• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is really exciting :) Engineering wise this is how to do it basically. I love this idea . This is how to make speakers.

Caveats .

Kef’s app and software and firmware How is it these days ? Hardware companies routinely underestimate software development to a predictability that is boring.

I sure which there was a wood veneer . The leaked design options according to my taste ;)

The dark blue does not fit such a large speaker imho .

White is always terrible it does not age well it just looks like old dirty kitchen cabinets after a while . Imho.

They boring dark grey is the only one you can buy it’s basically non offensive even if it’s not great , bleh , that’s what I would order .

Wood ages well a couple of scratches and dent does no do anything really it only gives some patina , please give us wood :) with aluminium front as an option like the ref series .

The blade like design with lacquered cabinet works well with a curved and rounded design , a box is better in other finishes , again imho .

I would not nitpick if it where not :

Expensive ( not for great speakers but compared to normal income).

KEF , they are good they can do even better , one sort of expects greatness from KEF .

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The surround looks so big... ( the distance between the driver and the circular thing)
Maybe this speaker is using the KC62 P-Flex

index.php

nothingman

Man, these LS60s are really, really cool. Ever since I heard the original Blades and got my LS50 Metas, I’ve had my heart set on them moving to an affordable three-way point-source design to sit between the two models. Maybe I’m a fanboy but if these measure as well as we can assume, KEF is just mopping the floor with the competition.

However, I did not expect them to go active. I’m sure part of the sound quality magic will be the immense power, active crossovers, and the distortion correction tech that is already seen on the KC62, but for some of us having a separate preamp and amp is a just a practical matter. That comes down to basics like having enough input sources, a physical remote for the whole AV system instead of an app, and being able to hide away everything except the two speaker cables. These wireless models, once you’re done plugging them into power and running a couple sources into them and sub RCAs out of them, and then connecting them to each other via CAT6… it’s a bigger aesthetic mess than traditional equipment.

Last thing, doing this in a passive three-way standmount with one 6.5 driver on each side would be killer. They’ve just shown they can deliver that in a package that is thinner than a LS50. Now I say offer a three-way LS50. It could cost closer to an R5 than an R3 given the number of drivers, and it would offer an alternative for folks who are willing to give up a little bit of bass output from losing cabinet volume in trade for the impeccable dispersion of the point-source design.

Anyways... KEF’s killing it. Can’t wait to hear more details, and then literally hear them!

JiiPee

However, I did not expect them to go active. I’m sure part of the sound quality magic will be the immense power, active crossovers, and the distortion correction tech that is already seen on the KC62, but for some of us having a separate preamp and amp is a just a practical matter. That comes down to basics like having enough input sources, a physical remote for the whole AV system instead of an app, and being able to hide away everything except the two speaker cables. These wireless models, once you’re done plugging them into power and running a couple sources into them and sub RCAs out of them, and then connecting them to each other via CAT6… it’s a bigger aesthetic mess than traditional equipment.

All wireless connections are not equal. For example, with the WISA-standard compatible systems (like System Audio, Buchardt etc...) You can still have your preamp with all its features and connect it to WISA-transmitter as You would connect it to power amp, or if You have digital outputs on Your preamp, You can use those to connect with the WISA- transmitter.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coaxial driver is 5" rather than 5.25" mainly because the surround is smaller and less flexible. After all, it doesn't have to go as low as in the ls50. The 4 woofers look to be around 5.25" which is a disappointment.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to know if this is the ls50 meta uni-q as is or if it’s a new variant for ls60 only ?
As ls60 is now a three way one could surely optimise the driver it’s motor and surround etc for midrange duty ?
There will probably be a white paper soon ? I hope .

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Everything is the same as with the LS50wireless II, same apps, same connections (and specs), same support of streaming etc etc. Only cabinet, drivers and amps are different.
You forgot the price. :(

AirTimeDMC-12

The surround looks so big... ( the distance between the driver and the circular thing)
Maybe this speaker is using the KC62 P-Flex

index.php
Yes, they are. This LS60 project is why the KC62 exists in the first place. The technology is devoloped for the LS60. Kef just decided to created another new product from it and released it as a separate subwoofer as well, the KC62

OP
T

ThELiZ

No mention of room correction... Yet. Personally, I can't see them adding it, which is a shame. All this tech is worthless if the room is shite. Yeah, you can PEQ via Roon, but I've never been able to get as good a result with PEQ as I have with Dirac.

But the biggest turn off for me is that these look poop. Other than those 2 caveats, these would have been my perfect speaker.

AirTimeDMC-12

Coaxial driver is 5" rather than 5.25" mainly because the surround is smaller and less flexible. After all, it doesn't have to go as low as in the ls50. The 4 woofers look to be around 5.25" which is a disappointment.
Yes, MF is 5", but the woofers are 6,5. Same dimensions as R-series

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, MF is 5", but the woofers are 6,5. Same dimensions as R-series
Is that a given spec? I looked at the photo and compared to the man's hand I thought 5" plus a surround.

AirTimeDMC-12

Would be interesting to know if this is the ls50 meta uni-q as is or if it’s a new variant for ls60 only ?
As ls60 is now a three way one could surely optimise the driver it’s motor and surround etc for midrange duty ?
There will probably be a white paper soon ? I hope .
No, there are different. Both have Meta tech and the 12th gen Uni-Q. The MF in de LS50 is 5,25", but they are smaller in the LS60; 5". Being a big LS50 fan, but wished for a floorstander version for a long time, I am wondering of this new 5" driver will have the LS50 sound, or more like R-series which are also using a 5" MF

BDE

[...]
- €6000,- per pair
[...]

Mh, then I prefer to save for additional 2 weeks and buy the portable version, it will be sold as Lotus Elektre.
For more or less the same money I will get 23 pcs. KEF speaker including a battery pack and some tiers for easy movement... :facepalm:

Lotus-Eletre-Hyper-SUV-mit-KEF-Reference-Sound-System-11.jpg

I tried the nice way to say the LS60 is overpriced, especially if you can DIY something compareable with a reasonable effort.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like them... a lot. I sure wish there was somewhere I could go to hear them.

Martin

Top Bottom