• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

nick-v

No mention of room correction... Yet. Personally, I can't see them adding it, which is a shame. All this tech is worthless if the room is shite. Yeah, you can PEQ via Roon, but I've never been able to get as good a result with PEQ as I have with Dirac.

But the biggest turn off for me is that these look poop. Other than those 2 caveats, these would have been my perfect speaker.
If you have access to and experience with REW and you use Roon, you can get truly excellent results (even tailoring a specific target curve like you can within Dirac Live). I'd agree that Dirac is still better, but you can achieve excellent results with Roon convolution filters generated within REW.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the nice way to say the LS60 is overpriced, especially if you can DIY something compareable with a reasonable effort.
Well, let’s see:
Coax: about €120
Woofers: about €120 each
Amp + DSP with comparable power: about €750 for the biggest Hypex Fusion
A pi and some other stuff for streaming: let’s say €100…
Cabinet, finish and random bits : €250

Brings us at roughly €1700 per speaker. € 3000 for a finished one with warranty and guaranteed performance isn’t too bad really.

nothingman

I get that DIY can get good results for some people, but you think you’re going to cobble together something with the refinement of everything KEF has put into these three-way, six driver, point source speakers with advanced proprietary dsp and active crossovers and 700w per chancel? C’mon.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, let’s see:
Coax: about €120
Woofers: about €120 each
Amp + DSP with comparable power: about €750 for the biggest Hypex Fusion
A pi and some other stuff for streaming: let’s say €100…
Cabinet, finish and random bits : €250

Brings us at roughly €1700 per speaker. € 3000 for a finished one with warranty and guaranteed performance isn’t too bad really.
Cabinet finish and random bits is 250 euroo???

What are you a Vietnamese child slave?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cabinet finish and random bits is 250 euroo???

What are you a Vietnamese child slave?
I assume that one has all the tools available to do it yourself… it’s DIY after all ;) admittedly, €250 might be on the low side, but is probably doable. Obviously I’m not counting a single hour of labor here. So once you start outsourcing jobs, you can pile one quite a bit more… then just buy the damn things already.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
..and try to find just as good similar drivers ?

One of the things that’s distinguish KEF from typical “box stuffers” is that they really developed their own drivers and speakers together , not just speced some special variations from someone

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
..and try to find just as good similar drivers ?
Well, you can just buy the KEF coaxes ;). Woofer wise there are plenty of options, won’t look as cool though.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have access to and experience with REW and you use Roon, you can get truly excellent results (even tailoring a specific target curve like you can within Dirac Live). I'd agree that Dirac is still better, but you can achieve excellent results with Roon convolution filters generated within REW.
Or you can buy a MiniDSP Flex with Dirac. Either way, one has to connect everything through another device first. The main attraction of internal DSP is that nothing else is needed. If true about a lack of DSP control, it is a big limitation.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No Blade drivers though..maybe they can be ordered..:p
You might need to be patient though, have been waiting for LS50 replacement tweeter for a few months now.. hopefully it’s there in June.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the LS60 wireless has four 6.5" woofers it makes the R11 look obsolete. Maybe the other rumored speakers kill off the R7 and R3. Despite it's excellent measured performance it never took off in the marketplace like the LS50.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If the LS60 wireless has four 6.5" woofers it makes the R11 look obsolete. Maybe the other rumored speakers kill off the R7 and R3. Despite it's excellent measured performance it never took off in the marketplace like the LS50.
Give me a center speaker and atmos satellites to combine with a bunch of passive LS50 and a pair of 60´s and I´ll be a really, really happy man.

Oh, and an upgraded KC92... :D

Dreaming is cheap, asking for stuff too.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the LS60 wireless has four 6.5" woofers it makes the R11 look obsolete. Maybe the other rumored speakers kill off the R7 and R3.
The R11 is still passive, about 1K cheaper and will go louder and probably lower (it’s a reflex design). I bet the LS60 spinorama will be better though. LS60 for home cinema is also not ideal. You can only buy them in pairs, there is no center (LS50WII possibly?).

They should sell them individually, with WISA support for wireless home theater, and release a center version. That would make for a really cool setup!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The R11 is still passive, about 1K cheaper and will go louder and probably lower (it’s a reflex design). I bet the LS60 spinorama will be better though. LS60 for home cinema is also not ideal. You can only buy them in pairs, there is no center (LS50WII possibly?).

They should sell them individually, with WISA support for wireless home theater, and release a center version. That would make for a really cool setup!
Luckily we are not the designers for KEF. Otherwise, all kind of unselleable and funky products would show up. But the fun, oh the fun...

Top Bottom