• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking of asking VK if they have a pair of 934K in Nashville. I'd drive and pick them up.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I emailed them about that speaker. It is what it says SINGLE black demo. What the hell would I do with 1?
They still have the 901s
Screenshot_20240225_014919_Chrome.jpg

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry it was the 801K they said they only had 1. It was in Troy MI.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyway back to the OP, Kii, Dutch and Dutch 8c, Kef LS60 I don't want to derail thevthread.

Maybe add a pair (or 4) of rhythik subs and a processor wih Dirac ART to the Lintons.
Would give all of the above a run for the money.

songOVERsound

Geithains make a lot of sense if you are pulling your speakers a couple feet or more from the front wall, but not if you slamming them up close to the front wall.

Kii seven is opposite. Put them up close to the front wall and get extra free bass, attenuate if needed and now less distortion from the drivers in the low end. Makes all the sense to me. But they don’t work well with Trinnov, which sucks

poopy

Geithains make a lot of sense if you are pulling your speakers a couple feet or more from the front wall, but not if you slamming them up close to the front wall.

Kii seven is opposite. Put them up close to the front wall and get extra free bass, attenuate if needed and now less distortion from the drivers in the low end. Makes all the sense to me. But they don’t work well with Trinnov, which sucks
Totally agree. Kii and D&D are certainly best options if you need for some reasons to have your monitors very close to the front wall.

prestigetone

From the manual

The speakers RL901K however utilize cardioid radiation characteristics with rearward attenuation greater than 10dB. Because of this structural measurement installation near walls is considerably less critical. For optimum listening experience a minimum distance of 20cm (7.9′′) to walls and furniture should be ensured. Avoid corner installations because unwanted bass accentuation could arise.

songOVERsound

From the manual

The speakers RL901K however utilize cardioid radiation characteristics with rearward attenuation greater than 10dB. Because of this structural measurement installation near walls is considerably less critical. For optimum listening experience a minimum distance of 20cm (7.9′′) to walls and furniture should be ensured. Avoid corner installations because unwanted bass accentuation could arise.
That’s to the back of the speaker. The sound emanates from the front. Most their speakers are 12ish + inches deep putting you around 20 inches, not 7.9

So 20ish inches is MINIMUM, so odds are, it will be more than 20 inches… which is why I said a couple feet.

When calculating SBIR, you use the front of the speaker, not the back. Why? Because not every speaker has the same depth, and if speakers emanate sound from the front… it is an unnecessary added step to have to consider the the back of the speaker when you have to add the speaker depth anyways. Why not just calculate from the front to begin with?

Manufactures don’t defeat the laws of physics (you still have to deduct the cardioid cancellation of course)

Kii Seven’s don’t go cardiod until higher up the frequency response, AND their woofers are on the side which put them closer to the front wall so you don’t have to worry about “cancellation” because you are using boundary reinforcement, much like the DD8C’s and Kii three’s

OP
L

Laagman

The brand Buchardt was mentioned in this thread. I was looking into the A700. They offer a home demo, but returns will cost you 200€.

I see they also have a cardioid tuning and they are priced between the LS60 and Kii Seven.

Does someone have experience with this model? It sure looks attractive, but couldn’t find much information about this model except for complains about the platin hub (which seems fixed).

How does the cardioid tuning compare to the standard cardioid D&D and Kii?

Top Bottom