• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

Laagman

Hi all,

I’ve had my current setup for several years now. Existing of Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers, a Rega Elicit R amp and a Cambridge Audio CXN streamed. I’m quiet happy with it, but I’m missing some clarity and punch (sorry for those audiophile terms). The trebles sound a bit off when playing songs with lots of acoustic drums.

I want to switch to an active system and I’m looking into the usual suspects: KEF ls60, Dutch & Dutch 8c, Kii Seven or Three.

Maybe someone who heard all of my options could help me with some thing.

- The Kef LS60 is almost 1/3 of the price of the D&Ds and Kii’s. How does the sound of the LS60 compare to the D&Ds and Kii 3s? Would I miss out on much (except the integrated room correction options of the D&Ds and Kii 3s)?

- The Kii 7 is still expensive but more in reach then the D&Ds and Kii 3s. How does the Kii 7 compare to the LS60? And does it come close in range?

Thanks for your help.

songOVERsound

I highly doubt you will find anyone who has compared Kii Seven to much of anything (unless you count auditioning speakers at an event)

I’m patiently waiting for measurements on the Kii seven

dfuller

Major Contributor
The DD8Cs and both Kiis are cardioid midbass response. They will be less sensitive to room issues because of that.

More similar price wise to the LS60s are the Mesanovic CDM65.

OP
L

Laagman

The DD8Cs and both Kiis are cardioid midbass response. They will be less sensitive to room issues because of that.

More similar price wise to the LS60s are the Mesanovic CDM65.
Yes, I understand that. The DDs and Kiis are interesting, but I’m wondering if cardioid and the build in room correction options justify 3 times the price. I’m lucky I could scrape it together, but doesn’t justify me spending it.

I’ve read that the LS60s design isn’t too hard on room issues.

Will look into the Mesanovic thanks.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- The Kef LS60 is almost 1/3 of the price of the D&Ds and Kii’s. How does the sound of the LS60 compare to the D&Ds and Kii 3s? Would I miss out on much (except the integrated room correction options of the D&Ds and Kii 3s)?

songOVERsound

Yes, I understand that. The DDs and Kiis are interesting, but I’m wondering if cardioid and the build in room correction options justify 3 times the price. I’m lucky I could scrape it together, but doesn’t justify me spending it.

Do you already have your room acoustically treated? And by that I mean… dedicated space with $$$ into treatment? Measured etc..

If not, then yes… I’ve bought two sets of speakers AND have boat loads of money into treatment and am still wanting the Kii seven’s - waiting on measurements..

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I’ve had my current setup for several years now. Existing of Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers, a Rega Elicit R amp and a Cambridge Audio CXN streamed. I’m quiet happy with it, but I’m missing some clarity and punch (sorry for those audiophile terms). The trebles sound a bit off when playing songs with lots of acoustic drums.

I want to switch to an active system and I’m looking into the usual suspects: KEF ls60, Dutch & Dutch 8c, Kii Seven or Three.

Maybe someone who heard all of my options could help me with some thing.

- The Kii 7 is still expensive but more in reach then the D&Ds and Kii 3s. How does the Kii 7 compare to the LS60? And does it come close in range?

Thanks for your help.
I have all three, and the Mesanovic RTM10s, the 65s look great and the Kii Sevens haven’t been released quite yet.
I know it’s not much help but you really need to hear all three in your own space.
Keith

OP
L

Laagman

Do you already have your room acoustically treated? And by that I mean… dedicated space with $$$ into treatment? Measured etc..

If not, then yes… I’ve bought two sets of speakers AND have boat loads of money into treatment and am still wanting the Kii seven’s - waiting on measurements..

I haven’t treated my room because it’s my living room. Except from curtains and a rug. I did some digital room correction though, mostly to help with the bass.

Have you considered Buchardt?
Will look into it.
I have all three, and the Mesanovic RTM10s, the 65s look great and the Kii Sevens haven’t been released quite yet.
I know it’s not much help but you really need to hear all three in your own space.
Keith
Thanks, yes I think I will wait till more is known about the Sevens.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For sound quality value per dollar, of course not. 50$ of first reflection absorption would do more for sound quality than cardioide without treatment.

But there's more to consider than that with active speakers. Functionality, sound character, ease of use, versatility, loudness, reliability, space, looks etc.
Nobody can tell you what you hold valuable.

OP
L

Laagman

For sound quality value per dollar, of course not. 50$ of first reflection absorption would do more for sound quality than cardioide without treatment.

But there's more to consider than that with active speakers. Functionality, sound character, ease of use, versatility, loudness, reliability, space, looks etc.
Nobody can tell you what you hold valuable.
Truth. Ease of use is a reason to switch to active. Not having all those components around. Kii Seven, Mesavonic and LS60 have the advantage that I can ditch my streamer too.

Since it’s my living room setup looks are also important. The mesavonics look great. The Kii 3s don’t fit my interior, so if I’m going to spend that kind of money I probably would choose the 8cs.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
- The Kef LS60 is almost 1/3 of the price of the D&Ds and Kii’s.
Have you looked at the "usual suspects" in the LS60's price range, such as Genelec (83x0 or 83x1 series) and Neumann (KH series)? These are also available with integrated room correction and are highly accurate. The Genelec 83x1 series has coax drivers like KEF.
Since it’s my living room setup looks are also important.
For looks, I give bonus points to KEF's wireless speakers. No speaker wire / XLR cables to route.

songOVERsound

Keith
You have the Kii seven? Can you tell if it’s a sealed enclosure or ported? (Curious about how the low end drops off)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Not released I believe until next month, over here in the U.K. at least.
I would expect it to sound just like the three just with less bass extension and output.
Keith

OP
L

Laagman

Actually I’m going to listen to the seven and three this friday. Kii is hosting an event close to my home. And I can use it as an excuse to flee from home, while my mother in law is visiting us

OP
L

Laagman

Have you looked at the "usual suspects" in the LS60's price range, such as Genelec (83x0 or 83x1 series) and Neumann (KH series)? These are also available with integrated room correction and are highly accurate. The Genelec 83x1 series has coax drivers like KEF.

For looks, I give bonus points to KEF's wireless speakers. No speaker wire / XLR cables to route.

I did check the Genelecs but don’t dig the style. Will look into the Neumann.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did check the Genelecs but don’t dig the style. Will look into the Neumann.
I understand. Both are more industrial in style, intended for the workspace instead of the living room.

songOVERsound

Actually I’m going to listen to the seven and three this friday. Kii is hosting an event close to my home. And I can use it as an excuse to flee from home, while my mother in law is visiting us
Can you look at the bottom of the sevens and see if they have the ability to slide on either BXT’s or maybe a different extension unit in the future?

Perfect “excuse” to check them out haha

OP
L

Laagman

Can you look at the bottom of the sevens and see if they have the ability to slide on either BXT’s or maybe a different extension unit in the future?

Perfect “excuse” to check them out haha
I will try and ask for you.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You used to have to change the base of the Kii Three to enable the ‘slide on’ to the BXTs.
The standard base was flat.
Keith

Top Bottom