNRAFzSMSJPnDQ.jpg

Me with the Lintons!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This may help:

I would also suggest Ascend Sierra LX:

GaryY

Forum Donor
This is with non meta R3, but hope it helps.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have an active monitor, desk set-up in my home office, but I really like the look of the Lintons. If I were to have a second system in the living room, they'd be on my short list, either with a classic looking amp, preferably with VU meters, or perhaps some small mono-block amps that could sit on those shelves on the speaker stands, one directly under each speaker. :)

7jm

I got the lintons a few weeks back, changed from elac dbr62. They are monster speakers if you include the stands and I wouldn't like to have to move them too often. 'Regular' bookshelf and stands would be much easier to move along with many floor standers.
I found that they sound great with a big scale and certainly enough bass that I don't hanker for a sub. However, being rear ported they will need breathing space at the back and in my case energise room modes contributing to a bit of bass bloat. The umik 1 is scheduled to come out to inform some peq to tame those. With some peq in place I look forward to some seriously enjoyable listening.

hifi_nj

I can second all this, scale is amazing. They definitely need some room to breathe at the rear though. The sweet spot is wide for me and the bass is great there however they activate some room modes for me at the sides of my 45 m2 room. I have PEQ'd for this.

OP
S

sefril

The Lintons received good reviews and from the measurements they turned out to be excellent speakers, furthermore, having an 8-inch woofer they may have less need for an accompanying subwoofer than the R3s, let's say that in your case I would prefer them, they are the cheapest solution, the one with the least needs to integrate a sub and they still measure very well.
thanks. So with Linton i don‘t need the sub.
I have the Lintons and love them. I have a subwoofer but have not been hooking it up with the Lintons as I have enough bass for my tastes. You can play with the amount of bass you need through proximity to the back wall / EQ if you have it.

Although the R3 have a smaller woofer at 6.5 inches, the data suggests that they output similar bass to the Lintons 8 inch woofer. This comes at a cost in sensitivity i.e. you need more juice for the R3's. If you don't intend on changing your amp, I'd go for the Lintons.
Thanks, i didn’t plan to change the amp. Maybe i’ll upgrade for dual mono ZA3 in the future, not for extra watt but for better separation. If i can’t hear the difference then i could put the other ZA3 in my real home. lol
I think if you're not going to use a sub with the KEFs then they won't be as enjoyable as the Lintons by themselves. People always underestimate how much bass they'd like. I know I did ;)
thanks. So Linton equal massive bass.:)
Per the data the two speakers look comparable. So if you don't have a strong preference for aesthetics or a good idea of what sound you want, I say just go for the Lintons.
don’t have wife yet so aesthetic is not too important :D but yeah, that R3 walnut is very gorgeous and elegant
This may help:

I would also suggest Ascend Sierra LX:

thanks, i really like the Sierra too (especially the ribbon one becaue in my real home i have the custom floorstander with ribbon tweeter and sounds great. Although the driver is not too fancy, Hivi Swans ribbon tweeter). Too bad there’s no AA distributor here in Indonesia.
This is with non meta R3, but hope it helps.

thanks, i read so many input from that thread! It seems that majority like the Linton.
I have an active monitor, desk set-up in my home office, but I really like the look of the Lintons. If I were to have a second system in the living room, they'd be on my short list, either with a classic looking amp, preferably with VU meters, or perhaps some small mono-block amps that could sit on those shelves on the speaker stands, one directly under each speaker. :)
cool, i didn’t thought of the classic retro aspect match with the whole system. I mean d1sev2 and ZA3 for me is like modern style. :D
I got the lintons a few weeks back, changed from elac dbr62. They are monster speakers if you include the stands and I wouldn't like to have to move them too often. 'Regular' bookshelf and stands would be much easier to move along with many floor standers.
I found that they sound great with a big scale and certainly enough bass that I don't hanker for a sub. However, being rear ported they will need breathing space at the back and in my case energise room modes contributing to a bit of bass bloat. The umik 1 is scheduled to come out to inform some peq to tame those. With some peq in place I look forward to some seriously enjoyable listening.
Here in my country, every Linton is sold including the stand, lol. I haven’t found any store that only sold the speaker. But I plan to send only the speaker and keep the stand in my real home. But yeah, i need to think again about the dimension (and weight) of Linton.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ascend you would have to buy directly from them, pay customs, etc. They ship worldwide AFAIK.

OP
S

sefril

Ascend you would have to buy directly from them, pay customs, etc. They ship worldwide AFAIK.
Yeah but the customs and tax makes them really expensive.

I just read another recommendation, this time from Elac brand. How dou you guys compare Linton with DBR62 and UBR62? And maybe Carina BS 243.4? Except for DBR (40% price of Linton), they priced similarly.

Top Bottom